Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but notice that it seems a lot of you are on eBay a lot. I've never been a big user of eBay, mainly because:

(1) I have this fear of getting screwed by not getting what I paid for
(2) I don't want to pay $15 for shipping on something that sold for $1
(3) I hate the whole bidding process and having to wait for 2-3-4-5 days to find out whether I was able to buy what I wanted to buy

I know people that find buying stuff on e-Bay quick and pleasant, I just don't know how to get there. I'm just curious what other peoples experiences have been, positive, negative and really what you're looking for that you find stuff for our FX so quickly and easily. :?:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hey good thread topic! I too am aware of eBay, but have never tried it. It'll be interesting to follow users experiences.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The shipping is the bigest rip on ebay. Its just a way for people to jack up the price of their item.

So far, I haven't had a bad experience with it, but then I haven't bought any $500+ items.

For selling stuff, ebay is great. I always got way more than I thought I would!!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I've been trading on Ebay for years and have never had a bad experience. You just have to use good judgement in what you choose to bid on. Watch out for:
-little or no feedback
-negative feedback
-high shipping charges
-look at what payment methods are accepted
-ask lots of questions

I generally trust anyone with a lot of positive feedback, as long as everything else looks good. It can be a pain to wait around for the end of an auction, but it can be exciting to get in and outbid someone at the last minute. I can usually find just about anything I'm looking for on Ebay cheaper than I can get it elsewhere. Not much FX stuff, though. Just be careful about buying used products (depending on what they are) and be sure to ask any questions you have before it closes. There ARE scams and shady people out there, but they're typically pretty easy to spot. Just remember: if it seems to good to be true, on Ebay, there's likely a 99% chance something's up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make sure you are dealing with reputable seller with good feedback. And have all your questions answered before you bid. Trust your intuition, if you have any doubts, don’t bid.
I have bought staff ranging from $0.01 phone adaptor (+ $5.00 S/H… D’OH!) to 70” TV (over $7,000) without any significant problems.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If it's too good to be true then it's probably not. I have bought a few things (poker table, chips.hats and prada wallert for wife). I wouldn't do the prada thing again because there are just too many chances of a knockoff for things like that. For day-to-day things or unique items its okay if you have done your homework.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
My ebay "experience" tells me that if your searching for something "used" you can get a good, if not great price. If your searching for something "new" your most likely going to get a better deal from somewhere else.

Ebay is BY FAR a sellers market. Many times I've seen items go for more than they cost new RETAIL because of some retarded bid war.

I have done a fair ammount of business on ebay, both buying and selling. I infact sold my baby on ebay this year. And for me, for *that* car it is a beautiful place.

There is no way I could of sold my car for the price I did locally because your chances of finding someone in the market for a modified car in a local market is so limited. Ebay opens the door to a world of advertisement. Me, being from Northern Kentucky, I sold my car to someone in Illinois...

As for buying, just like what has already been said. Just be smart, don't bid on things where the shipping is WAY over priced. and don't bid on things from people that have lower than like 98% positive ratings. The reason I say 98, is because there's always people that aren't going to be happy no matter what you do. I always look at the negative remarks left before seriously bidding from someone to weed out these types of people.

That's my .02 cents for what it's worth!

·
Registered
361 Posts
dmtalon said:
The reason I say 98, is because there's always people that aren't going to be happy no matter what you do.
You got that right. Awhile back, I sold some leftover games from the Playstation days when I upgraded to PS2. Sold a game to some fool, received payment from him, and sent it to him. He then comes back with, "it's not what you listed, this is the sequel, I wanted the orginal (I think it was like Tomb Raider II or something). Anyways, he accused me of misrepresenting even though you can clearly see the auction listing up to 30 days after purchase. I showed him that I had listed it correctly and he just didn't read right, and whadda-you-know, he left neg. marks on my up to that point perfect ebay rating.

After this, he either created multiple accounts or had his buddies start bidding like $1,000,000 on all my items to mess with my accounts. I reported him, but as you guys know, eBay takes a long time to sort out this type of mess. Anyways, that's my $4.50 (adjusted for inflation) on this matter as well.

Best regards.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I use ebay to buy a lot of electronics. You get much better deals there than you can from places such as Best Buy or Crutchfield, which sells at MSRP even though they are quite a large volume dealer.

When buying expensive items just make sure that the feedback rating is high (proportionate to the number of feedback they have). I also always email the seller questions before buying. I've never been ripped off on Ebay, both buying and selling.

It's a great place to buy and sell stuff as long as you screen out the "too good to be true" items from the real people wanting to sell real stuff.

Also a lot of the sellers of electronics have Ebay stores. This is another way to screen out the scammers. Check out their stores and see what other items they sell. Most also have a retail store at the same time so they include their store address and phone numbers. If unsure, just call or email and double check. Never hurts to ensure not getting scammed!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Re: Bought FX via ebay

Starpilot said:
I've bought my FX35 via ebay, everything went good.
I bought my FX on Ebay too, and everything went very smoothly. It cost me $775.00 to get it up here. Total cost was still below book price. (not much)
That's my one and only experience on Ebay, however.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have bought and sold on EBAY with no problems. I have also paid and charged $10 shipping for an item that cost $2 to ship. If the item sells in the stores for $20 plus $1.50 tax for a total of $21.50 but you are able to get it on EBAY for $2 plus $10 shipping, then why the **** are you bitching?? You just paid $12 total for an item that otherwise would have cost you $21.50. Sounds like a bargain to me......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sensei,

What is that body kit in your signature. It looks awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ebay is awesome for selling. Before ebay, if you had an old digital camera and wanted to upgrade- what would you do with it? give it away? Ebay is great for selling stuff like that.

For buying- the best deal I've ever seen are gillette mach3 turbo razor blades. These are over $2 each in a store and $1 on ebay. Over the course of a year that is $$$ for someone like me who shaves every day.
As for buying other stuff- I usually end up with a bunch of junk I don't really need, but it sure is fun buying it.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
ltmarks said:
For buying- the best deal I've ever seen are gillette mach3 turbo razor blades. These are over $2 each in a store and $1 on ebay. Over the course of a year that is $$$ for someone like me who shaves every day.
****, why didn't I think of looking for those there? I seriously cringe every time I have to buy them and my wife uses the same blades, so we go through ALOT. Off to Ebay yet again! :D

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I love Ebay or any type of auctions. I remember trying to not get outbid when I had dial-up instead of DSL.

We have recently found that buying the toner and parts for our machine in our copy store on EBay. The prices have been close to half what I was paying buying from a reselling company. So, I am actually saving money.

You do have to what the shipping charges. I have noticed if the starting bid is real low then shipping is more and if starting bed is high than shipping is low. You have to read all the fine print.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had good luck emailing a buyer and asking why shipping is so high. Twice I've had the buyer reduce the charge. make sure you email the question before you bid though. ebay is also great for cosmetics for women-- my son buys air fresheners for his car there also.

·
Registered
361 Posts
eFXction said:
Sensei,

What is that body kit in your signature. It looks awesome.
Thanks, but its just a sig unfortunately. My actual FX is stock. I'm not a big mod guy, but I just loved the pic (from the link 93til provided) and used it. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts