Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was totally bamboozled on this one! :?
Well I finally got my FX yesterday...the first thing I notice as I climb in is "hey, why the f%$# does the Nav still show Tacoma?"
After playing with it for a while, it seems the DVD Nav does not work in Alaska...go figure.
When I asked the dealer to verify that it did work here, before I purchased it w/ tech, the answer I got was "I don't see any reason why it wouldn't." I also went down to the local Nissan dealer. They are selling Murano's with the DVD Nav that seem to have AK maps.
WTF...is it too much for me to expect that a $50k dollar vehicle would have a Nav that works, especially when the same Nav works in the $30k Murano...?

Arghhhh...
End of venting...thanks for providing a means for me to gripe about this.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Man...i feel you. Dealers are a breed of their own. NEVER take their word for it. Make sure to get stuff in writing. YOur starting to get me mad :evil: I feel you man.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I just tried to check on Zenrin's site, but I think they've taken down the map info due to the lack of DVD availability until 6.3 comes out next month. Hopefully they'll have something for you :?

Just curious...try zooming way out on the map, and then panning up toward AK...where does your coverage end? I'm running 6.1, and just tried this...nothing much north of Vancouver...only a couple river names near Juno (and not even the city shows up). :(

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The Murano uses the same nav system, so if it works on them, they likely just have a newer version of the disc and you simply need an update. You should make your dealer cover this, IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After posting this and talking to the dealer I bought the FX from I got so pissed I went back to our local Nissan shop.
It seems that the NAV in the Murano only works when we are close to the summer soltice. The NAV software displays the area on the map w/ no roads and only points the arrow in the direction the vehicle is moving. Knowing a thing or two about satellite communications, and having calmed way down, this makes sense to me. As we are closer to a geo-sync orbit as we near the summer soltice and the gps can pick up sync occasionaly.

So that led me to ask the Nissan guy, "why the **** are you selling the NAV system with any of your vehicles?"

His response was that their regional rep has advised them that zenrin has informed Nissan that they have a new satellite to cover AK an northern Canada and that the new software may have details for these areas. Since this is coming from yet another dealer...I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There aren't any new satalites being launched. All the GPS sats have been put up by the US Government, and not zenrin.
The sats are also used for defence, so you bet that AK is covered, especially with that pipeline and I am sure there are several missle silos in the area.

The problem is that zenrin's maps don't have any coverage in your area. I really wish they would switch to another company to make the nav system software, or at least make zenrin purchase the NavTech maps which are just about complete for the US.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Load of bull!

I agree with FastDaddyCar - this other dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. There are 24 sats used for GPS coverage worldwide, with an additional 5 sats as spares for now. If more are launched, it will be to replace aging or dying birds and upgrade their capabilities, but no more are needed in the constellation for worldwide coverage. People use GPS in AK every day for surveying, trail guidance and many other activities - Zenrin either should have maps for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lefty said:
It seems that the NAV in the Murano only works when we are close to the summer soltice. The NAV software displays the area on the map w/ no roads and only points the arrow in the direction the vehicle is moving. Knowing a thing or two about satellite communications, and having calmed way down, this makes sense to me. As we are closer to a geo-sync orbit as we near the summer soltice and the gps can pick up sync occasionaly.

How exactly are you "closer" to a geo-synchronous orbit during summer?

Geo-synch statellites orbit the earth at the same rate of its rotation. So the satellite appears stationary over a fixed point. You are no closer nor farther from the satellite throughout the year.

It's the same priciple why all satellite TV's must point towards the south.

I think it could be the proximity to the magnetic pole that's interfering w/ the sat. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
So , does this mean that your FX is Airborne? - we're still on pavement, silly us!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How exactly are you "closer" to a geo-synchronous orbit during summer?

Geo-synch statellites orbit the earth at the same rate of its rotation. So the satellite appears stationary over a fixed point. You are no closer nor farther from the satellite throughout the year.

It's the same priciple why all satellite TV's must point towards the south.

I think it could be the proximity to the magnetic pole that's interfering w/ the sat. :dontknow:
You're right, I mis-spoke. There are 12 "GPS" sats that cover AK, 4 of which can provide full time service without losing sight of the entire state.

I spoke to Zenrins' Navigation Customer support this morning. What a useless bunch there. I loved the "nobody on shift can answer your questions Sir" response. Apparently 6.3 will not include AK :? (not that I thought it would at this point), nobody there could tell me if there is any plan to ever expand to AK. It would be nice if they did like most other nav companies and purchased somebody else's work and modified it to fit their needs.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow, I'd be so pissed that I'd demand that Infiniti repay me for the cost of the useless nav system. They sold you a non-functional piece of equipment...at least for your area. Even my handheld GPS worked fine, with map coverage on it's display when I did an Alaskan cruise last year. :?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The GM of the dealer I bought it from offered to either take the vehicle back or "make it right" for me.
His make it right offer was telling me that he is tracking through Zenrin to try and find a solution or at least an answer as to when Zenrin will make the gps/NAV system available in AK. He also said that if Zenrin has a plan to offer AK anytime soon that they are paying for the dvd upgrade. (No kidding)

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Until zenrin releases a new update that has AK covered, you have a useless Nav unit (that you paid a lot of money for)!

Therefore, I'd tell the GM he needs to do much better than simply buy you a new disc IF or WHEN it ever comes out. :roll:

At the very least, make him give you the cash for the upgrade now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should have a period of time during which you can return the car and cancel the transaction. I think this is true in most states?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
dinofx35 said:
You should have a period of time during which you can return the car and cancel the transaction. I think this is true in most states?
I dunno; they make it clear in CA that once you sign, it's yours.

·
Registered
848 Posts
kcrudup said:
dinofx35 said:
I dunno; they make it clear in CA that once you sign, it's yours.
Yes, but federal law overrides in some cases. Legally, you're allowed a "reasonable" amount of time to inspect purchased goods under the Uniform Commercial Code. This has been used in cases where cars have broken down just after leaving the lot. Note that what is reasonable may end up in the hands of a judge or jury. I also threatened Pontiac with it back in '98 when on day 3 of ownership of my new Grand Prix, the engine ended up with coolent in two cylindars. They wanted to repair it, I demanded a new vehicle, and eventually got my way after three more days of haggling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And the saga continues...

Zenrin e-mailed me back today with the following response.

Dear Customer,

Hopefully Alaska will be covered in the next update next year. We are not complete sure as the ok has to be given by Nissan North America.

Thank you,

Zenrin USA

Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people about this? Perhaps I/ my dealer should be yanking Nissan's chain.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
We are not complete(sic) sure as the ok has to be given by Nissan North America.
Zenrin USA
Hrmph. You gotta put this thru your bullshit filter:

We won't put in AK coverage 'till Nissan pays us to re-invent the wheel and walk all over the roads of Alaska with our GPSes, instead of using one of the many nationally-complete maps already in existence.
Zenrin USA
If NNA doesn't sell many cars with NAV in the A-K, I hope you can get a refund on the Nav part of your FXes purchase, 'cause Alaskan Zenrin coverage ain't happening otherwise!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts