Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...This thing has been discussed before and I am not going to spend over $100 or $200 on 1 or 2 capacitors. I finally made one myself and it all cost about $10. Initial test result: I can definitely feel less burden on the engine with the a/c on, and idle speed stays about the same with or without a/c. It is easy to make and whether it is useful or not, it is only $10.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the schematic I based on. Basically just connect the capacitors together parallelly. You need high temp.(105 C) 25V capacitor of 4700uf, 2200uf, 1000uf, and 470uf. The high number is for high rpm and low number for low rpm. You can double up the capacitors also. 20A fuse and some power cable. The LED is optional. It just connects directly to the battery.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott,
I am sure you heard this thing before. Basically it is just some capacitors connected together and acted as a second battery. It is commonly called voltage stabilizer. Since nowadays not only stereo, a/c, headlights etc. need power, all those sensors, modules, ECU, etc also need power too. So eliminating the fluation(sp?) in the current/voltage can in theory brings optimization on all electrical parts. It goes well with grounding kit too.

I am really not good at soldering....in fact I did a terrible job....so... :?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
e39ng said:
Basically it is just some capacitors connected together and acted as a second battery. It is commonly called voltage stabilizer. Since nowadays not only stereo, a/c, headlights etc. need power, all those sensors, modules, ECU, etc also need power too. So eliminating the fluation(sp?) in the current/voltage
Um, not trying to hate on ya, but you should be aware that inside every electronic component that relies on the +12V main bus are several sets of bypass caps- and they're at the power/ground pins the unit (and its associated sub-chips) itself uses, where they'll be of the best benefit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...first of all, I am no engineer and the statement I made is just from what I read and heard. The reason I made one myself is because of the cost of those branded one. There are tons of this DIY on the web and they have basically the same structure of the branded one. So if it's not going to work, I only lose $10 and that will make me feel better :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
e39ng said:
Well...first of all, I am no engineer and the statement I made is just from what I read and heard. The reason I made one myself is because of the cost of those branded one. There are tons of this DIY on the web and they have basically the same structure of the branded one. So if it's not going to work, I only lose $10 and that will make me feel better :D
I'm a little confused that you would admit to not being an engineer, but that you would be willing to make a small circuit that you'd put on your vehicle, and risk messing with something that was made by real engineers...how would that make you feel better? Admittedly, this is a very simple circuit, but to me, it fits right in with the grounding kits, and fuel savers...all snake oil. :roll:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again there are tons of this DIY on the web and several of my friends made one themselves and nothing went wrong or burn. I may be a little crazy though :D I agree with you that this is sth controversial but for $10, wth? Or better yet if the branded one will let me try it for $10 or even free, I would have done it also.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
particlefx said:
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with trying inexpensive experiments, especially if someone else has proven it doesn't cause any damage. I was wondering if you enclosed it in a plastic case and where did you mount it?
Yeah I will put it in a plastic project box but they are backorder till next week. I will just double-side tape it to side of the battery or somewhere nearby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts