Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bumped in to this forum through google. I thinks its pretty incredible!

I own a 1.5 year old Touareg, and I had it with that POS.
Next days visiting some dealers here, and will trade it in for a used FX45.
This looks to me like a logical choice. The FX has awesome looks, and the 45 is much more powerful than the V6 I had.

Is the FX generally a reliable car?
I can tell you, I owned a BMW 5 series before, and still have a Dodge Durango, and I never had as much problems in 7 years with my BMW, than I had in just a couple of months with this crap.
I dont think I will ever buy a german car again...
:evil:

Regards,

Bela

Budapest, Hungary.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hi...just make sure NOT to get the graphite interior. Other than that the car is great. Good to have you here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The graphite interior has the problem with the leather seats wrinkling issue?

Bela

·
Registered
235 Posts
bela said:
Thanks.

Bela
yup!..but it appears that other colors have issues as well but just not as severe..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip.
The one I am going to see tomorrow is silver metallic with black leather inside.
Unfortunatelly it has no NAVI, but that does not work in Europe anyway. Although I heard about someone converting id. I would think its only the DVD map which is different.
Any other issues to look for in a used FX?
I am really being paranoid, as I had the Touareg for only 4 months, out of that it was in service for 2... :(

Forgot to ask, the original CD changer does not play mp3's, rite?

Regards,

Bela

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok I think that I will help you out a lot here, at least I hope I can! Get the FX45, simple as that! I live in Germany and I drove the V6 and V8 and V10 VWS and both are noooo contest to the 45, none at all! I bought mine used with 5000 miles on it and it has the Graphite leather, and yes it is not the best, but since the rest of the car is fantastic, I really don't care! Just take it to a good leather shop and get it fixed if it bothers you that much! From what I have read on other forums with other SUVS, the Infiniti is very reliable, yes it has little problems, but not like the others, plus its faaaaaaaaast! I mean not just bullshit fast, but get out the way BMW fast! Since you are not getting the Nav that means you can get an aftermarket one and that might be better! If you have anymore questions about anything to include shipping, don't hesitate to ask. No it does not play mp3 but get the pioneer avic x1 and it does it all! Touch srceen and voice activation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lovett,

Thanks for the reply, I heard pretty much the same stuff.
I also love fast cars, but more than anything I dont want to spend the rest of my life in a car service... :D
As for the NAV I was exactly looking for that Pioneer unit.
Seems to do everything, and has a reasonable price.
Whats the average fuel consumption of your FX?

Regards,

Bela

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well I have a very heavy foot so it is not so good, so far around 14-15 mpg. Yes the Pioneer unit is one that I have been looking at, just incase they can't find a way for my factory Nav to work over here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far I have found one german compnay doing the mod, but they charge an outrageous ammount.
http://www.uscars24.de/Deutsch/infiniti/infiniti_start.html

Their english page is not finished, but in the price list there I saw the figure of 2499-2999€. :shock:
Thats more than a new Pioneer unit.

I found out though, that the Nissan/Infiniti NAVIs are made by a japanese company called "Xanavi" http://www.xanavi.co.jp.
I did not contact them, but I am pretty sure, its just a matter of getting the European DVD map for it, and maybe configuring the unit to show kilometres instead of miles.

Regards,

Bela

·
Registered
197 Posts
The company that does the software for the FX is called ZENRIN or something like that and they have no fix at the moment. I saw that other site also and the price that they quote is only if you purchase the car from them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Matter of fact I am not that far from you at the moment! I' having some meetings in Sarajevo at the moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. Small world. Did you drive that far?? :shock:
I was last week in Germany, picked up my WV from service there. Drove 1200km's or so.

As for the fuel consumption, the figure you quoted is about 15l/100km which is probably less than what my Touareg burns, and I am sure the FX45 is a rocket compared to it.
So I will probably get the same mpg but a much faster and reliable car...

Bela

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've had a 2003 FX35 for a few weeks now. Before the purchase my wife and I were very interested in the V8 Touareg. The negative write-ups from owner groups scared me and then the avg mpg reports were terrible. I know our fuel costs here in the USA are nowhere near what you pay in Europe but still....

So, after a few thousand miles with the FX35 we're really pleased! Since we're not concerned with towing toque - the V6 is powerfull enough. Plus, it has been getting 16-mpg city and 20-mpg hwy.
I too have been a German car owner for many years but I'm kind of leary of the newer vehicles from any of the Euro companies. Not the same quality from years past.

Zane

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the Touareg might have a more conventional design, which appeals to more people, but on the design side I prefer the FX myself.
I think the problem with the German cars nowadays is, that their manufacture is scattered all oever the place, and they dont have proper quality controls. Like the Touaregs and the Porsche Cayennes are assemled in the Chech Republic, some of the engines and parts are made in Hungary. The transmission is from Japan, some of the electronics is made by German companies in the far east, etc. Then, supposedly the finished cars are shipped to Germany for testing...Its a mess.
There might also be design issues, the cars are over-complicated, 3-4 computers in each of them, not to count all the little microcontrollers which drive the little tid bits. Mercedes, and probably BMW are more in grips with the technology, but both have had a lot of problems recently. (Mercesed E-class, the BMW I-drive, etc.)
I guess WV is just not capable of making a luxury car.
And I was laughing my a** off the other day, when I saw the pics of the latest Bentley (Now owned by WV) and realized, that it had the same LCD screen in the instrument panel, than my Touareg!!
Hah, the poor souls how are going to buy that car...

Regards,

Bela

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Lovett said:
Well I have a very heavy foot so it is not so good, so far around 14-15 mpg.
You're doing better than I am (I suspect you've got a higher octane over there at your disposal than the lousy 91RON (USA) maximum we can get here in CA). I get 13 on a good week, and have been averaging closer to 12.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
davezaristo said:
bela said:
Thanks.

Bela
yup!..but it appears that other colors have issues as well but just not as severe..
Not all have the issue either.

Rolling the dice. My graphite is fine, but I have a friend who has had it replaced twice. :roll:

·
Registered
285 Posts
bela said:
...BMW are more in grips with the technology, but both have had a lot of problems recently. (... the BMW I-drive, etc.)
No wonder… I-drive relies on Microsoft operating system, sooner or later you will have to reboot it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts