Infiniti FX Forum banner

Door Handle Fell Off!!!

44K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  BernardWilliamson 
#1 ·
Well here's my story: I was out running some errands before the Big Game today. One of the places I stopped at was Blockbuster to drop off a movie. When I came back to my car (ignition still running), I pulled on the drivers door handle. The handle extended about 3/4 of the way, but did not "pop" the door open, much like if the door is locked. For a second I thought I had somehow locked the door! I tried it a second time, and again it didn't open the door. This time I gave it an extra little "tug", and it finally opened the door. I figured maybe it needed oiling or something and forgot about it.

When I was finished with my next stop, Ace Hardware (see my Shifter Panel "Write Up" http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12634 ), I came outside, unlocked the doors with the key fob, and pulled on the drivers door handle. Again, it came out about 3/4 of the way but did not open the door. But when I let go of the handle, it stayed out!! I was like WTF!? So I pushed it back in and tried it again. Same thing. So the third time when it didn't open the door, I decided to give it the extra "tug". Much to my dismay, there was no resistance at all as I pulled the door handle COMPLETELY OFF THE CAR!!!!! I was standing in the middle of the parking lot with a Infiniti FX door handle in my hand!!!! :bad-words: I looked over at the older couple getting into their weathered Subaru station wagon next to me, and they were staring at me with this "luxury" SUV door handle in my hand. :?

Let me clarify that I did not yank the **** thing off the car with wreckless disregard. I pulled on it with the same minimal force as always. That was why I was so surprised that it came off in my hand!! From looking at the broken handle, it appears that there was a crack on the part that releases the door lock. Since I haven't heard of this yet on the forums, I assume I am the only one who has had this happen.

So for now, I have to roll down my front window with the key so that I can open the drivers door from the inside. :roll: I am calling Infiniti of Tucson tomorrow morning to let them know I will be coming in to have this fixed. I will expect Infiniti to cover this under warranty, as a door handle falling off is not something I expected when I paid for this "luxury" vehicle.

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
Cinegal11 said:
Here's the update - My service advisor hadn't seen this happen before with door handles breaking. The management at the dealership is going to charge me for the part only and not labor to put it on. The part is @ $147. Since there is no official recall or proclamation that this is a defective part, the dealership can't do much else. At least it's $100 less than the previous week.

-- Kim
Yeah, it happened to me twice as well. I truly believe that certain FXs had a bad batch of these handles installed -- why else would some of our 2004 FXs have TWO broken handles, and yet other handles from newer models have none broken? It certainly is fishy. I don't have to worry about it anymore because I sold my FX.

#54 ·
jnawaz said:
i was wondering if some one hasthe part number so i can order it online.
What year?

#55 ·
Not that this will remove your situational pain but I have a set of four tech handles in p3erfrct condition I'll sell for $175.00.......

#56 ·
Logan said:
Not that this will remove your situational pain but I have a set of four tech handles in p3erfrct condition I'll sell for $175.00.......
still have them! :)

#57 ·
Hah, not something I would ever run an ad for but I'll sell them for a great price. Amazed at how expensive they are.

#58 ·
My 2009 FX 35 driver's side door handle just got replaced. Locked me out of driver's side 2 x when the weather went below -10 celcius. Embarrassing to have to go through the passenger's side to get in your car but my friends BMW X5 just went through same problem. Guess it can happen to any car.

#59 ·
Julian said:
My 2009 FX 35 driver's side door handle just got replaced. Locked me out of driver's side 2 x when the weather went below -10 celcius. Embarrassing to have to go through the passenger's side to get in your car but my friends BMW X5 just went through same problem. Guess it can happen to any car.
It's not a good thing when our Infinitis are compared to the mechanical problems of a BMW. :?

#62 ·
Well I have an '04 FX35 and the darned driver's side exterior handle broke just like the previous pictures. Muranos have broken handles reported as well. This is clearly a poorly engineered component. The dealer would not cover the replacement and quoted $500+ for parts and labor. I am not impressed with Infiniti on this one.

#64 ·
Same thing happened to my FX35 2005. It just came off in my hand. And my dealer has quoted my 400$ total to replace it. This is so frustrating. First dashboard bubbles issues and now this door handle. I am also experiencing another issue which is torn leather on the driver side. I love my FX35 but so disappointed with all these issues.

#65 ·
FX Door Handle Came Off

It's outrageous. My handle fell off and the service writer told me 'well....how often do you use a handle?'. I told her I use the steering wheel quite often as well and don't expect that to fall apart based on age or use. This isn't a normal wear and tear. It's not brakes or belts or suspension. It's a freak'in door handle! I've owned 15 cars in my life and never has a door handle come off the vehicle. It's costing me over $400 to replace. I will never buy an Infinity again....some 'premium' car huh?

#66 ·
I will never buy an Infinity again....some 'premium' car huh?

I doubt you will ever buy an InfinitY again either, because there is no such car brand....

#67 ·
Same story. Driver door handle came. Off. At first it would stick out 1/4 in. Today. It came all the way out then off. Very surprised to see cheap plastic parts inside. That kind of crap black plastic that turns white Ben you bend it. A new handle will cost $100 for the part and another 100 to I stall in. Bummer.
I've never had a car door handle break in any other car I've owned, and I'm old!
Tomorrow I will look at it with my tool kit and epoxy to see it can be saved. I hate giving the dealer $200 for them to replace it.

#68 ·
Old thread, but same thing happened, same exact location. We've got the intelligent key handle so the handle is $200. I found someone selling the passenger side handle on ebay for $175. I assumed the handle could be flipped over to work on the drivers side, and from everything that I've looked at, it will.

#69 ·
You suggested I pay the Infiniti dealer $110 for one hour labor to install a door handle on my car. They quoted me $2000 to replace the four door handles which I thought I should do since three handles broke within one months time.
Did a dealer really just charge you one hour labor for one handle since you had already bought the part from them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.