Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While backing up my FX35 into phamgiaj's garage today, we noticed a strong ammonia-like odor from the exhaust fumes. His FX35 didn't have this odor. Is this normal? If not, anyway know what can cause this??

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have never noticed this.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
did you just recently clean your high flow filter with 409 or degreaser?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No 409 or degreaser in the filter. It's a new Stillen filter. Never heard of ammonia being a byproduct of air-fuel combustion though... :?

Can this be serious?? Perhaps the cats are not performing normally? Gotta get this checked out.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
the reason i say this, is that a while ago i cleaned my filter with 409. i washed it and re oiled it, etc ,etc...

my exhaust smelled like ammonia for a couple of days and then it went away

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most recent things I've done on the car the past couple of days was change out the HIDs - so it can't be anything I did.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Did it have a sulpher (rotten eggs) smell?

If so, catalyic converter.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't think so. It's more of a strong ammonia odor than anything else. Maybe I should get the emissions checked just to be sure though...

·
Registered
882 Posts
i don't know but it seems like you guys have been sniffing your exhausts a little too much :p

I havn't paid much attention to how my exhaust smells...is there something you can gain from smelling your exhaust?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts