Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, happy happy joy, folks :evil: . Just found a frigging - about 1/2" - crease on the vertical section of the aluminum console to the south-east of the clock. Not very deep nor really shallow. BTW, I don't have the faintest clue as to where it came from.
So what do I do know :( ? To be honest, I'm not wild - from day one - about Infiniti's choice of material that went into the console. Even something as innocent as collecting couple of dimes that fell on it, can scratch the surface.
Is there any aftermarket stuff with the same silver theme that I can use in its place ? Or is that fixable, or what ?
Thanx :oops: .

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
you can replace it. http://www.everythinginfiniti.com

not sure about fixing it... i luv the material, but it does scratch easily. maybe some clear 3m type stuff? i wouldn't do it, but...

i believe sherwood has a matching kit, but it doesnt have any protection either. i have the sample and it does match exactly, but it either has no clear stuff on it or it has a really really thick clear coat on it that is really easy to see. Also, it's obviously not real metal, so won't match perfectly.

burtman also has a silver one that looks pretty good and is more metalic, with a small clear coat, but doesn't match as good as the sherwood.

give them a shout...

actually, i would jus replace it myself...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I went to my dealer today. The part ( main central panel ) that needs replacing happens to be the largest one - suprise, suprise - and would cost $150. Figure another $90 for labor, tax, this, that and we're talking $250-plus. He said fixing it is theoretically possible, but achieving as-new look probably not.
I asked what were the chances of slipping it as a warranty-type claim, and he replied - none. He said Infiniti would immediately know it was a man-made problem and ask him WTF ? BTW, since when are they submitting bad parts to the corporate :? ? He said it was best to hold off until my console was really banged up and only then go for a swap. Oh, and the damage was probably done with something like a house key. Yeah, and if I only @#?! knew who did it .
Unfortunately, I really can't use any of the aftermarket kits whose pix float about this forum. My dash is black, seats willow and headliner beige. So applying walnut, or burl, or rosewood themes here would look like putting a brazilian bikini on an amish girl. The all-aluminum kit posted by Piniti isn't bad-looking overall. Yet in the context of our interior styling I think it's an overkill. It may look great in a Range Rover cabin with its bullshit avant-garde design, or a sports coupe. But in the Pumpkin, I just don't feel it.
So that's about it. Get a small 1/2 inch crease on your console, and boom - there go your $250. I guess praise be to Allah that I didn't buy a Cayenne then, huh :roll: ?

P.S. BTW, folks, thanks for not masking your disinterest :( .

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
hey a few things

first of all, you can easily install the center piece yourself. pop the shifter off, pop the headunit plastic cover off, take off the clock piece, adn the then the big center one pops off that would take you like 5 minutes check out shady's pac install - the pieces literally just pull off.

2ndly it's not 150 at everythinginfiniti.com I don't believe.

But yeah i would wait until it totally pisses you off before you replace it, but if you are pissed off now, then just order the part and do it yourself ;)

btw any pics?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I'm not sure I understand, a "crease" usually comes as the result of a fold or bend - were you or someone you know trying to remove the panel? Or is it a scratch?

Let's see a pic, maybe someone can come up with a creative idea for you...

Contaygious is right, it is easily removed and replaced, I've done it many times.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I paid $216.00 including labor for my replacement console.
That was through the body shop I normally do business with. I claimed it on my insurance and paid my $50.00 deductible.

The console itself was $146.00 + $10.00 shipping.

These consoles will scratch if you look at them the wrong way -

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wireboltman said:
These consoles will scratch if you look at them the wrong way -
The new perf. stamped console is a lot more forgiving. If I were you I would replace with this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aren't you supposed to replace the whole shebang then if you go the stamped route ? Or is it just the central section featuring that pattern ? 'Cause if it is then you'll end up with the old bland aluminum inserts on the door handles/steering wheel yet new stamped console. Which in the end spells unfinished look. BTW, I'm not sure if the two are even of the same shade.
I've got about 1/2 a dozen digital cameras around the house, but don't know where even one freaking charger for them is :x . And I won't till tomorrow night. Anyhow, I'll take a photo as soon as I can. Hopefully, Shady'd be able to post it for me :oops: .
Last thing I wanna mention is this warranty coverage business. Should you have any issues with your seats - short of cig burns and/or tears - the dealer would fix/replace'em @ no cost to you. Mind you, this is something you use all the time as you plant your arse in'em. Yet, with stuff like scratch-happy aluminum/plastics, or springs collapsing under this or that button - dealers would frequently launch a dog & pony show. It's a wear & tear item, buttons fail due to abuse etc... Now, is this a load of inconsistent crap, or what :roll: ?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good point about the rest of the trim. Funny thing is, although my 05 has the new stamped alluminum trim (which I absolutly love) the trim on the steering wheel is still the old style. :? Not a big deal, but definately a detail issue.

Same issue for the exterior. Once again Infiniti upgraded the grill and lights to a smoked color but left the door handles and rear trim, bright chrome. I like the roof rails brushed look, but this creates a third color. BTW the rails did match the factory wheels until I upgraded them to bright chrome.

I'm not complaining but the new FX is still full of little visual inconsistancies you would think the designers would correct. All this said, I still love this car. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Pudicus...check your pm

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree our materials are terrible. I already have a bunch of minor scratches on my console and am paranoid about scratching it up more. I have creases in my leather seats that look like crap.

And when I release my seatbelt it often hits the inside pillar hard enough that there are a ton of scuffs in the plastic.

It's a pretty cheap interior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.