Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about adding Sirius to my 05 FX35 - Been reading up on it and people keep mentioning Grubbs. What is that? Is it Grubbs.com??? Secondly - I'm not good at installs and electronics...is this something any joe schmo can do? Sorry for the dumb question.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have Siruis in my 05 FX45. It came installed from the factory, but I changed out the antenna from factory to a Sirius Mini (stealth) antenna. I believe the install is fairly easy for a novice, but not for someone who has never installed anything. If you order from Grubbs, make sure you get the mini antenna. They have great detailed step by step install instructions available for download from their site.

Your other alternative is to go back to your dealer and ask if they will honor the dealer install upgrade price. It might be worth the extra $$ just to have them do it. Once again GET THE MINI Antenna.

Here's a link with pictures concerning this subject: http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3165

Other links are available on the install subject using the search function under Audio/Video/Navigation. Good luck. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help :)

Thanks for the Grubbs link especially.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a Difference between the XM Micro Satellite Antenna
and the Terk Sirius Low Profile Antenna? Theres about a $20 difference in price~ any pros or cons?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
if you buy a kit from grubbs, make sure you get all of the stuff you need.

(1) sat receiver box
(2) antenna - preferable mini or micro antenna to do the stealth install
(3) N-Bus adapter cable (allows you to plug the receiver into the stock wiring to the head unit)
(4) antenna splitter. this is needed to split the single antenna line into two inputs to the receiver.

i *think* the sat reveiver comes with the N-bus adapter _OR_ the splitter (but not both). whichever it comes with make sure you get the other part and then the antenna

·
Registered
509 Posts
psiclne said:
Is there a Difference between the XM Micro Satellite Antenna
and the Terk Sirius Low Profile Antenna? Theres about a $20 difference in price~ any pros or cons?
Which is Cheeper? I replaced my factory Sirius antenna with a Terk. It works great. My company uses Terk for professional commercial and residential applications of all types. If the Terk is less expensive, my guess is your paying for the XM name. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Terks one is Cheaper.....as long as theres no performance issues. I'm down to save $20, I can use that on gas! :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
psiclne said:
The Terks one is Cheaper.....as long as theres no performance issues. I'm down to save $20, I can use that on gas! :)
psiclne: If you go with Terk, and are getting XM make sure you get the Terk XMicro not the Sirius Mini. They are different and probably have different connectors for the different brand receivers. 8)

Link for Terk: http://terk.com/

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone happen to know who makes the Sirius receiver box? Is it an actual Infiniti/Nissan product or is it made by someone else? I read somewhere that its an "Clarion" unit - can anyone confirm that? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took me a month, but I finally order the oem kit and the N bus Adapter from Grubbs. The other parts I'm gonna get thru a friend at his cost. Hopefully I'll get the stuff this week and I can have my buddy do the install for me next weekend!

·
Registered
509 Posts
You'll find the install pretty painless. Are you going with the mini antenna?

I just installed an XM kit this afternoon for my daughters Chevy 1500. It's tied into a Pioneer XM Ready head and works great. The total kit with antenna only cost me $75. 8)

PS: Does everyone know that XM is raising their monthly rate first of April to $12.95. I wonder if Sirius is next? Psiclne, if you're getting XM make sure you install and activate before April 1st to lock in the old rate. Check their website: http://xmradio.com/

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I'm goin with the mini - but I'm still debating if I want the Terks or the Clarion. My buddy said the Clarion is made by Terks its identicle but the Clarion is cheaper.

Thanks for the heads up on the XM pricing, but I'm goin with Sirius. :D

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
****, I wish I'd seen this sooner! I'd've sold you my 3-month-old Sirius reciever (I want to switch to XM) and charged you less than new and thrown in the year left on my Sirius subscription!

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wonder If I can still cancel from Grubbs?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to status:

Stealth install was sucessful - was a sinch like everyone said it would be(Im a not hands on type of guy). There was a bunch of stuff you had to take apart, but it was manageable for a beginner like me. Thanks to the group for all the help! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.