Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:DHey, everyone - more in the info/pics series documenting returning my recently-purchased CPO 2015 QX70 (which can still be helpful to FX owners when detailing);

Attached are photos of:

Rear Bumper Faded Black Trim B4 restoration
Rear Bumper Faded Black Trim after restored w/Mother's Back To Black

Rear Bumper Left Side - Faded Black Trim B4 restoration
Rear Bumper Left Side - Faded Black Trim after restored w/Mother's Back To Black

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's more...

Windshield Exterior Base Faded Black Trim B4 restoration
Windshield Exterior Base Faded Black Trim after restored w/Mother's Back To Black

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here, would like to see if the plastic stays nice and black or starts to wear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do; I’ve used the product about a year now; on my FX, lasts about six months on plastic, but less time on rubber seals/trim.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be, but doesn't seem like it; the liquid is white, actually, like a liquid wax. It will be interesting to see what results are down the road. I've used the product only since Nov 2017 on my (former) '05 FX35 - and was pleased with results, but lost vehicle in crash Apr 2, 2018 - I replaced with a CPO 2015 QX70 with lots of faded, black-plastic trimi; using Mother's Back to Black to restore the sheen - doesn't appear former 1-owner took as much care in the details.

Consumer Reports reviewed the top-five Exterior Plastic trim restorers/cleaners in 2014, Mother's and Meguiar’s, among other more expensive options:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/05/best-exterior-car-trim-cleaners/index.htm

"Bottom line. Two products—ReNu Finish and Wipe New—really stood out, far outlasting all others. They brought back a rich, dark finish to our panels and maintained that look for 70 days and 10 washes. But both come in small bottles that provide far less product than the others.

The other products made a big improvement at first, but after 10 weeks the effect had almost completely faded. Still, if you don’t mind regular applications, they offer good results and come in larger bottles."

I'll post photos of the trim as the treatment ages going forward...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay chris_s and iheartcars: I'm circling back to show the same black-trim parts of my QX70 after one-month of using Mother's Back to Black liquid restorer; this follows use in hot, dry, raining days on the road, three washes, one waxing (avoided waxing black-trim parts), etc.

I'm still sold, and I've not had to apply anymore coats; I've washed normally (using dawn liquid) and dried with chamois each time. Let me know what you think?

(Btw, not affiliated, connected or employed by Mother's products - just a happy customer!).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I really gotta detail my FX this summer LOL... :p

Looking good!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should NEVER use Dawn on a car, unless you want to strip wax to the bone and claybar and rewax immediately...

Dawn strips wax with one carwash... It may look clean but not good for your finish....
Didn't know this; there are folks/postings all over this group praising Dawn liquid for washing almost everything; huh, what do you use? Suggest? btw, my intent was yes, to use Dawn to cut the road grease/gasoline/grime, dirt from the lower panels of the car, then clean off the white paint - which took a great deal of time w/using a cloth soaked with Acetone to soften the paint, then immediately scrape off w/plastic razor blade - then clean thoroughly - and yes, rewax.

Thanks for the heads-up alert!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
The steps for detailing a car is roughly the following:

Dawn wash
Clay Bar
Water Rinse
Now would be the time to do simple things like scratch repairs or swirl mark removers, etc
Sealant
Wax
Trim detail (such as the black stuff you're using)

Then after this, just washing with car wash and then waxing... It's roughly recommended to do a full detail every spring with a Dawn wash if you're gonna claybar... Otherwise, washing with regular car wash soap is fine...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Didn't know this; there are folks/postings all over this group praising Dawn liquid for washing almost everything; huh, what do you use? Suggest? btw, my intent was yes, to use Dawn to cut the road grease/gasoline/grime, dirt from the lower panels of the car, then clean off the white paint - which took a great deal of time w/using a cloth soaked with Acetone to soften the paint, then immediately scrape off w/plastic razor blade - then clean thoroughly - and yes, rewax.

Thanks for the heads-up alert!
Regular turtle wax type car wash is fine... anything cheap at wal mart is fine as long as it is for cars...

BTW the best way to clean the sides of your car is CarPro Tar-X followed by CarPro Iron-X, You won't need claybar as it will be as silky as showroom. Then re wax and carry on as normal. I do this spring and fall and vehicles look pristine.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For guys who are following; here are pics 2-months after using Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Target had the trim restore along with these thick black microfiber cloths. It said it was made for applying and restoring the trim I wonder if it's nothing special just black vs the normal bright colored cloths, anyone seen these?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts