Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's a question about SPRINGS. I see some of you have noted the Eibach spring kit in your mods description, and for pricing in the mid $200s is not a very expensive add-on. My question is - what exactly does it do for you?

According to the Eibach website, "It’s our legendary spring system that dramatically improves both a vehicle’s performance and appearance... lowers your car’s center of gravity... the ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole new level." It sounds like a lot of marketing hype to me.

Installed on a FX it lowers the car by 1.2". Oohh.... aahhh... One-point-two-inches! That's it? And you get all the above? You can lower your car by 1.2" by taking some air out of the tires LOL! (j/k)

Can someone who has (1) installed, (2) is thinking about installing or (3) decided not to install pass along some thoughts as to why this is or is not a good mod?

Next can of worms I'm going to open is to ask about the Stillen strut bar, which also sounds like a lot of BS to me.... but that will be for another thread... :wink:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
You will be very surprised what even a .5" drop does to a vehicle's handling! There are springs out there for other vehicles that barely drop the vehicle, but dramatically improve their performance. As far as the STB goes, it helps to stiffen the front chassis from flexing and maintaining the wheels to keep as much contact with the ground as possible.
As you take a look at my sig, you will see that I'm not only having the Eibachs and Stillen STB installed, but also H&R's wheel spacers to even more improve the handling of my FX35's suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Ok, here's a question about SPRINGS. I see some of you have noted the Eibach spring kit in your mods description, and for pricing in the mid $200s is not a very expensive add-on. My question is - what exactly does it do for you?

According to the Eibach website, "It’s our legendary spring system that dramatically improves both a vehicle’s performance and appearance... lowers your car’s center of gravity... the ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole new level." It sounds like a lot of marketing hype to me.

Installed on a FX it lowers the car by 1.2". Oohh.... aahhh... One-point-two-inches! That's it? And you get all the above? You can lower your car by 1.2" by taking some air out of the tires LOL! (j/k)

Can someone who has (1) installed, (2) is thinking about installing or (3) decided not to install pass along some thoughts as to why this is or is not a good mod?

Next can of worms I'm going to open is to ask about the Stillen strut bar, which also sounds like a lot of BS to me.... but that will be for another thread... :wink:
I have both the Eibach Spings and STB (not stillen) installed, and I have to say:

1. I like how the FX looks lowered a bit, make it look meaner on the streets.
2. As for performance it does handle better, I had the STB installed first and felt only a little stiffer in the front end, but after the springs were installed you can noticably feel the car gripping the roads better, and the way I drive I need all the gripping power I can handle (avg 9 mpg :lol: ).

Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
jimsbmw said:
and the way I drive I need all the gripping power I can handle (avg 9 mpg :lol: ).

Jim
Jim,
What do u mean but the 9 mpg, can't be fuel consumption, is it that you can go round corners 9 mph quicker?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
9MPG is the average fuel economy I am getting. The way I drive, I usually like flooring the gas and taking corners and with the springs I did notice better handling.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The Eibachs add a tremendous gain in handling..I would also encourage the STB because it stiffens the front end...you feel it on very hard cornering- the outside front tire bites harder.so there must be some flex~

It is a whole other level of fun

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All - thanks all for the input so far.

MGFR, point taken, the Eibach thread is from early Spring-time and it didn't sound like anyone had actually installed it yet (maybe it just came out around that time?). I missed the Stillen one (guess all I ran across was intake threads). :?

I'm really curious to hear from someone who has seriously looked at it (money, time, etc. not an issue) and decided that it wasn't a worthwhile mod and the logic behind the thinking... fear of voiding the warranty? not much difference so why bother?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a question for brnjugfx45, since he has experience with suspensions. Did you cut your rear bump stop that came with Eibach? I notice that my car is riding on the bump stop(rear). Should I be worried about this?
Thanks..

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
-my back seat has been up 3 times since I owned it(1 1/2 years) and then for only one person. So I have never had any serious loads in it.Iwill try to remember to check this,BUT.yes this is a concern.When the suspension hits the bump stop the force of a bump,etc is transmitted soley to the tires(bad).
This is with Eibachs??I have yet to bottom front or rear based on feel!Worth a look!This week I hope,but rain is on way,maybe dealer will!

Anyone else sense this...we have some Eibachs with tall wheels.

The typical fix is cutting the stop in half,assuming Eibach won't replace the rear springs...drop equal side to side/front to back?

ps Shadyjc,As Jimsbmw said big plus on looks.I cannot sneak up on races anymore...looks much too aggressive and PinitiFX will vouch for the exhaust note!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
phader07 said:
I have a question for brnjugfx45, since he has experience with suspensions. Did you cut your rear bump stop that came with Eibach? I notice that my car is riding on the bump stop(rear). Should I be worried about this?
Thanks..
yo! welcome back from the dead. phader07

·
Registered
51 Posts
thanks, PINITI-FX...

brnjugfx45, there is nothing wrong with the springs. hardly notice any sag after 2 months.. front/back exactly the same hight.... i just replaced the stock rear bump stop with the ones that came with eibach springs since i didn't do it in the beginning.... the ride is less bouncy but a little harder. still nice and comfortable... i was thinking about cutting the bump stops about 1" before i put them in but decided not to.. after installing everthing i checked to see if the rear shock had enough free-play and noticed it was actually riding on the bump stop, very lightly..maybe 1mm free-play.. according to the direction(Eibach) bump stops don't need to be cut... i'm assuming that it's ok to ride on their bump stops since it was softer than the stock bump stops.... any inputs will be appreciated..

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Could someone who has lowered already please point out just where exactly does the Rear bumpstop / boot that Eibach supplies go? :? Eibachs instructions say to remove and discard the OE Rear bumpstop and dust boot assemblies and replace with theirs, but nothing under there seems to resemble it. :shock: ...and so far the ride is fine, with no bottoming out either.
* * Edit: D'oh, a couple of PM's from a few members and a call to Eibach shed some light in that the supplied bump stop & boot replace #5 & #6 on the Rear SHOCKS, not Springs for an improved ride :roll: Eibach rep said they should've been a little more clear in the Install Instructions. :shock: I was looking in the #8 area :oops:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Another way to look at this - SUV's frame warps over time from cornering because they dont have a low center of gravity. Installing the STB helps hold the front together when cornering ( big diff). Lowering the car lowers its center of gravity letting you fly through corners like you were on rails + your frame wont distort as much

·
Registered
566 Posts
Added the Eibachs Pro springs and the H&R 20mm wheel spacers to the already installed Stillen STB a couple of days ago and this sure made it feel like it's on rails. Went on a 200mile trip and the handling in triple digit speed is significantly improved and the look is more aggressive.

·
Registered
468 Posts
OK...so it was stated a couple times in this thread, and using common sense we know that lowering the car even .5" will increase handling...but what about the stiffness of the ride...has anyone noticed anything regarding that...? Stiffer...? Smoother...? Same...? I am really contemplating getting these springs because I would love to see a bit more of an aggressive look...

Also...would someone please be able to tell me what "spacers" are...? I was under the impressiong they were something different...but the more I read, the more I get confused. And I guess you could follow up that answer with the answer to "and why does one get spacers?"...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hosh, the ride will be stiffer just because the springs are stiffer.

Regarding spacers, these are metal plates that you put on your wheel hub to push your wheels out further. Many ppl like to have their wheels line up flush with the wheel wells. There's a ton of threads on wheel spacers if you want to read up on it.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
azwcat22 said:
Hosh, the ride will be stiffer just because the springs are stiffer. .

Hi Azwcat. You sure about that? I thought with a progressive spring it only stiffened up as you traveled farther down into the stiffer portions of it.

(Just sign me beginning to learn about suspensions and humble enough to proclaim my ignorance.)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
LIRob, hopefully we are all still learning

I thought the ride was smoother on relatively smooth roads,but you get into rough,it gets real stiff...they soften in a few months

1 - 20 of 26 Posts