Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of the petrol stations in my area have the new fuel 98 E15, i know it has 15% of bio ethonol , but can my car run on this crap? it is even cheaper than the 95 fuel, so i dont know should i try it , is it worth it or what? any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
The specifications and what each is called is different between you and over here but I believe that's the same as the E85. According to our owner's manual 9-4 it says do NOT use it

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
E15 is 15% ethynol, E85 is 85% ethynol. E15 is intended as a more 'green' alternative to standard gasoline and should work in most modern cars. Here in the US, E15 was just approved for usage in 2007+ cars only. There is some debate about it though. It's hard to find anything other than E10 (10% ethynol) in some parts of the US, some states mandate E10 and don't allow 100% gasoline.

Personally I wouldn't use E15 if given a choice.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
So what does "98 E15" mean? I understand the E15 is for 15% ethanol, but what's the 98? Is it supposed to be 98 Octane?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Most countries around the world use an octane scale called RON (I think it means research octane number or some such thing). In the US and Canada, and maybe others, we use AKI (anti knock index). The scale is different. I believe 98 RON translates to like 93 AKI.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
daschlag said:
In the US and Canada, and maybe others, we use AKI (anti knock index).
Actually apparently the way we measure Octane in Canada and the US is slightly different as well... apparently our 91 Octanes rate as 93 Octane in the US... why? Don't ask me! REALLY not sure why we do things differently here... just makes it more trouble than it's worth really... there are several cars that are available in the US that aren't available to import into Canada cause of certain "bumper" rules... stupid... really stupid... :(

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
daschlag said:
E15 is 15% ethynol, E85 is 85% ethynol. E15 is intended as a more 'green' alternative to standard gasoline and should work in most modern cars.
SHOULD... but see my (and your) ultimate opinion below.

I do remember reading up a BIT on this a while ago and getting bored about 1/1000th of the way through the document because it was entirely too technical to keep my attention. As a result, I formed my own opinion...

I completely agree. As I said, I couldn't bring myself to read the document but my gutt instinct is not to try the stuff... the fact that our owner's manual says not to try it helps in making and enforcing that decision for me

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so im not putting any in to my tank, my problem is that i was running on 98 , but now have to use 95, kinda sucks

·
Registered
19 Posts
E15 is 15% ethynol, E85 is 85% ethynol. E15 is intended as a more 'green' alternative to standard gasoline and should work in most modern cars. Here in the US, E15 was just approved for usage in 2007+ cars only. There is some debate about it though. It's hard to find anything other than E10 (10% ethynol) in some parts of the US, some states mandate E10 and don't allow 100% gasoline.

May I conclude from this post that it’s fine to run E10?
We do have E5 now and later this year E10 will be introduced as a more green alternative.
I have a 1st gen fx35

1 - 10 of 10 Posts