Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very good results. Felt like I have gained substantial HP. :D The cooler maintains the oil temp to 170*F. Super Rob and I took 3hrs. to complete the task. That was after we had some Grey Goose in our system. I drove around town and can definitely feel a difference. I was driving in auto and it felt like I was driving in manual. Soon some Pics. :D

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I am a bit surprised that we need it,but then no one thought we needed a STB and now we all have them.Thermostat is a must...will add to my to do list

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B&M is the maker of the cooler. It has a fan that is attached to it on the rear. Maintainging the temp to 170*F. If you look at the 2nd pic closely you can see it. I will post all the pics later tonight once I get off work. The wiring job will also be part of the pics. You can really feel the torque through all the RPM ranges. :)

Here is the site.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/b&m_ ... ooler_kit/

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice

Please post the item # of the one you installed. Just want to be sure i get the right one.. thanks B.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Us here from Houston (HFX) never have tried to remove the front bumper before so I have to say you have some skill there. With a help from friend, I installed myself the WingWest body kit on my previous/traded-in Accord but never thought about doing the same on the FX.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The longest part of the job was removing the bumper, grill, and the bottom shielding. Boy I can't wait to get off so I can drive the beast before it starts to rain. :p

·
Registered
411 Posts
So I'm confused... Is this an engine oil coller, or a tranny cooler? And realistically, how would either add performance? I could see them keeping performance from dropping off during extended sorties, but adding performance?

Matthew

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Engines work in various ways but they all have a theory to them. Heat, Air, and Pressure. When you have work(engine) //heat is produced. Any friction causes heat therefore a cooling medium is needed. For an engine to be at its optimum performance, it needs to be cool. Our oil is like air to a gas turbine engine. The colder it is the more dense it is, causing less expansion and more compression. Air is measured by CFM's and Oil is measured by SUS.
The meanings are Cubic feet per minute and Saybolt Universal Seconds. I am giving an example of how they work and how they relate to each other. The most important part of an efficient engine is its compression. :)

What I am trying to say is that Temperature has a direct affrect on how an engine operates. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Actually, internal combustion engines run better at slightly higher temperatures. Go read a book on thermodynamics. Both more efficient and better power. That's been proven.

I could see if we were talking about a long-haul issue degrading performance during a long track session or something. And while a hotter running engine is more efficient, it doesn't last as long, and so from that perspective, I can see this being a good mod.

But making more power? I'm skeptical.

Matthew

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pardon me for I was not focusing on the combustion side. I am talking about the difference in temperature and how it effect the engines performance. This is ultimately contributing to the life of the engine. I agree on that. I do know is that there is definitely a positive difference in the performance of this engine. Let me make it clear that I wasn't talking about the combustion side of the engine but the friction difference based on temp. compensation dealing with the lubrication. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
johnblaz2000 said:
Optimum engine performance. :wink:
Should be easy enough to prove or disprove. Tracks and dynos don't care about theory and don't suffer from a placebo effect. I'd be interested to see what the results are... And should be easy enough to bypass the cooler for before/after testing on the same day.

Matthew

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, That can definitely be an option. I have to wait till the end of this month to set up an appointment at the dyno shop. I will also be making a trip down to Charlottesville, VA. Maybe we can set up a little group meet with the local FX's.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
JohnBlaz2K,
I do a few experiments myself with some goods & some bads, regardless what the result is I give you a thump up for doing it.
I'm pretty sure that we have quite a few guys here with full of knowledge in this auto industry and what this is all about, sharing and learning informations from each others.
Most of the time I do appriciate to those with ideas, those were the first one to try out. Look in Audio/Video section, in Suspension section, in Int/Ext section and of course the Engine Mod section, etc... I see few of us came up with some cool ideas, few mods that was so popular it became a MUST to have but yet a few was bizarre, but it's all cool fellas, just keep it coming. We can take it all, right?
Quick question: Ok, can anyone else explain why my almost stock 35 hit quarter mile 14.99 @92.01 mph. The quickest stock 35 ever posted. That's some fast shyet, mate? Oh man, what have I done, I can see it's coming.....
As for this project, JohnBlaz2000, how many quart did you add on?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Unlike some who want to credit an unusally good motor,I believe you simply maxed the ecu ability to accept changes and drove it well
More air ,cooler air are well within those parameters.You were on an excellent traction track.
Add the wrong additional piece and you may not see much,although the spacer seems prime for you.
I do not believe that you have a freak motor(that exhaust notion was a bit freaky though :lol: )

On the oil cooler,race motors want to run cool(to a point),emissions motors want to be hot.Bottom line,if it shows i the butt and then on the track,there may be something there...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.