Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Results of today's dyno run. I ran bone stock with the OEM airfilter.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What gear?

What's your torque?

18's or 20's?

Oh, and............what did the Evo's put down? :D I heard a couple of Evo members were going to that dyno day.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mhgsx said:
What gear?

Fourth

mhgsx said:
What's your torque?
Torque curve was on the second chart. Max was 198.21

mhgsx said:
18's or 20's?
18's

mhgsx said:
Oh, and............what did the Evo's put down? :D I heard a couple of Evo members were going to that dyno day.

Don't know. Had to leave before they got there. There was however a supercharged G35 Can't wait to get those results.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
These low numbers look awfully similar to SweetFX's results w/mods in her 35 AWD. About 30-40HP less than my 35 AWD and drewmebaby's 35 RWD (same mods except he also had a Stillen exhaust) in Houston. Ours was done on a DynoPak.

Check our results in these threads:

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2449 (drewmebaby)

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2487 (GeoFX)

1.) Did you notice how he held 4th gear steady without the tranny trying to upshift?

2.) Do you have the temp and relative humidity?

Hope they didn't they pull out the AWD fuse... :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GeoFX said:
1.) Did you notice how he held 4th gear steady without the tranny trying to upshift?

No I don't know how he did it. But see that little loop at 3700 RPM? He said that's where torque converter tried to "lock up" nor really sure what that meant.

GeoFX said:
2.) Do you have the temp and relative humidity?
I asked him and he said hte results were normalized for weather and altitude. He said that's what the SAE Smoothing 5 in the upper right hand corner of the graph meant.

GeoFX said:
Hope they didn't they pull out the AWD fuse... :shock:
I asked him and he told me no.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copied from one of the threads GeoFX mentions above:

A bone stock FX35 AWD pulled 201hp at the wheels when Grubbs did it a while back on an AWD Mustang dyno.
http://secure.grubbs.com/fx35_stock.jpg
CRAPPY GRAPHITE LEATHER MOD

That was on a Mustang and this is on a Dynojet .

I ran between 201 and 205.

Looks to me like 200 to 205 is the right number. Right?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Well, your results do look consistent with the stated 28% drivetrain loss (roughly 78 HP) that the AWD FXs suffer from.

Looks like the mods are doing their job if it gives us the extra 30 or so HP as shown in mine and drew's FXs. Wish everybody used the same dyno to be really sure though...:)

Any other dyno results from the other FXs that were there?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could only hang out until 1PM and none of the other FXs had gone yet. Carsunltd was at JohnMax's shop so odds are he ran late. Haven't heard from PuppyC would really like to see what he did since he said he was going to do 2 runs stock and 2 runs w/the 1/2 spacer.

For future reference I found out about a Mustang AWD dyno out here on the Isalnd. Any of you guys have access to one of those?

·
Registered
471 Posts
GeoFX said:
Looks like the mods are doing their job if it gives us the extra 30 or so HP as shown in mine and drew's FXs. Wish everybody used the same dyno to be really sure though...:)
You're kidding yourself if you think your mods are giving you an extra 30 HP. I suppose he can take his car to the track and see what traps he runs. But even that method has its flaws.

Even if everyone used the same type of dyno, you still can't compare results. The only benefit this baseline run would have is if he mods his car and goes back to the same shop to re-dyno.

Here's a tidbit that I learned about Dynojets from the EvoM board....there seems to be no difference betwee 2WD vs 4WD HP readings. Evos that are converted to FWD and run on a Dynojet read the same whp as in AWD mode. Basically, most Dynojets read HP to the wheels, regardless if it's 2wd or 4wd.

So in Sweet's case, her car was converted to RWD. If the shop had a 4WD dyno, and her car was tested in RWD and AWD, the HP reading would be the same.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You're kidding yourself if you think your mods are giving you an extra 30

It would be useful to reprint this all the time,but I doubt that the message gets home.These manufacturer claims of increases are close to snake oil and turbinator claims.They are optimistic from the get and not additive.They give some sense of progress,BUT.On CAI most of the benefit for 35 systems comes from the z-tube...period.On plenum work clearly more air is producing as much or more as balanced air.Cost to power.Give me a break.Its whatever the market will take(is a half welded on plenum worth $400?or a spacer $200).When I purchased a CAI because I was promised it would fit(it did not),Upon opening the box,I laughed at what $200+ had purchased,about $75 worth of stuff-so later I designed one with 2 feeds for less than $200.
I asked my senior Tech what pulling the fuse would do-not limp home mode,but it might deny signals the ECU needed to produce full power,a new thought.
Same day,same car,same dyno,test part A then part B and you are learning.Track test for mph/hp,everything else is close to black science

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
mhgsx said:
You're kidding yourself if you think your mods are giving you an extra 30 HP. I suppose he can take his car to the track and see what traps he runs. But even that method has its flaws.

Even if everyone used the same type of dyno, you still can't compare results. The only benefit this baseline run would have is if he mods his car and goes back to the same shop to re-dyno.
Sorry that wasn't meant to be a definitive proclamation. And I sure as **** don't think the +30 difference is based on the Stillen CAI/Plenum/Ztube intake mods. :p Something is making up the difference between our runs in Houston and LIRob's and I don't know what that could be attributed to. Could be the different dynos, calibration errors, tech incompetence, who knows?

Inputting our 1/4 mile trap speeds from last year (just use the numbers from the "non-iced" vehicles - mine, MGFR, and Tex) into the HP calculator shows that we're getting close to the 230-240 HP numbers that our DynoPak results though...but you're right that method probably has it's flaws too. Look here for the HP calculator results (1st page):

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2487

I agree with brnjug about that manufacturer claims for mods (especially intake) are pretty much BS. I'm even more skeptical of "butt-dyno" observations around here from intake mods due to the "placebo effect" that afflicts most people. Remember the Injen CAI episode ("Wow I could really feel the difference!")? :p

It'll be nice if LIRob can now tack on mods and re-dyno to give the real "benefits" - and I use that term lightly - of some of these mods, especially the plenum mods. Of course the same dyno and tech will need to be involved.

By the way, it's good to able to talk about this kind of stuff with you guys again...:)

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GeoFX said:
It'll be nice if LIRob can now tack on mods and re-dyno to give the real "benefits" - and I use that term lightly - of some of these mods, especially the plenum mods. Of course the same dyno and tech will need to be involved.

By the way, it's good to able to talk about this kind of stuff with you guys again...:)
I'd be happy to do it. Here's the thing. Based on this thread I am now completely confused as to which mods to do and you guys are a lot more experienced at this than I am.

If you guys can help me out by coming up with a consensus of which mods I should do I'll do 'em and dyno 'em. It'll have to be in some sort of priority order since I don't want to crack the piggy bank open all the way. But I'll go back to the same guy to dyno, or possibly go to the Mustang AWD dyno I found out about Friday.

How about it?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
LIRob said:
I'd be happy to do it. Here's the thing. Based on this thread I am now completely confused as to which mods to do and you guys are a lot more experienced at this than I am.

If you guys can help me out by coming up with a consensus of which mods I should do I'll do 'em and dyno 'em. It'll have to be in some sort of priority order since I don't want to crack the piggy bank open all the way. But I'll go back to the same guy to dyno, or possibly go to the Mustang AWD dyno I found out about Friday.

How about it?
If you're gonna be re-dynoing after installing mods it's better that you stick with the same dyno/operator. Even better if you can get an 1/4 mile ET and mph time beforehand. If you want to use the Mustang AWD dyno, you'll need to do another baseline run before installing mods.

Personally, I'd like to see dynos on the 1) Crawford plenum or plenum spacer, 2) aftermarket CAI w/Ztube, and 3) an aftermarket exhaust. Any A/B comparisons with any of the known mods discussed around here would be informative and we're all glad you're willing to do this. A plenum spacer dyno would be the most relevant at this time since there seems to be a lot of hoopla surrounding it around these parts.

Of course in an ideal world you would get a 1) baseline dyno and 1/4 mile trap speed and ET, then 2) install mod and do a dyno and 1/4 mile trap speed and ET again with same track conditions. But that can be cost and time-prohibitive....:p

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
We'll have to see if we can accomplish something like what GEO mentioned above. We have most the parts, but its trying to get the Dyno Machine time thats whats wrong. I am going to run new plenum first, then add the spacer maybe next week sometime.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Winter is almost over and people want to go play.Always a pleasure to read you Geo.Now,back to spending $..sorry going faster...having fun!If you have a volunteer and some parts to swap around(a lot of this does not take long and a ooperative dyno operator,you can get a lot of info quickly.Great to back it up at the track if you can.

Some of the dyno charts I have seen here are a rise at 5500 and up.5hp in that range is NOT going to show much at the track although the part is working(That Injen chart was like that I recall)

Plan it,drink later and have fun
Anyone know why the spacer was not done out of phenolic(sp) for temp isolation.
There are some 35 recipes,some work a bit better than others and there is dispute about whic are better...so what else is new...****,I voted for Perot...right! :idea:

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
brnjug said:
5hp in that range is NOT going to show much at the track although the part is working(That Injen chart was like that I recall)
Or in Injen's case, an inverse relationship between added HP as shown on their dyno and HFXA Gtech 0-60 times! :shock: :lol:

Hey LIRob, you got a 1/4-mile track closeby? Might be good to get trap speeds as mhgsx and brnjug suggested plus vehicle weights. We can run your numbers through the HP calculator to see how closely it matches your dyno results.

Might also be good if we can get a stock 35 to get a dyno done here in Houston at SGP Racing as well...any volunteers? :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a 1/2" Spacer and a Z-Tube ready to be installed for Dyno runs this past weekend but i couldn't make it due to personal reasons. LIRob, what were your impressions of Pampena? I'm hoping we could setup another date and go back with just FX's. I am pissed that i couldn't make it, sh*t happens :evil:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey LIRob, did you turn off VDC for the run?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
puppyc73 said:
LIRob, what were your impressions of Pampena? I'm hoping we could setup another date and go back with just FX's. I am pissed that i couldn't make it, sh*t happens :evil:
Not that I have much experience in this area but it was a clean shop. Ray was polite and explained what he was going to be doing and took the time to explain the results to me (eventhough the place was mobbed.)

I'll go back. Hope carsunltd made it. Would really love to see the results of his spacer.

I don't believe the VDC was turned off. Didn't see for sure but I'm pretty sure I saw the frong wheels spin at start up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.