Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. Make a long story short. My wife is moving back from DC in the next few months and she is bringing her civic back with her.

I currently have a 350z and a 4runner. I'm thinking of consolidating and trading them both in on a FX35. I really love the looks of the FX and I think it would be a great combination suv. Has anyone gone from either a 350z or a 4runner that can give me any advice (pro and cons)?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Welcome to the group 8)

Can't answer your question directly, however I went from a TL-S into my FX35 and it delivers the utility AND the higher seating that I wanted. I do not regret the move at all. As for comparing it to a 4runner; clearly the FX delivers a lot less cargo room. The 4runner would have more off-road sport to it, whereas the FX will have more on-road sport. If you don't off-road and the FX has enough cargo room then I suggest you go for it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Actually, thats what I did. My daily driver was an Acura CL-S and my toy was a 350Z. My wife drove a Maxima. We traded my CL and Z off for an 04 MDX, and an 04 FX45. My wife drives the MDX and couldn't be happier.
As for the driving nature of the FX, in a nutshell, it's a big heavy Z. As for the interior of the FX, for me, it's what I always wanted.
The cars I looked at before deciding on the FX are: A6, old A8, BMW 5 series, chrysler's new hemi powered sedan and wagon, Acura RL, another MDX, Infiniti's M45, Murano and Armada. What I was looking for was the driving characteristics of the Z and comfort of the CL. I think the FX fits that bill well above and beyond any other offering.
I personally couldn't be happier with the FX, and for me that says alot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently went from a BMW 328i to the FX35. I needed some of the functionality and all-weather capabilities of an SUV, but also wanted to have solid performance and distinctive looks, and the FX35 has been a good compromise for me.

I used to really enjoy the performance/handling of the Beemer, and although the FX35 can't match that performance, it does way better than any other SUV and is really quite enjoyable to drive. The only area where I have seen a marked difference is in braking - I'm not sure how the braking distances compare, but the FX35 clearly has a lot of heft which is apparent when you're trying to slow the beast down.

On functionality, it doesn't have as much room as most SUVs, but has quite enough for my needs. I've used it to haul a freezer, and even some good-sized wood planks (by pushing the drivers seat as far forward as possible), and it has served me well. I simply don't need it to do everything that a full-size SUV could do.

On all-weather performance, the FX35 with stock tires did really well in the rain. I opted to get snow-tires for the winter and it's been very solid so far (it has already seen a good amount of snow, although nothing crazy). It's definitely waaaay better than the Beemer.

On looks, I had and still have a particular soft spot for that Beemer (and yes, I value the BMW brand cache highly), but I also really like the looks of the FX. It evokes extreme reactions - some love it, some hate it. Luckily I'm in the former group.

With heated seats and the tech package, I also love all the "extras" in my FX. And despite all the talk of rattles on this forum, I think the Beemer was actually more prone to rattles (I am not used to and don't expect the absolute perfection that other people seem to expect).

All in all, I wouldn't get the FX if my needs were squarely sports sedan or if they were squarely SUV. The reason it works for me is because I wanted a bit of both. The FX is really the perfect crossover as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Judge said:
We traded my CL and Z off for an 04 MDX, and an 04 FX45. My wife drives the MDX and couldn't be happier.
Best of both worlds - an MDX and an FX 8)
The MDX is the best-bang-for-the-buck 7-seat SUV available. For an excellent MDX forum, check out http://www.acuramdx.org :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the quick responses. I like the 4runner a lot but truth of the matter is it isn't very fun to drive. And the Z is fun to drive but not practical. Seems like the fx is a good fit!

My wife isn't too crazy about the looks...doesn't really hate it...but doesn't really love it. I'm thinking of renting one over Xmas break and seeing how it works for us. I sat inside one at the autoshow and loved the inside. Very sporty and classy! She said she will keep an open mind. I just need to slow down my rotation of new cars :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts