Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience installing the OEM tow hitch themselves? I know you have to trim the bumper, but that's not a big deal for me. I'm just wondering how hard it is to do the installation and if anything else needs to be cut/drilled or if it's a bolt on install.

Also, anyone know if the instructions for doing this are online anywhere?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also interested

The dealer has quoted me a price of $1,200! They claimed that both exhaust and suspension components must be removed. I can get the hitch and harness from Grubbs for $504 (inc shipping) Do I have to remove suspension pieces, how long of job is this? I do not have a lift but I have a floor jack and full assortment of air tools.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had an aftermarket hitch installed by SportsRack for about $375.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Even though I had mine OEM installed, any professional trailer-hitch company should be able to install it properly with a warranty. I do remember that it was pretty extensive install, but then again, mine was the first FX hitch install at my dealership. $1200 for half a days work from supposedly, competent service techs seems really high doesn't it?

Tackle the install yourself only if you'd had experience with it or are mechanically confident in doing it properly. I know that most owners would like a warranty for the long run should anything occur while towing, the electricals, etc..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wildewinds said:
Has anyone had experience installing the OEM tow hitch themselves? I know you have to trim the bumper, but that's not a big deal for me. I'm just wondering how hard it is to do the installation and if anything else needs to be cut/drilled or if it's a bolt on install.

Also, anyone know if the instructions for doing this are online anywhere?

Thanks for the help.
Yes you do have to trim the bumper, it's not too hard but it requires a lot of work because you have to remove the muffler. I would pay a shop $70 to do this part.

The wiring part is fairly easy and you can do it yourself. It takes about 2 hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts