Infiniti FX Forum banner

Door Catch Worn Out - A Common Problem Easily Fixed - No more door closing in the wind!

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mwr 
#1 · (Edited)
FIX YOUR DOOR CATCH WHILE YOU HAVE THE DOOR PANEL OFF

Remove The Door Cover/Panel

* Watch this video:

* Just remove the 3 door screws as shown in the picture below,

* Remove the master window control panel first. Just pop it out of it's normal position and you will have easier access the the electrical connectors this way!

* Do not remove the door locking actuator cables or mark them if you do.

Tip: Use a small screwdriver and squeeze it with one hand to depress the "tab" that locks the electrical connector in place.
* With the door panel hanging by the locking cables...

* Remove the three 10mm speaker screws, but not the speaker wire. Just let the magnet hold the speaker the the metal door frame...out of the way... while you reach in the speaker hole and remove the door catch. (3 bolts to remove first)

==> Then just spit the door catch assembly open by bending 4 tabs with channel locks. (Don't use a screwdriver and stab yourself!)

==> Then remove and flip the plastic parts over.

==> Then add two #8 flat washers to each side (total of 4 washers) which will act as shims... and that will put more pressure on the already worn plastic parts... hopefully making your door catch good as new! Reassemble. Easy-peasy!

IMPORTANT: Before you put the door cover on ==> initiate a "windows relearn" procedure as follows:

* Find and remove the quarter size (round) black tape cover which hides the relearn button. This cover and button is located about 8" from the speaker.

Why do this step?

1) It can't hurt and it may help both your window action and fix this door lock/unlock problem if you find your fob sometime works and sometimes does not open or lock your door, especially when it's hot outside.

HOW? I hope the windows relearn might re-calibrate the BCM, but I really can't say for sure. I will know more over the course of the next couple weeks and if my intermittent fob/door lock/unlock problem is fixed. If is is fixed by doing this then I will say these measure are the cure for the problem. TBD.

CONCLUSIONS: If these steps don't work then your only other option is to either replace the entire Lock Actuator as a complete assembly, or you can take this assembly apart and just replace the locking motor inside. And if there is any truth to the possibly of one door like motor affecting all the doors, then I suppose I would replace the driver's side door lock motor first since it probably gets the most wear.

Good luck and let us know if any of these suggestions work for you!

Asphalt Road surface Tire Aircraft Vehicle

Watch Hand Arm Sleeve Motor vehicle

Font Adaptation Photo caption Event Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

See less See more
1 4
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.