Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the STB posts, and there is some conflicting information. Looking to get this clarified before I jump in on the group buy.

1) "STB rubs against hood insulation." Is this true for everyone? Any issues with this?

2) Any handling negatives? I heard that now people think the back end swings around a bit since the front is now stiffer.

3) Any benefits on bumpy roads? Some report the ride is smoother on straight bumpy roads?

4) any negative wear characteristics on the tires?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
1) not mine,missed that in the reading...I think rare at best

2)AWD,better and more predictable(w/o a rear sway do not know)

3)My sense was a stiffer feel on bumpy roads,not objectionable

4)Tire wear should be better because suspensions works as it was designed to,w/o the towers flexing

An excellent,cheap mod that benefits the harder you drive

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
1. I never had any issues with rubbing on the hood insulation. If it did, it was JUST barely and did not adversely affect anything.

2. All handling characteristics are positive. The STB reduces understeer and makes handling more neutral. If you get super agressive, yes, this will allow the back end to swing out a bit easier; this is a characteristic of more neutral handling. It's a sports car thing; if you want your FX to handle more like a sports car, GET IT.

3. Not sure on the bumpy road thing; not really what it's designed for. The stiffening of the front end will reduce flex going over bumps. This will improve handling response, but could possibly make bumps a bit more jarring since the chassis is flexing and absorbing less. I noticed no adverse effect to ride quality at all; I have only good things to say about the STB; it really does make a world of difference in handling.

4. No

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In the 'For Sale' section.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I can say I have not had any rubbing issues. The steering response is definately improved. Seriously doubt any negative consequences from a STB, lots of cars come with them standard. The back end stepping out is more of an issue when playing with sway bar settings, which isn't an issue for us since we can't adjust ours and there are none aftermarket. Probably the best thing the STB does is dampen the cowel shake that makes the steering wheel shimmy when traveling over expansion joints and pot holes. There is a mile road by me that has degraded to the point of being cracked from side to side in a straight line no less frequent than every 20 feet. The STB made an incredible difference for the better when traveling down it for myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.