Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed wither their resonator or premuffler. I love the exhaust note and was wondering how much louder it would be. I'm considering taking off the premuffler and leaving on the resonator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I've heard of some 350Z owners removing their resonator and most of them complain about droning. Probably excused somewhat on a sportscar but not cool on a luxury SUV. I can say from experience that the droning can be exhausting (no pun intended) on a daily driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Definitely agree. If you want to increase the stock exhaust's efficiency, I'd look into replacing the Y-pipe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
esemes said:
dont know... i dont have any sources for any stuff really...

-eS
I replaced the exhaust with 3",no resonater,and transverse Flowmaster.There is no resonance...it is loud and you could go with a quieter hi-pro muffler,but I like Flowmasters...I am also an audiophile and have good ears!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There has to be some droning at freeway speeds if you don't have any resonators. There's no way youhave no droning.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
mushutofu said:
There has to be some droning at freeway speeds if you don't have any resonators. There's no way youhave no droning.
Buick GN are notorious and I know what droning is...I have none
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
esemes said:
dont know... i dont have any sources for any stuff really...

-eS
I replaced the exhaust with 3",no resonater,and transverse Flowmaster.There is no resonance...it is loud and you could go with a quieter hi-pro muffler,but I like Flowmasters...I am also an audiophile and have good ears!
can you show some pics??

i have some ideas for a full true dual cat back, from a local shop....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
esemes said:
brnjugfx45 said:
esemes said:
dont know... i dont have any sources for any stuff really...

-eS
I replaced the exhaust with 3",no resonater,and transverse Flowmaster.There is no resonance...it is loud and you could go with a quieter hi-pro muffler,but I like Flowmasters...I am also an audiophile and have good ears!
can you show some pics??

i have some ideas for a full true dual cat back, from a local shop....
I will do some pictures on the wheels and the exhaust.after 2 lower back surgeries I will need to get a friend to do this and I am off to Miami for a break.True duals can be done by a good shop.Even though this shop had done previous work for me,I had them do one section again to get what I wanted.Watch your diameters to keep flow up,the stock piece costs us too much I thought(narrow)Above 3500 it flows and flies.
PS what is the RPM for the droning..it is RPM specific
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Over on Corvette forum, a lot of drivers have done this to their exhaust. I did it to my 2000 and it did get a little louder. It was like to small little pipes put in between the pipes, bypassing the muffler. Here is a quick pick of what I am talking about.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=609752
This gives a good look at the C5 exahust. Notice the bypass.

http://www.aandacorvette.com/

This to a website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
I have heard of cross-balancers... but that dia. suggests a str8 out flow tube, as well as the muff-in tube...

you sure they arent balancing the LHS and RHS main tubes with the smaller dia. cross balancer tubes instead?? (gives more equal back pressure this way, esp. if the length/shape of each side isnt exactly the same)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Geaux that is so ingenious! Almost like having a stright pipe.

Did you notice any gains? I would assume that you would only feel a slight gain on the freeway at higher speeds. Might lose a little off thel line with the drop in back pressure. I might try this!


I'm gonna do this some time this week if I get a chance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
I really did not feel any gain or loss. Only in the noise department. It was more agressive when my foot was in it. But it was not enough for me, and I went with a cat back on my 01.

My only concern with this one is what esemes said. It is only on one side, where the vette had it on both. Will it be unbalanced? Odd sounding, or just a straight through?

You could get any muffler shop to do it. If it does not work, just take it out and fill the holes made. Not too bad.
Sound file

https://www.aandacorvette.com/corv2.wav
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the sound....but it might sound way diff on our cars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, i'm willing to do this. If I don't like the sound then I can slways just patch up the holes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i've never posted a sound clip before. Don't even know how to do it. Don't I need an mp3recorder?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top