Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got back from SGP Racing here in Houston.

I topped out at 245hp at the rear wheels. It was very difficult to setup the FX on the dyno because of the tranny and its electronically managed torque converter. We could not seem to get the gear ratios to jive between the computer and the car because the converter doesn't lock up completely until 5000 rpm. This, we think, is for better streetability of a luxury SUV (easy shifting, low end torque, etc.). You should not find this issue in a G35C or 350Z with the A/T. With my mods, the A/F is running extremely rich - like 2 points too high. An ECU reflash is necessary and should net another 10-15 RWhp with this correction. Other 350's (with M/T) that have been through SGP with similar intake mods (but with stock exhaust) produce similar power as my FX. A high flow cat system will compliment the exhaust, but in SGP's opinion, headers are not necessary for our stock setups.

SGP dyno'ed a Stillen Stage 2 S/C on a 350 and found that it only made 30hp gain at the rear wheels. ****.

Mark at SGP ran my FX through a 1/4 mile run on the dyno with the tranny in auto mode and she clocked 15.10

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Thanks!
It would seem that you have a healthy motor.If possible,do you know the make of the dyno(it helps for comparisons).
Their comments about how rich the motor still is and their recommendation on future mods should be helpful to all.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
He is RWD.

Good info. Post the graphs if you can. I wonder if we can do something to our tranny to make it like the Z/G then? Would this benefit us?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Thanks Drew. Now all we need is a dyno of a stock RWD FX35 to make a good comparison. Any takers out there?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/sgprddyno.html

This is the dyno setup.

Regarding the tranny, Mark said that he is working on an A/T out of a 350 right now to get harder shifts. Our issue is with the torque converter. One could install a torque converter and valve body to eliminate the electronic slippage, I guess. I see it as necessary to get our large, heavy asses moving as quickly as we can without the excess strain on the transmission. It is the equivalent to lowering gear ratio in the rear but having it be totally adjustable via the ECU for conditions.

On a side note: I got to see a 650hp G35C at SGP as well. It was a custom VQ35 motor with twin 100mm turbos. It will be featured in some magazine in a couple of months. Finest Nissan/infiniti I have ever seen.

I suggest to whomever can do it, to have their A/F ratio checked post modifications to intake and exhaust. With a reflash of the ECU, we can pick up a nice gain in overall power -- our mods will be put to better use. I can't say enough good things about Mark at SGP, he is super knowledgeable and those guys build some of the sweetest Turbo motors you have ever seen. Mark is keeping my info on hand to give to Technosquare when he sends in my ECU in a few weeks. After Techno reflashes it, then he can do small changes via his computer in house whenever I need. I think he said 575 and 1 week's time to have it finished.

Another side note: I am going to go with a tranny cooler to lower temps for insurance sake. Does the tow package include a factory tranny cooler? Mine will be an aftermarket setup.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hmm, good point about our tq converter setup. Be interesting to see what he comes up with to help the shifts; wonder if it's similar to the level10 mod?

That's awesome news about the reflash. Are you going to re-dyno after the flash?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Ok. Just to sacrifice my curiosity I set up an AWD dyno appointment with SGP for Friday morning. 8) They may need to weld in a probe to the factory exhaust to get accurate A/F readings (the aftermarket exhaust doesn't need to do this).

Got the same mods as drew minus the cat-back...

Drew, did you retard your timing back to stock?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went back to stock timing -- after the reflash, I will most certainly re-dyno.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Does the re-flash price include any tuning runs so he can tweak/tailor it to your car or is that extra? $75 a pop for dyno runs before and after plus the re-flash cost is getting up there...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Great write up on their dyno.It makes sense that that large a market would have some good tuners.
We have at least Sweet's dyno and my350Z probably has some stock runs...they seem to dyno everything over there.

You have a trans cooler in the side tank of your radiator,an additional one may be helpful in your climate,but I would consider one with a thermastat.

