Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone R&R'ed the plastic panel between the rear of the headliner and the hatch? I put a tubular barrier behind the rear seats, for the dog. I want to remove the outboard child restraint brackets in the ceiling and bolt in a pair of solid brackets to secure the barrier better. But I can't back the bolts out without removing the plastic piece, and it's not obvious to me how to do this. I've broken my share of trim fasteners over the years - it's better to ask first. THANKS!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've removed mine before. Actually when I got the car that plastic trim piece wasn't on tight.

You can remove it by pulling down on it. The fasteners are pretty brittle tho. When the service tech tried to fix it he actually broke on of them which resulted me in getting a full replacement of the plastic trim.

Basically all you have to do is pull down on it. It'd be a good idea to look at the service manual to find out where the clips/fasteners are beforehand too.

Cheers. Post pics of your doggy barrier when you're done. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've built and raced about a dozen cars over the last 40 years without a self-inflicted mechanical failure. But I always manage to break interior trim fittings or some other "non-essential" (but very annoying) part when working on our street vehicles.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get the shop manual now (our FX is 6 weeks old). Happy New Year!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FX is ideal for the travellin' dog

Here's the barrier. I still have to make the brackets that bolt into the child restraint holes in the roof. You can see the cables currently securing the tops of the outer vertical tubes to the restraint brackets. I made clear vinyl suction cups into "feet" for the tops of the tubes, and wedged them against the sloping rear of the headliner. With a little force, you can really wedge the barrier between the floor and the roof - and the brackets I'll make will hold it firmly in place if the dog is pushed into it by a rear-ender. Right now, the cables do the same thing.

I guess the cups will leave round marks in the headliner. But they'll be small and symmetric - and the dog loves it back there.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts