Infiniti FX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting reading about the broken door handles. Went out today and unlocked the 2004 Red FX35 and bingo, the door handle is now in my hand. Pretty cool. So I called the dealer, Lake Norman Infiniti, and Miss Stephanie told me there were 5 different handles for my old beater. She asked me for the VIN number. I love that. It's like aslking where the ATM machine is. Anyway. They didn't have the correct one in stock but it's on order. I think when it's all done it would be cheaper to just go ahead and buy a new one. I'm afriad to ask them about the magic locks that only work when it's below 40 degrees outside. I will be content with a new handle and reaching over to unlock the passenger door for Miss Lisa Belle. If it ain't one thing it's another!

·
Registered
25 Posts
ATM machine = Automatic Teller Machine machine. VIN number = Vehicle Identification Number number. Sorry for being obtuse but it gives me a grin when I hear or read it. :lol:

As for the door locks working in the cold mine only work reliably when the temp drops below 40. Above that they get all sticky and don't lock or unlock properly. The dealer solution is to replace them for about $2000 so I can live with reaching over to unlock the passenger side.

I hope that clears it up for you.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Gotcha... lol @ ATM machine and VIN number; I get it now. I'm so used to hearing it that it didn't even ring a bell. I agree with you, redundant!

As for the locks, have you tried greasing the moving parts inside the door jamb? It may just be something mechanically getting caught up and the dealer is too $tupid to figure it out and/or is too lazy and charging you to replace the whole damned thing is easier for them to do!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did try some WD-40 but it's hard to figure just where to shoot it in there and I'm not taking the door panels off. I have more important beer to drink than fool with that mess. :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took the '04 FX in to the dealer for the new door handle. $390 later I can get in without having to lower the window. I also told them about the finicky door locks and how they work great when it's cold outside but not so good when the temperature rises. They figured out the soluution. Replace all of the the lock motors. $2000 minimum. I politely declined.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Nchusker said:
Took the '04 FX in to the dealer for the new door handle. $390 later I can get in without having to lower the window.
What did they charge you for to replace the door handle? Mine was about $260, but I don't have tech. If you have tech, then that makes sense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The total was $390 for the new handle and the labor plus they gave it a super wash and added some tire shine so it seems like a good deal. Oh, and of course that price includes the Lake Norman $$$ premium. Probably could have had it done cheaper in Charlotte but their service department didn't feel like answering the phone :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just found this forum and am so relieved. I have an 04 FX35 and the door handle fell off! This happened last week. I didn't use any more pull than I normally do so I took it into my dealership to have it [email protected] $260. later, I got a new one. Now again...THIS WEEK my other door handle fell off!

That's how I found this forum. I couldn't believe that this might not be a recurring problem and perhaps some research was in order.

Due to the first one being recently fixed...I was even more gentle with opening my doors. As described in earlier posts, the door handle came out about 1/2 way. I thought I hadn't completely unlocked it or something. So I pushed it back in. The next time I opened it, it broke off in my hand. Both times, I was amazed at the cheap plastic the handles are made of.

I brought it back to the dealership yesterday and the service adviser said he would speak with the manager about this problem. He was flabbergasted that it had happened again and so soon after the first handle broke. There was a definite look of embarrassment on his face.

I really do think this is some kind of design flaw and should be replaced at no charge!
I've owned many vehicles over the years. My '94 Ford Explorer with over 200,000 miles has had lock problems but never a handle falling off! You'd think with a higher-end vehicle this would have been addressed. It literally could be a safety issue in some cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the update - My service advisor hadn't seen this happen before with door handles breaking. The management at the dealership is going to charge me for the part only and not labor to put it on. The part is @ $147. Since there is no official recall or proclamation that this is a defective part, the dealership can't do much else. At least it's $100 less than the previous week.

-- Kim

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Well... better than nothing... at least they're trying to take care of you... now what about giving you a credit on the earlier labor charges.... ? :)

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Cinegal11 said:
Here's the update - My service advisor hadn't seen this happen before with door handles breaking. The management at the dealership is going to charge me for the part only and not labor to put it on. The part is @ $147. Since there is no official recall or proclamation that this is a defective part, the dealership can't do much else. At least it's $100 less than the previous week.

-- Kim
Yeah, it happened to me twice as well. I truly believe that certain FXs had a bad batch of these handles installed -- why else would some of our 2004 FXs have TWO broken handles, and yet other handles from newer models have none broken? It certainly is fishy. I don't have to worry about it anymore because I sold my FX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thankyou everyone for sharing. same situation im in!
i was wondering if some one hasthe part number so i can order it online.
many thanks you all

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
jnawaz said:
i was wondering if some one hasthe part number so i can order it online.
What year?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not that this will remove your situational pain but I have a set of four tech handles in p3erfrct condition I'll sell for $175.00.......

·
Registered
942 Posts
Logan said:
Not that this will remove your situational pain but I have a set of four tech handles in p3erfrct condition I'll sell for $175.00.......
still have them! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hah, not something I would ever run an ad for but I'll sell them for a great price. Amazed at how expensive they are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2009 FX 35 driver's side door handle just got replaced. Locked me out of driver's side 2 x when the weather went below -10 celcius. Embarrassing to have to go through the passenger's side to get in your car but my friends BMW X5 just went through same problem. Guess it can happen to any car.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Julian said:
My 2009 FX 35 driver's side door handle just got replaced. Locked me out of driver's side 2 x when the weather went below -10 celcius. Embarrassing to have to go through the passenger's side to get in your car but my friends BMW X5 just went through same problem. Guess it can happen to any car.
It's not a good thing when our Infinitis are compared to the mechanical problems of a BMW. :?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My door handle doesnt open the door from the outside, is it a good time to replace it?It also doesnt sits flush on the door , and hangs out an half an inch more then it should when you pull on it.I had my actuator replace yesterday.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts