* If they buy your car stright out?
* On trade allowance?
* On the car you want to buy?
* or on the whole deal?

Or is all of the above set in stone?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I believe it is set in stone. This does not mean that you cannot try. I did try when selling my old car but I have failed... :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
My experience, "Stone". They will give you fair market value on either side of the equation and that's it! If you want to practice your negotiatiing skills, look elsewhere...

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
carmax will NOT negotiate. dont even try.

the good news is that its FAST, FAIR and EASY.

bottom line is that at most carmax locations, you are going to get a pretty good price. i have gone to them on three separate times for 2 cars and had an appraisal at KBB privagte party trade, good condition. not bad for only 30 minutes ,NO hastle, and free :)

give em a try .....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah they are set in stone. I've bought 3 cars from them and they have bought 2 from me,and on one of those I didn't even buy a car from them and they treated me fairly and like an adult. I hate dealers that think your stupid.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
race4aliving said:
I hate dealers that think your stupid.
ROFL...that would be "you're"...but you meant that, right?
"get a brain morans!" :lol:

just kidding there race4aliving :D do a search on a lot of my posts and it looks like im drunk and typing with a stick :p

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
race4aliving said:
FromHereToInfiniti said:
race4aliving said:
I hate dealers that think your stupid.
ROFL...that would be "you're"...but you meant that, right?
:oops: My bad.
where do you live in northern VA? (i see NOVA in your stats)....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sold one car to Carmax at what I thought was a fair price. On another I tried to sell, they lowballed me by about $2500. Not sure what was up with that??? - Carmax was over $2000 lower than EVERY trade-in offer I rec'd (4 diffewrent dealerships!!).

By the way, Carmax makes an on the spot offer that is good for 7-days or 300 miles.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
race4aliving said:
where do you live in northern VA? (i see NOVA in your stats)....
just west of Fredericksburg.[/quote]

cool, we are going to get a mini meet going in the early spring maybe at the drag strip at MIR. you'll have to come up and train the ECU a bit :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Carmax won't negotiate, but...

You can always use their free estimate to influence any potential dealer offer you might get. I actually got over bluebook when going to carmax...while the Infiniti dealer lowballed me by about $6k (greedy bastahds). It doesn't take much convincing (at least it didn't for me) to get them to match the carmax offer. Might depend on the resale-ability of your trade-in, tho...

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I first went to them to take my FX off my hands I thought they lowballed me. After going to a few dealers and asking for trade-in values I realized they were dead-on to what the fair market value was. It was quite a bit lower than what Kelley Blue Book quoted as a trade-in value. The good news is when I went back a month later, they still honored the original estimate they had given me, while my payoff had dropped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.