Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after some time behind the wheel with the new tires on I can really compare with the RS-A.
Traction is good but not more.
The ride is about the same in line but not in the curves went pushed to the limit, the lateral grip is inferior, even deceptive, it does things on the dry that the RS-A where doing on the wet, overall I am very unhappy because I was expecting at least as good as the RS-A, I also paid premium price for them hence my expectations.

I now wish I went with the Toyo's or even the same RS-A as before.

Just sharing my findings that could be helpfull for others in need of new tires soon.

Rob :x

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
wow! Shocked to hear this.... I thought the BFGs were supposed to be an all out summer tire. I personally think the Goodyears SUCK.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised as well. They are rated higher in every area on Tirerack (not that they're the ultimate authority) than about everything else. I've driven the Toyos and was not impressed; more road noise and more wheelspin on launch than the GYs. Personally, I like the RSA's. I was planning to try the KDW's next due to the ratings, but now I dunno.

·
Registered
882 Posts
is there a good all season tire? For rain and snow...

I'm assuming you guys are referring to the stock tires as RS-A? I've had my car for a while and never really looked to see what type of tires i'm running...just figured OEM tires are always crap :p

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, the stock tires are GoodYear Eagle RS-A (on the 20 in wheels at least, not sure onthe 18s?).

·
Registered
706 Posts
18's are Bridgestone Potenza's.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
desualt said:
Traction is good but not more.
Did you get the KDWs, or the KDW2s?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
As per the pic in his avatar, he has the KDW-2s.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
****, ****, ****!

... so now what should we do? I was going to place an order soon (I have a line on a place to get BFG cheaper than retail).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KDW-2

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Perhaps its because you have the 295s on 8" rims? I think even stock 265s are pushing it on 8" wide wheels

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kcrudup said:
MustGoFastR said:
****, ****, ****!

... so now what should we do? I was going to place an order soon (I have a line on a place to get BFG cheaper than retail).

like Tirerack I am not the ultimate authority in that matter, but I can surely make the difference between grip and non grip, before when taking curves aggressively the stability control was almost never taking care of my "jump" of humors, but now it is kind of busy...

If you drive a bit like me then you will probably experience similar situations

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ujmot said:
Perhaps its because you have the 295s on 8" rims? I think even stock 265s are pushing it on 8" wide wheels
I don't think so, as previously discussed the 295 KDW-2 are actually smaller than the 265 RS-A

Rob

·
Registered
848 Posts
mushutofu said:
is there a good all season tire? For rain and snow...

I'm assuming you guys are referring to the stock tires as RS-A? I've had my car for a while and never really looked to see what type of tires i'm running...just figured OEM tires are always crap :p
The Goodyears are all season. I had no trouble with them during their first winter. I'm a bit more concerned about the second though since I''m running low on tread.

I find it interesting that so many folks talk about the GYs as being crap, but nobody's been able to brag about anything better yet. I have the same tires on two Grand Prix's, and the only thing I dislike is that they need to be replaced around 25-30k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had the BFGs now for about 5k and couldnt disagree more. These tires are amazing. Traction is equal, it is possible to get them to sqeak (bfg rep told me it was a result of the tread compound being so soft) but the handeling is improved 100% cornering is now solid as rails and ride comfort is amazing. Compared to the RSA, seems like im riding in a caddy, well not really but the ride really improved quite a bit. And i disagree about the 265 size, i saw the goodyears and BFGs side by side when I was installing, there is no noticable difference in the 265s. Manufacturers would not vary size by as much as discussed, wouldnt make sence in terms of sales...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I must say the kdw are unreal....incredible tire...car is like on rails..
u can push around turns and no squeal...my friend is a nys trooper
and i let him drive my fx...he loved it....as we we're getting on the parkway i told him to push it...he couldn't believe how this car handled...
Phil K

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Makes me feel a little better. Few questions:

1. Desualt, how many miles do you have on yours, and what's the weather like where you are? Soft compound high perormance summer tires can harden up in cold weather, resulting in decreased performance.

2. Phil, how many miles on yours?

3. to both Andy and Phil, same question regarding weather.

4. Andy and Phil, what size KDWs do you have? If you have the stock size, would you mind measuring the tread width on your tires and report back? Not that I don't trust Desualt's measurements, but I, too, have a hard time accepting that there would be so much variation between makes. Of course the 265 or 295 or whatever it is, is the width of the tire at it's widest point and not the tread width, but the tread width should increase comparably with the rest. :?

The rest of the info. regarding this is posted here:
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 2&start=50

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MustGoFastR said:
Makes me feel a little better. Few questions:

1. Desualt, how many miles do you have on yours, and what's the weather like where you are? Soft compound high perormance summer tires can harden up in cold weather, resulting in decreased performance.
currently in the 40's, tried it in the 50's and 60's, no difference.

The car have 38000km, maybe 3000km on the KDW's.

You know it does not surprise me one bit that others have different views on this subject, I will just keep for me what I think about this because it will not be a popular opinion.

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont take my posts personally Desalt, I am merely posting my experiences like you with the tires. Its too bad you spent money on these and didnt notice an improvement. I talked to a friend of mine in the business and the only thing we came up with is perhaps your tires are ballooning slightly, negating all of the performance aspects of the tires. The rim is quite small for a 295 All the shops I talked to would not even attempt to install a 295 on an 8" rim. I measured my tires and I got a treadwidth of a little short of 9.5" Judging from your measurments thats the only logical reason your tires are performing so poorly...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts