Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 FX45 with 4000 miles on it. Curious if anyone has ever had any issues with exhaust fumes inside the car. Even after a short drive, you tend to smell a little like exhaust after riding in it. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Take it to the dealer...this is a welded stainless system,there is no excuse for exhaust fumes inside the vehicle

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Keep us informed as to what the dealer comes up with. My 35 is in the shop right now for the same thing. They've done a smoke test on the exhaust and a pressure test on the fuel system. Nothing so far, not even a code in the computer. At least they haven't just given it back to me without trying.

-Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy!
New owner of a used '04 FX.

Love the car but I am having headaches and my hair smells like exhaust. I have complained to my dealer but all they have offered so far is that there may be mold from condensation. I have an appointment next Tuesday and they have a spray that you will apply. Doesn't sound quite right.

How did you guys make out with your exhaust smell????

Looking forward to hearing more about this. I noticed a bulletin about a charcoal filter? Do you think this will help?

Thanks everyone!

And thanks for a great forum!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

My FX is at the dealer today and tomorrow. This is the second time I have had them take a look at it, or rather, smell it. The first time, they ran some tests, visually inspected it, and came up with nothing. After driving it awhile, then didn't smell anything.

Today when I dropped it off, I made several people smell me, which was kind of weird. 4 out of 5 people said they couldn't smell anything, but one woman said she thought the smell was like the leather in the car.

I haven't had any headaches, but I only have about a 4 mile commute each day. The weekends I get out a bit more, but have never experienced headaches.

My brother-in-law may be able to get his hands on a CO2 meter, which would help determine if there is some type of small leak into the cabin.

I'll let you know more details once I get it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
exhaust smell

I have a 2005 FX35 and have also noticed this same exhaust smell. this is my wifes car and she has about a 35 minute commute. When she gets home her hair and clothes smell like exhaust. I recently drove from San Diego to LA and the clothes in our packed bags also gained this lovely smell.

I 1st took the car to the dealer which said i had no visable problems and they "let the car run for an hour and couldn't smell anything" I explained that you cant actually smell it while driving, but rather get the smell on you after being in the car.

My 2nd attempt was at Midas thinking they would be more of exhaust experts. They did the smoke test and pressure test I believe and assured me there were no leaks.

I have had other people smell me and they have also noticed the smell, however my wife seems to be used to it and thinks I'm going crazy because she doesnt really smell it. but she has noticed that she's been getting headaches.

The people at Midas said there is some "rich condition" that could happen in the fuel system that will cause a gas-exhaust smell, but it would come out the tail pipe rather than in the cabin, but that could be something. He printed out some info that I'm going to take back to the dealer on monday. I'm desperate to get this fixed, i dont even want to ride in my wifes car anymore and I used to love it!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
You know, I thought I had this problem when I first had my FX. Then I discovered that the smell is coming from the rubber seal around the moonroof. Whenever I open the moonroof while driving the car smells. It really bothered me at first because I thought it was exhaust or something. Then I smelled the rubber seal and realized that it was just a synthetic rubber smell.

Anyway, keep your moonroof closed and see if your smell goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem solved

Keeping the sunroof closed wasnt the issue for me, but I am proud to announce that i THINK the problem is solved.

I finally took the car back to infiniti and explained the problem, AGAIN. I told them i was ready to return the car before my lease was up. This was how serious i was about getting rid of the smell.

What they discovered was that there was a problem with the throttle body and it was creating a rich fuel mixture. This excess fuel burning apparently was causing the smell because since they replaced it (for free, car still under warranty) i have noticed no smell on my wifes clothes or hair when she comes home. I think this is a problem happening with some FXs. I plan on driving the car quite a bit this weekend and will update this post if I still experience the smell, but i think it is actually gone.

YESSSSS!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.