I am curious about the slippage statement(ECU controls pressure range and valve body changes simple keep you at the max) and will talk with Level 10.Any good trans shop could do what they did for me and now market.
Given the amount of power put through this trans by other applications,it still lives.
.Cost vs gain...this is cheap!I bet there is some validation of exhaust work on these motors..it certainly paid off for my 45

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MustGoFastR said:
Does the re-flash price include any tuning runs so he can tweak/tailor it to your car or is that extra? $75 a pop for dyno runs before and after plus the re-flash cost is getting up there...
I think the reflash comes with a tuning dyno run.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Kinda hard to compare to Z dynos; most are 6MT (AT will be a little lower, right?) and we will lose more due to the bigg-ass wheels and tires. Still, those numbers look pretty good, given those factors, based on similarly equipped Z dynos I've seen. Only REAL comparison though, is to yourself in stock form on the same dyno, but we'll have to make due.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Speaking of re-flash, why can't anybody make something like the nice little DIY "re-flash-in-a-box" that Bavarian Autosport offers for OBDII BMWs for only $370? :?

description:
BMW programs certain limitations into their on-board diagnostics software (OBDII). Our Power Programmer remaps you BMW's software to improve performance across the full rpm range. You'll realize quicker acceleration, faster 1/4 mile times and a higher top speed. Installation is an easy, do-it-yourself operation that takes less than an hour and WHAM! - your BMW is instantly faster, and more responsive. The Power Programmer also captures your BMW's factory settings so you can restore them at any time. NOTE: to perform the Power Programmer upgrade you will need a good-quality 10-amp battery charger to maintain your BMW's battery at a minimum of 12.5 volts. If you do not have a battery charger, try to borrow one from a friend. Otherwise, they are available at many department stores and auto parts retailers.
It also raises the rev limit and removes top speed limiter. Basically it does everything the TS re-flash does for us, but is in a nice little DIY package that you can use to set back to stock if needed and do it all over again. I wonder if this gadget could be made to work for us? Are all OBDII interfaces the same? If it'll interface, the TS program would just have to be substituted for the BA one and you're good to go. Probably way too much to hope for, though. :roll:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brnjugfx45 said:
Great write up on their dyno.It makes sense that that large a market would have some good tuners.
We have at least Sweet's dyno and my350Z probably has some stock runs...they seem to dyno everything over there.

You have a trans cooler in the side tank of your radiator,an additional one may be helpful in your climate,but I would consider one with a thermastat.

I am curious about the slippage statement(ECU controls pressure range and valve body changes simple keep you at the max) and will talk with Level 10.Any good trans shop could do what they did for me and now market.
Given the amount of power put through this trans by other applications,it still lives.
.Cost vs gain...this is cheap!I bet there is some validation of exhaust work on these motors..it certainly paid off for my 45
Electronically controlled torque converters are pretty common themselves from what I understand. We are not losing power at WOT at the top of the powerband due to the converter. It is only there to help a vehicle get to the power faster that normally wouldn't have due to its size and load. Somewhat like changing to a lower gear in the rearend. At somewhere between 4 and 5K we are getting full hookup and by that time we should be hauling ass anyway. It should be to our advantage that we have this setup or else we (35 owners anyway) would feel sluggish around town at half throttle.

If you have ever driven a gas powered golf cart, the analogy is much the same. The motor is taken to its power curve and the converter transfers power to the ground to keep the motor in its zone. By the time you are moving good, it hooks 100%.

As for the exhaust, I recommend it (Stillen) or one of similar build. I personally think it has added ooomph to the old girl. She sure was screamin in that little garage at 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
549 Posts
drewmebaby:

Regarding this SGP R&D Dyno, it sounds like they can accurately measure the drivetrain loss %? I don't remember the specifics but an accurate dyno (e.g. Mustang) can have the inertia drums run with the vehicle on neutral while the controller calculates the inertia load (actual drivetrain HP loss dyno chart). We need real-world expertise and experience on how this actually works. One can then figure out true crank HP after a proper dyno run. This is something worthwhile to ask them, since you are going back for another pull.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Man, I hope it dreis out Friday; I gotta hear that thing!

re-flash sounds pretty good if that includes a tuning run. It's likley not absolutely neccessary to do a pre-lash run, as Technosquare has a good base of knowledge for all our mods.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
drew, you have a peak TQ measurement? thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because of the issues (tranny/converter) with loading the dyno and calibrating RPM's with my FX, I could only get a reading at my peak HP for TQ which was 224. This means, in my opinion that my torque probably reached a peak of somewhere around 235 farther back in the powerband.

I am going to dyno again on a drum style to get a nice graph. Conley Performance on FM525/Aldine Bender has one and it's close to work.

I like SGP and their Dynopack more for the way it allows us to see what is going on with A/F at every 200 rpm. This allows SGP to be able to send all this info to Technoaquare for precise flashing of the ECU.

-cannot remember if I met Kyle. I am terrible with names/faces.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts