Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of ordering the stillen exhaust for my fx35. Any one recomend this exhaust or are there any suggestions for better ones.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Before You Make A Decision......

Here is a question? You know how, when you hit a bump, the rear feels a little bit jumpy as if the suspension is too stiff? Well I was thinking that once I upgrade the exhaust, due to the OEM' s being heavier, with the new exhaust , the rear might feel more jumpy if hitting a bump which is unavoidable while driving on the NJ highways. :?: esemes do you have any input you can add?? or anyone else???

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oh! by the way. I heard that Magnaflow was good and also Borla. Paddock exhaust is sponsered by Magnaflow . I Read that Prodrive is coming out with an exhaust system also. It will be good for some FXers who already done their exhaust to add their inputs. Pros and Cons would be nice. It helps You to decide to make a decision on which one to choose from. :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
A couple people have added the Nismo and are happy with it. I seem to recall some possible fitment issues with the larger true dual systems (Borla, Stilen, Injen) due to the FX's axles being larger than the Z or G's, so it may take a bit more customization to get one of those on there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have the Nismo on mine. It's not a true dual so it fits fine. All you need to get is the 6-8in extension piece which goes between the y-pipe and the midpipe and you're all set! Oh and you gotta get the tips extended by about 3 inches.

See "VROOM" thread for more info and pics. Sounds nice, looks nice. 8)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
A couple people have added the Nismo and are happy with it. I seem to recall some possible fitment issues with the larger true dual systems (Borla, Stilen, Injen) due to the FX's axles being larger than the Z or G's, so it may take a bit more customization to get one of those on there.
I know the size would fit although I have a 45 instead of a 35, but is it tuned specifically for the 6? Curious of the sound?

I would love to get a more agressive tone.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, we've looked into it before and the only difference between the stock '35 and '45 exhaust is internal differences in the muffler itself to be tuned to the backpressure needs of the V6 vs. the V8, so it WOULD fit, but as to the result, that's beyond me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Well, we've looked into it before and the only difference between the stock '35 and '45 exhaust is internal differences in the muffler itself to be tuned to the backpressure needs of the V6 vs. the V8, so it WOULD fit, but as to the result, that's beyond me.
What about the Y-pipe section? Is it the same between the 45 and 35?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I believe so. The only difference in part numbers was the muffler sections (and they had identical outside dimensions).

·
Registered
58 Posts
How about this...

I might really be reaching here but listen to this:

The other day I was cruising around in my 35 and I came up next to a sweet 350z. Moderate-Heavy mods. When the light turned green and he pulled off, his car just sounded amazing. I caught up with him at the next light and asked him what exhaust he was running. I was expecting him to say Borla or something. He told me he was actually running a flowmaster that was designed for the camaro! He said the muffler itself was like $80 and I assume a little custom work had to be done to connect it. What do you think about that? Does that sound realistic for the FX? :twisted:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Re: How about this...

sonoman1 said:
I might really be reaching here but listen to this:

The other day I was cruising around in my 35 and I came up next to a sweet 350z. Moderate-Heavy mods. When the light turned green and he pulled off, his car just sounded amazing. I caught up with him at the next light and asked him what exhaust he was running. I was expecting him to say Borla or something. He told me he was actually running a flowmaster that was designed for the camaro! He said the muffler itself was like $80 and I assume a little custom work had to be done to connect it. What do you think about that? Does that sound realistic for the FX? :twisted:
Interesting. I had a Corsa system on past cars and I really like the sound of that one. Looking at the old Camaro setup( LT1 motor) on the website, the muffler is similar in design to fit the FX. I love the sound. Check it out. http://www.corsaperf.com Go to the sounds and ther LT1 motor version and choose the 4 inch single tips. Here is a pic with different tips.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Pics of my Flowmaster set up $300 invested and should last 4-5 years in our salt winters( my others have)Corsa also make an aggressive sound

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually the dealer here suggested that I change the exhaust from my 35 to the stock exhaust on the 45, he says it makes a difference, has anyone heard anything about this.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
jimsbmw said:
Actually the dealer here suggested that I change the exhaust from my 35 to the stock exhaust on the 45, he says it makes a difference, has anyone heard anything about this.

Thanks

Jim
Seems odd, but it might make a difference. But that would tell me that there is a difference between the two systems.

Help me find a replacement for mine I like and you pay for shipping and you can have mine off of my 45.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
GEAUX said:
jimsbmw said:

Thanks

Jim
Seems odd, but it might make a difference. But that would tell me that there is a difference between the two systems.

Help me find a replacement for mine I like and you pay for shipping and you can have mine off of my 45.
Not to kill a sale,aftermarket are lighter and with out a doubt can give more performance...sorry my pics are too big,but it is easy and cheap!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts

GEAUX said:
sonoman1 said:
Interesting. I had a Corsa system on past cars and I really like the sound of that one. Looking at the old Camaro setup( LT1 motor) on the website, the muffler is similar in design to fit the FX. I love the sound. Check it out. http://www.corsaperf.com Go to the sounds and ther LT1 motor version and choose the 4 inch single tips. Here is a pic with different tips.
I have a Corsa Cat back system on my '96 Vette. During normal cruising, it is as quiet as a stock system. However, step on the gas, and and it gives you an authorative ROAR. I'm hoping they come up with a system for the FX. The quality, fit and finish of the Corsa system is second to none. If enough people contact Corsa regarding an FX exhaust system, they will make it happen.
I personally would shy away from a system, or a muffler for that matter, that is not vehicle specific. There are too many variables going on with back pressure, equalization, tube length and design...it could very well end up hindering your FX's performance.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

I have a Corsa Cat back system on my '96 Vette. During normal cruising, it is as quiet as a stock system. However, step on the gas, and and it gives you an authorative ROAR. I'm hoping they come up with a system for the FX. The quality, fit and finish of the Corsa system is second to none. If enough people contact Corsa regarding an FX exhaust system, they will make it happen.
I personally would shy away from a system, or a muffler for that matter, that is not vehicle specific. There are too many variables going on with back pressure, equalization, tube length and design...it could very well end up hindering your FX's performance.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. I had them on 2 different C5s and I loved them. I contacted GHL, Corsa, Borla, and a couple of others that I can' t even remember right now.

I got negative response for each :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GEAUX said:
jimsbmw said:

Thanks

Jim

Thanks for the offer, but I think I have decided to go with the stillen exhaust which they make for the 45 also. I am just waiting for stillen to quote me on the shipping cost right now.

Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
jimsbmw said:
I am thinking of ordering the stillen exhaust for my fx35. Any one recomend this exhaust or are there any suggestions for better ones.

Thanks
Jim

Just installed stillen cat back dual last night. Easy Install sounds much deeper, more power , awsome craftsmenship. The 2 resinators and the 2 muffs are polished. all stainless a few lbs heavier. sounds deeper than 45 now you can hear exhaust while driving with the windows up!

Little dissapointed that you cant see more of the muffs , would like them to be set a little lower. will get pics out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Supercharged, You da MAN! I think I can already hear you all the way out here in Allentown.

You think the stillen is heavier? You gotta give us a full report. I am thinking about getting one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts