Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FX45 with the 20's

Good on dry. Pretty good on wet. Brutal in the snow! Anyone know of an all season for the 20's that will be decent in the snow? I do not want to have to buy rims and tires and have to change tires twice every season -- been there, done that and don't want to have to do it again.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
can you elaborate about snow driving being "brutal"

I'm a northern Cali person...only time I see snow is when I go baording in the mountains. I'm going to Tahoe this Christmas and it will be my first time driving the car in the snow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, please elaborate. Another Northern CA SF Bay Area person here going to Tahoe in 2 wks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Can't wait to hear the explaination on this one. I've driven mine in snow up to 6" and had no trouble with the GY's. I've got 22k miles on mine, and just had it in 4" over Thanksgiving week...again no problem, but not as good as when they had more tread.

·
Registered
882 Posts
cool...thanks

makes me feel a little better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have in mind our winter I ordered set of 18" rims and designed for winter Bridgestones.
My practise show that no such thing like a all season tire. Especially in case of braking.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've heard the same thing Zethar from different people. Go to tirerack.com and do more research. There aren't that many tires with the size 265/50-20 (stock size) however if you go to 275/45-20 there are a few alternatives. One of these is Yokohama Goelandar H/T-S G052.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes

The only thing you need to worry about is the fact that you will be putting a little wider tires with slightly lower profile.
Kris

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
Can't wait to hear the explaination on this one. I've driven mine in snow up to 6" and had no trouble with the GY's. I've got 22k miles on mine, and just had it in 4" over Thanksgiving week...again no problem, but not as good as when they had more tread.
i agree. mine did really well in the snow last year.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I drove in the snow a couple of weeks ago and that was a lot of fiun.

I went to turn down the a road to work and some construction guys were blocking and wanted me to go the long way around.

I was pi$$ed and punched it a did a perfect 180 doughnut and boy you should have seen the look on their face.

:D

The FX handled beautifully.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice Kris. I will check those out.

I was told by my salesguy that I would not need to get winter tread but I was skeptical given the low profile of the all season tires. Wishful thinking for the last 7 months but now that we have gotten significant snow in the last few days here in Canada, I must say that I am not confident driving with the GY's. Slid right through an intersection tonight and I was going very slow. I have 25 years of driving in Canadian winters and I really want to believe that the stalk tires will be fine for the winter but the reality is that I feel unsafe driving here with these tires in any significant snow.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have to agree. The FX has no problem gaining speed but turns into a sled from then on. Compared to my old 98 Jeep Grand Cheorkee it drives like any other rear wheel drive car. I have no confidence going any direction other than straight. It's a problem that going slow won't fix however.

·
Registered
779 Posts
No problem Zethar. Just let me know if you decide to purchase them as I am curious as to how they perform myself... I just bought my fx 3 weeks ago therefore will not be chaning tires for this season, however depending on my experience I might do something for the next winter.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
so I take it that rwd would be stupid in the snow?

I was hoping for the rwd since i have the awd jeep, and i want the extra speed and such, but if i end up in the snow for 2 years before I come back to the bay, am I going to be screwed with rwd?

Sounds like awd may not even be enough for a place like PITT without better tires :shock: :?

hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just picked up a set of pirelli scorpion snows on 18 in wheels. Just in time too -- we just got dumped 12 inches of snow in the last 24 hrs and it is still coming down.

Was out and about driving in the snow today with a big grin. Drove past a city bus that was stuck as well as numerous cars and even a transport truck on a ramp. Last minute Christmas shopping finally done.

The vehicle is incredible with snows especially in snow mode. I highly recommend it if you want to feel safe driving in the snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the snow setting to be a significant difference in handling. With it on the FX 35 with 20 inch wheels handles quite well. Not like the Lexus RX 300. With it off, it is a bear.

·
Registered
779 Posts
So it snowed in Chicago yesterday night so I had a chance to try driving with some snow on the street. It was just as I expected, no problems launching, lots of problems stopping. I'll be looking for new tires for next winter...

·
Registered
204 Posts
FWIW, I got through the Indiana Snowstorm last Sunday (12/19) on the Stock all-season 20".

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/4 ... etail.html
They shutdown Highway 94 shortly after we drove through the 20 mile stretch of snow, to send to plows in to clear it. There were cars and trucks in the ditches everywhere. Most of the vehicles on the road where either 4x4, AWD or FWD. I only saw a few RWD attempt it - must of had snow tires on :)

I certainly wasn't able to keep up with 4x4 trucks driving down the shoulder, but I also wasn't worried about getting stuck or losing control. If I had snow tires, I probably would have been following those crazy 4x4s :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just came back doing some test drive on the white stuff here in NY. I just bought the FX35 AWD with sport 20s a month ago. After reading all the post of how the FX with stock tires do in bad weather, I want to test it out myself to see if I need to invest in some snow tires. Its the day after Christmas and the street is empty with 2 inches of freash snow.

First off, there are no problem launching the car, nice and steady, no tire spins with graduate throttle. Then stopping the car is another story, ABS kicks in hard when you apply the brake in normal pressure. even the car is going only around 15-20 or so to a stop. you have to give yourself a lot of room and really have to feather the brake pedal.

On turn in, first attempt is about 10 mph into a 90degree turn (no throttle), which result in a bad understeering:shock:. The front tires just didnt offer any grip at all. Also, if you apply gas in the corner the rear will step out, Its easy to correct with a little counter steer but my wife think otherwise. I went into an empty parking lot, and there, I did some more 90 degrees turn and a couple of donuts, bring back the memory of driving a RWD! Its fun :D .

My conclusion is that, the tires are NOT good in snow at all. Well, you'll notice that when the car can't stop well in a straight line doing less than 15 mph. You can get away with it if you take extreme caution and make extra room for stopping, slow way down and be ready to make steering corrections when cornering. I don't have any problem to get through NYs winter with these tires but I'm just concern for my wife's safty when she is behind the wheel, so I'm going to get a set of snow tires next year.

·
Registered
597 Posts
1. Vary throttle application and counter-steer as necessary
2. Kick it down into neutral prior to coming to a stop
3. Treat the brake pedal as though it were precious china

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I have gotten to drive in 2 snows storms this season and I will let you in a little secret I figured out.

DRIVE IN MANUMATIC (1 and 2 only)

They do not salt out here and knowing how to drive from living in the backwoods in IL.

I felt like a did not have complete and total control at certain times trying to stop. I just downshifted and barely touched the brakes, and no slippage and in complete control of the stop, I knew there had to be a way.. I have got into my horrible (45 degree uphill, steep) driveway, by locking the AWD and put it in to first and up it went.

I suggest giving it a try. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts