Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my brake pads for the front. Is there any specific instructions on changing the front brakes? Is there a special way or do I need any specialty tools for replacing the front brake pads? Thank You.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The brakes look to be a floating caliper design. All you need to do is remove one of the caliper bolts and flip the caliper open. It would be best to remove the bolt furthest from where the brake line attaches to the caliper. If you need more brake line slack, remove the brake line clip affixing the brake line to the strut.

As for pushing back the pistons, you should be able to use either a big screwdriver or the handle of a hammer to pry it back into the caliper.

all in all, it should take less than an hour to do both fronts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thank You very much, :) I am going to do them on Monday as well as the fogs with the Krypton Plasma's.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I done the front pads.

Front Pads done. Fogs done. Looks good. Can't wait for tonight to see how close the fogs match the Hids. I saw some rotors that look like It can go with our stock brake set-up. I will keep all of you posted. I haved to do a little more research. Very Nice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
so how was the install of the pads?

·
Registered
185 Posts
One comment, and one question.

Some ABS brake systems can be damaged if you force brake fluid backwards through the system when pressing the caliper piston back. Not sure on Infiniti as I have not had to service the brakes yet. As a precaution I always open the bleeder and let the fluid out that way.

Do the stock Infiniti brake pads have the squealers on them? The squealers are the little metal brackets that touch the rotors and let you know it's time for new pads before the rotors are scored.

Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes

The brake pads do come with a squealer. No problem with pressing the caliper into the housing either. It took 30 minutes to do both pads. Next time I will/maybe paint the calipers fire engine red with the heat treated paint. The job was very easy. Don't forget to use the existing shems that goes behind the pad . I never had any problems with my brakes with noise or knocking or squealing. So, when I read that some people have experienced this I was surprised. These brakes are very good. It took longer for me to change the fogs than brakes. I have to thank my buddy Brian for being there. He is a master mechanic for Nissan. He is going to be there when I get the S/C. He coaches me on techanical issues with the truck.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd rather contribute $400 towards my future S/C than to pay a mechanic for a DIY job.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Glad it turned out real easy for you.

The hardest part about doing brake jobs is finding the special brake grease to use for the floating pins. And when you do find it, it's fricken expensive for the amount you get.

Did you get the rotors turned before slapping on your brake pads?

I'm still waiting for Hawk to make some HP+ pads. Either that, or I'm going w/ the Stoptechs. I just have to make sure those calipers will clear the stock wheels.

Hmmm lets see.........$80-100 for pads or ~$2600 for an entire front brake kit? :lol:

·
Registered
292 Posts
mhgsx said:
Glad it turned out real easy for you.

The hardest part about doing brake jobs is finding the special brake grease to use for the floating pins. And when you do find it, it's fricken expensive for the amount you get.

Did you get the rotors turned before slapping on your brake pads?

I'm still waiting for Hawk to make some HP+ pads. Either that, or I'm going w/ the Stoptechs. I just have to make sure those calipers will clear the stock wheels.

Hmmm lets see.........$80-100 for pads or ~$2600 for an entire front brake kit? :lol:
Turning rotors = bad! Unless your rotor is groved or warped, do not turn it. All you accomplish by turning a rotor is effectively removing valuable heat absorbing metal material. The less material you have on a rotor, the easier it will warp. Actually, if you are turning a rotor because it is warped, I'd recommend just replacing that rotor. Once it is turned and now it has less material, it will just warp again only faster this time.

On a side note, most parts stores sell a cheap disc brake piston retracting tool. It's two simple flat plates with a screwing mechanism. Works wonders and much easier to use than a screwdriver. Also, no worries about tearing any seals as well.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Some auto parts stores have a free tool loan program as well. Just leave a deposit and borrow the tool (they typically have all kinds of specialized tools), then return it and get your deposit back.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Golden Boy said:
Turning rotors = bad! Unless your rotor is groved or warped, do not turn it. All you accomplish by turning a rotor is effectively removing valuable heat absorbing metal material. The less material you have on a rotor, the easier it will warp. Actually, if you are turning a rotor because it is warped, I'd recommend just replacing that rotor. Once it is turned and now it has less material, it will just warp again only faster this time.

On a side note, most parts stores sell a cheap disc brake piston retracting tool. It's two simple flat plates with a screwing mechanism. Works wonders and much easier to use than a screwdriver. Also, no worries about tearing any seals as well.
Have you seen how much material is actually removed when a rotor is turned? Hint: it isn't much. I've done them myself and there really isn't much material being cut, but then again, my rotors were in excellent shape.

The value of turning the rotors is so your brake pads can bed in properly and transfer the pad material over to the rotor surface evenly.

Most rotors don't 'warp'. They feel warped due to uneven pad transfer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
mhgsx said:
Have you seen how much material is actually removed when a rotor is turned? Hint: it isn't much. I've done them myself and there really isn't much material being cut, but then again, my rotors were in excellent shape.

The value of turning the rotors is so your brake pads can bed in properly and transfer the pad material over to the rotor surface evenly.

Most rotors don't 'warp'. They feel warped due to uneven pad transfer.
I just have to disagree. Have you ever swept up after you turned rotors? There's a bit more there than you think. You have to remember there's not much there to begin with.

Pads bed in by themselves. I change from race pads to street pads over and over again without having to "turn" my rotors and I do not see any hint of brake loss. A few threshold braking stops will clean off any rotor surface.

Having worked in the auto service industry, I can tell you I've seen a few warped rotors and trust me it had nothing to do with uneven pad transfer.

We will just have to agree to disagress :wink:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have to agree with Golden Boy on this. The main reason the dealers turn your rotors for you is so they can replace them on the third brake install. What a rip off.

I usually replace my own brakes and I never have turned a rotor, or drum for that matter on any of my vehicles. No problems to date.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turning the rotors would be an indication of them warping. Our rotors are under warranty. On one of my visits to infiniti, they noticed my rotors were warped and they replaced the whole thing for free. At first when they told me that they were warped I thought I had to come out of the pocket to have them fixed. I was wrong. Anyway It is better to do the brakes yourself and if the dealership noticed that your rotors need turning let them fix it, Its Free. :)

Oh the brakes are working excellantly. :D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
If one had to pay for it, what is the typical dealer cost of having all four rotors turned? You can get a full set of new OEM rotors from EverythingInfiniti.com for just over $300. Just wondering if it came to it (down the line, where warranty doesn't come into play) and your rotors needed turned if it would be worth paying to do it to get a little more life out of them or just get a new set?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer quoted me $400 just to do the pads for the front. I can't imagine how much it would cost to have all four done along with turning the rotors. Probably $1000. That includes the mechanics service pay for $85/hr. It will be better to just DIY and purchase the parts all from (everything site). :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
:shock: Man, as soon as my free servicings are up, I'm deffinitely doing all my own maintenance. $400 to change front pads is insane! Front pads are only $44.06 per side.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
ndogg ct said:
what is everyone getting for mileage before change? thanx!
Mine is 33K now and it's time for a brake job. After reading all comments I think I'll take my chance and not gonna have them turned since my rotors still smooth and shinny.
I've been searching around mostly at TireRack.com and just coudn't decide which one...anyways, Called Hi-Lo and they have a set called Wagner for $49.99 with free replacement, no question ask. Are you kidding me? I'll give it a try.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts