Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general chat yesterday and didn't get any response so I think maybe I should have posted here instead. I am new on this board and I've been searching for threads on changing transmissions on an fx35 but I can't seem to find anything. Could anyone point me in the right direction? My wifes 2007 fx35 has a bad trans (176,000 miles) sometimes when your on the freeway for a couple of seconds it loses drive then regains it. It happens rarely but also if you accelerate hard from standing still it doesn't accelerate smoothly it seems like it disengages drive then engages again causing the car to lurch. Took it to the dealer and they said the trans is bad internally but couldn't tell me specifically what is wrong. $6k for a new trans is not happening! I plan to buy a used trans to install but I'd like to know how tricky it is to change.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
This might sound redundant, but have you checked / changed the fluids recently? If the dealership can't say what's wrong with it, that's not the best diagnosis to go with... You may want to find an independent mechanic that knows what he's talking about...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I am taking the car for another mechanic tomorrow for a second opinion:) Also about 8months ago I had the trans flushed and new oil (actually they flushed it twice because it was such a mess). Funny thing was the next day the car suffered from lack of drive when you first put it in drive. We took it back and they did something and it seemed ok after that but with my daughter driving it you never can tell when it started playing up again. I have searched online to find some info about how to remove the trans and I can't find a thing!
It looks to me like you can do it with out removing the engine but I would like to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
It was probably dirty and they most likely did several fill and flush re-using and filtering the newer transmission fluid... That usually helps... And if the dealership doesn't know what's wrong, doing another job like that will probably get her going again for a while. Eventually you WILL need to do a rebuild on your transmission though. Just don't do it at the dealership since they won't even do it themselves. They'll farm it out to a crappy guy down the street and then charge you 25% on top of it cause they're the dealership...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts