Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really didn't do my due diligence before buying my FX in terms of Infiniti or this model's reliability record. I had the Cayenne S in my crosshairs but decided against that. Other than the Porsche, I didn't have anything else in mind for a crossover SUV. I don't think I missed the boat though because I've heard so many scary stories about the BMW X5's reliability and build record as well as the Touareg's. Have you heard of any such stories regarding our FXs? Mine only has 1200 miles so I cannot comment other than I love the thang. I was just on one of the Touareg boards, http://www.clubtouareg.com, and some of those owners are seriously pissed at VW. Do you know anyone ready to get rid of their FX?

·
Registered
549 Posts
cantdrv55:

I have close to 12K miles on my 2003 FX45. No problems except for some minor rattling on the rear windows when they are open less than an inch (lubrication by the dealership helps for awhile). I don't even have any problems with the black leather as you've most likely heard from many here (just a few normal creases from wear). I do believe that the stitching and design of the seats could be better to prevent ANY creases or minor stretching over time. Perforated seats do a much better job of preventing wrinkles on my other 2 vehicles (no defects whatsoever minor or otherwise) and look sportier just like the new 2005 FX seats. Also, the tire pressure sensors are off about 5-6 psi which the dealership can't do much about since the sending units are self-contained (read require a re-design of parameters/sensing).

Other than that, I've had NO mechanical, handling, ride or quality issues for me in general. I didn't go into all the TSBs which were proactively taken care of. I do wish that Infiniti would offer a FULL leather option package (dash, doors, center console, etc.) along with more AL trim on the doors.

Also, I hear that there is a recall soon for the FX concerning different compound rear brake pads which will perform better (wear better) and produce less noise. I haven't had this issue although my SA @ Infiniti gave me a heads-up on this.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Answer to the title question: No.

I've got 20k+ miles on my '03, and have had around five recalls, and TSBs worked on, a paint defect on the hood, and a big door ding (received while at the dealership for the hood fix). In total, probably more problems than 95% of the FX owners. However, they were all fixed (except the hood & door ding), during normal oil change service calls.

When I complain about my FX, it's kinda like bitchen' about my wife...ya know things could be better, but ya still love her. That reminds me...time to check the oil. :D

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
My complaints are all about the dealer.... But other than that I love my FX

oh yea.. one other thing, so far there is only one dealer who would patch my tire in this town. and way too much also.....charged me 42bucks... :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
If the clearcoat paint hasn't been scratched, paintless dent removal should be able to remove those dings perfectly for around $50 a panel . It works wonders and I've had it accomplished on a few vehicles in the past. Concave dings will look perfect afterwards!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
...Oh, that's what "Just another day in Paradise means!" :oops: :lol: 8) ^(for FromHereToInfiniti)^

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
all in all this is a pretty well made car.....especially for those of us with the first model year ('03). i have some issues with my drivers seat rocking, but its insignificant compared to the overall quality.

do i bitch about my seat from time to time? ... yes

do i love my fx more? .... yes

would i get one again? ... yes

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Boy, what is with all the Touareg stuff. :roll:

Car = :D

Dealer = :(

We are a very happy and very friendly type of FX owners here.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Other than spending $200 for a replacement 18" tire :oops: (I should have bought the road hazard ins. from day one) we have been quite pleased with our FX. Its fun to drive and fits our lifestlye. 8)

I will be retiring my lifted Jeep (that Ive spent thousands) from DD service sometime next year and getting another FX is a possibility.

VW owners are a certian personality...trendy? I'll never own a VW personally.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
2nd Infinti. By far the best "all-around" vehicle I've owned. Nothing else I've owned or driven comes as close to hitting the mark in almost every aspect of ownership.

Love it! :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
15k plus miles and except for the crappy armrest,
this beast is one helluva piece of engineering 8)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I really love this car... the ony thing is the ride is too stiff for my wife and with the baby coming soon, its not the best SUV to carry my family. If only they included an adjustable suspension then its the perfect car for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
FromheretoInfiniti mentioned a couple of recalls and TSB. Do you have a list of recalls and tsb? I know about certain TSBs, but had not heard of any recalls? And what is the thing about the hood paint defect? I have a problem with the paint on my hood (small problem) and wanted to know if there was a fix.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I haven't had any problems yet besides having to buy a new set of tires @ 35K miles. I thought they were to last to 50K. I haven't had any rattles or anything. The truck is pretty tight. the suspension is pretty stiff. But , that all comes with a real sport SUV. :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
There have been some minor problems and few of them were quite annoying for a $45k vehicle but car itself is very well made and engineered. Wish Infiniti used better material inside.

But the dealers.. :evil: :evil:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts