Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
A friend of mine who has a G35C just encountered some problems while driving to Jersey from Boston. He was on the highway when his engine just overheated. He never had the problem before until then.

Now when he starts his car the engine will overheat when he's driving it. At idle everything is fine.

He's checked all his hoses and his coolant levels as well as his oil levels and they're all okay.

He has a Borla TD exhaust, JWT Popcharger/Ztube, and pulleys on his car.

Any ideas as to what's wrong w/ his car? He's already tightened the pulley belts and that hasn't helped.

Need a reply asap. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
882 Posts
did he check to see if his fan fuse blew out?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His fan is still working. Plus the fan only helps cooling when idle. His car seems to only overheat when moving.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
thermostat?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
finsfx said:
thermostat?
That was where I was going. Thermostat could be stuck open.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Ak1nza said:
Ok i'll ask him to check the thermostat. How do you check it?
that would be the dealer's job, if it were me! i'm not mechanically inclined :lol:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
hey andrew,

i dont mean to hijack this thread, but is that avatar a custom painting by you? if so lets see the full size image :) looks cool 8)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol. I wish I could paint that well.

It's actually a concept painting. I think you can find the original on the Infiniti-techinfo website if I'm not wrong...

I just took it and shrunk it down for my avatar.

:oops:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thermostat would be stuck closed to be overheating. If it was stuck open, the engine would never warm up. You need to remove the thermostat housing (where top radiator hose attatches to the engine) and replace the thermostat and gasket.

If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
471 Posts
JohnFX said:
Thermostat would be stuck closed to be overheating. If it was stuck open, the engine would never warm up. You need to remove the thermostat housing (where top radiator hose attatches to the engine) and replace the thermostat and gasket.

If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer.
Just have him replace it himself. The dealer will say his mods caused the problem and he's only going to get himself in more trouble/headaches. ( Don't bother with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act reply. YOU still have to get a lawyer, YOU still have to waste YOUR time in trying to have the dealership look at the car.) The job is easy enough for him to do.

The other remote possibility is that the pullies are under-driving the water pump too much. Tell him to make sure he's got the right pully on. (the post mentioned pullies, so I'm assuming he's got 3: alternator, water pump, and crank.)

For his sake, I hope he wasn't driving the car too long with the needle pegged at the red zone. OEM water temp gauges are notoriously slow in there reading and innaccurate as well. He could very well be driving with the temps too high for much longer than he suspects.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. He only has the crank pulley installed and hasn't had problems for a couple thousand miles till the problem occured.

He's gonna bring it in to a dealer soon. I'm also thinking it's the thermostat. He says he has some coolant leakin on the left side, which is where the water pump is located if I'm not wrong. Gonna have to have the dealer check it out.

Anyways, he's driving in his MDX now cos his G conked out on him and he isn't cool enough to have an FX. haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts