Infiniti FX Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
hi everyone, I need some help I am replacing my front brake pads, but i'm stuck at the final step when i put the caliper back with the new pads on. It wont fit because the caliper is contrated or adjusted to the size of the old pads and i cant open it more to the size of the new pads. can someone help me with this please?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
You need to use either "gator pliers" or a c-clamp to help you compress the piston back into the caliper. Don't go TOO far though or you may damage the rubber boot in the piston. Do a little at a time until the caliper and new pads will fit over the rotor

·
Registered
334 Posts
kieranlavin said:
You need to use either "gator pliers" or a c-clamp to help you compress the piston back into the caliper. Don't go TOO far though or you may damage the rubber boot in the piston. Do a little at a time until the caliper and new pads will fit over the rotor
Thank you so much :)

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
No problem. Did you get it back together? Make SURE you have the two pins on the caliper TIGHT. Not the short bolts connecting the caliper to the hub but the longer ones... the ones you losen to swivel the caliper up to replace the pads.

My wife's Maxima has lost one of those pins more than once. One time actually stranding her an hour away and when I went to retrieve the car, the stupid service station wouldn't allow me to work on the car on their property :roll: I asked the attendant if he could help me by doing what I asked him to do. He jacked the car up, I asked if he had a 13mm ratcheting wrench (which I didn't need) and by the time he returned, I had what I needed done and the car back on the ground. I threw him $20 for the help ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wanted to throw in my thanks to the OP and those that have posted with tips since then.

Had the same trouble with my brake rotor not coming off in the rear.

I hit the e brake off and on 5 or 6 times, then resumed hitting it with a hammer. I was replacing the rotor so I wasn't scared of really hitting it (I always hit the hub and am mindful of the wheel studs), but it took 20 or 30 solid hits to knock it free.

Another trick is to throw the wheel back on with 2 or 3 lugnuts and to use the wheel as a much larger and easier to grab surface that gives you leverage. Other than that it was a breeze.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Are the pictures missing for anyone else?

I hoping to do this today.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, most (but not all) of the photos are not showing up for me. I've made a post in the Site Issues and hope the admins can fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to have my wife do the footbrake driving, but since in receipt of the Motivic there is no need. I think I have healthier controller with it too, plus it's a lot easier. Super illustrations! Taking all the pictures and writing the text for it all! I'll bet you helped a lot of FXers with this article.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.