Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I got into my car to go to a ATM when. When I drove about 30 feet the tire sensor alarm went off.... But by the time I checked the tire pressure screen and knew that I had no pressure, I was already on the road.... I had to drive about another 100yards to drive home... I called the Infiniti roadside assistance thinking that just MAY be they would fix my flat tire, but when the guy came about 30 min later I was dissapointed that the towing service guy doesn't even carry his own jack and bar.

Since 8:30 this morning, I been calling every tire service store that is open today and found out nobody fixes 20inch tires except Tire Kingdom BUT they also said that I would have to bring it in to see if they can fit on their machine then they would have to check if they can fix a tire with a sensor inside....if they can fix it, the price would be about $33...

Should I wait and just take it to nearest Nissan dealer tommorow since there is no Infiniti dealer where I'm at? or should i take it to other tire service shop tommorow? and about how much should I pay for fixing flat on our tire...

One store told me that the tires with sensors inside can not be fixed...he said that I have to buy a new tire.... this is not true right?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would recommend going to tire rack http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp they list tire shops that they recommend give some info on them most list restrictions such as 20" rims... Most in my area charge $20 to swap out the tire; I could not imagine that fixing would be more...

Definitely don't use foam tire puncture fixer that will mess up the tire sensor.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
More than likely, you just have a nail or a screw in the tire. Any local service shop can plug the tire for about $10 or so. They won't even have to be dismount the tire to repair it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I've had a nagging, persistent slow leak for the last 2 months now 'cause of a screw I ran over. It worked itself out last week and I was losing 15-20lbs every evening which I had go and refill with air every day. I'm so close to buying new tires (at 25K, the original RS/As are done) that it isn't worth it to get just one new tire, and they're worn enough the one place I took it to wouldn't patch it.

Vivid said:
Definitely don't use foam tire puncture fixer that will mess up the tire sensor.
Actually, that's not an absolute. I had to use "Fix-A-Flat" (the yellow can) when that screw worked itself out and I had to get 50mi back home and there wasn't an air station nearby and my sensor works just fine- but the stuff didn't work for sh!t and has been bubbling out when warm and I was still losing pressure.

What I ended up doing is buying one of those tire-patch kits (the kind with the rasp, needle, and gummy "strings"). I applied it, took all of 10 mins, and I haven't lost any pressure since. I'd try that first if you're near tire-buying time. I wish I'd thought of it before I put the "Fix-A-Flat" in there (I didn't even think of the sensors gumming <grumble> 'till it was in there). All seems OK, and the tire place guys say they'll be able to rinse the sensor head and get the residual gunk out when I get my tires changed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
More than likely, the sensor itself is liquid proof, so it probably won't be damaged by Fix-a-Flat. The biggest problem with that stuff is that it causes balance problems. Tires are generally balanced to within 1/4 oz., so adding 4-8 ozs. of Fix-a-Flat WILL create intermittance/inconsistant balance problems, depending on how the chemical "lays" in the tire. I would mount my spare before using it, and if I absolutely had to use it, I would have the tire dismounted and cleaned out as soon as possible.

Phil

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
PhilP69 said:
The biggest problem with that stuff is that it causes balance problems.
Yeah, I've used F-a-F before, and they tell you go immediately go out and drive after applying it so that it doesn't settle in one place. My tires (and you could definately feel it in the dubs) aren't driving unbalanced at all.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vivid said:
I would recommend going to tire rack http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp they list tire shops that they recommend give some info on them most list restrictions such as 20" rims... Most in my area charge $20 to swap out the tire; I could not imagine that fixing would be more...

hope this helps.
I checked the site and called the number one site... they said they dont fix flat...
in this whole gator town I was only able to find one tire shop who would change it.... they charged me $42.

When I called Infiniti dealer where I bought my FX from... they said they will only plug it for $20 and Nissan here said they would not even touch it....

I was almost regretting that I got 20"

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
kcrudup said:
I had to use "Fix-A-Flat" (the yellow can) when that screw worked itself out and I had to get 50mi back home and there wasn't an air station nearby and my sensor works just fine- but the stuff didn't work for sh!t and has been bubbling out when warm and I was still losing pressure.
Did the F-a-F get you home? I'm replacing my spare with a can.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ujmot said:
Did the F-a-F get you home?
Yeah. It filled me from 15lbs to 25, then I was able to get to a gas station after that to get up to full pressure. It worked just fine while the car was in motion, but sitting overnight it leaked more and more every night, 'till I plugged it.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info Kenny :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have a nail in my 20in run flats...can the run flats be plugged? i asked the infiniti dealer over the phone and he told me i had to replace the tire. i don't have the money for that everytime i get a nail in my tire :evil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes some could.
and i wouldn't recommend runflats beacause there really expensive and what it's only helping 30 more miles or so if u have a nail lol.
come on now!
and fix a flat with eat the wheel up where you wheell have to replace!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
LOL... I don't know if you guys noticed but the last guy who posted did it on July of 2007... I think he's fixed his tires by now... :p

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
haha i noticed that too, or he just tore his tire up driving around by now. i hope he realized you have to replace run-flats once they are used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re:

MorpheusMann said:
i have a nail in my 20in run flats...can the run flats be plugged? i asked the infiniti dealer over the phone and he told me i had to replace the tire. i don't have the money for that everytime i get a nail in my tire :evil:
Well I have had 2 flat tires on my Goodyear run flats on the Jeep. Both times I drove to the dealer and he repaired them in 30 minutes or so and did not even charge me, how difficult can that be. The tire manual says one can drive for 50 miles at 50MPH.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have one tire plugged in the rear, and both fronts have a nail in them. One is near the sidewall and can't be patched. 37k miles on the original Goodyears. Hopefully, I'll be replacing them in the next week with some new Nittos -- I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I fixed a tire that had a slow leak in it a few years ago with "Slime," and never had another problem with it. You have to jack up the car and remove the tire stem. Then put about 8 ounces of the "Slime" in it (it's a green liquid), replace the valve stem, put air back into the tire, then drive it for a while to distribute the liquid. But I agree, fixing it with the "rope" kit is the better alternative. I did that once too and it worked fine as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts