Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disappointed, dismayed, dejected, disgusted, defeated, deflated, deterred, depressed, despondent, disillusioned, despairing...... help me out here, you get the idea.

I don't have the DVD wiring harness!! I read all the threads, picked what seemed like the easiest, most effective solution, and tried to follow the thread by ak1nza to hook up to the wiring harness under the armrest. I picked up the Belkin car kit, picked up the Radio Shack phone jack, the 1/8" cable, the pins, a soldering kit... soldered the leads onto the phone jack, made up the jumper to short out the two pins, had my drill ready with th e7/32" bit, took the back cover off the armrest, and.... NO EFFING wiring harness!!! Why me?? I thought just about all the FXS have the wiring harness. I dug around in there with my big hands, but it's not there. I was about ten minutes from hearing my new 40 gig Ipod through my FX's stereo, I have about a 6 hour trip to the Adirondacks planned for this weekend - a nice little break in ride for the FX - that I wanted to bring hours and hours of music for..... and then this setback... no harness.

I should have looked forst, but figured most FXs have it.

Now what? I like the idea of plugging in under the armrest. Any possibility to remove the console and snake the wires back behind the HU and splice into a feed there? I didn't want to get as elaborate as Shady's amplifier solution, I'd just like to plug in under the armrest for now, and loop the one wire out of the armrest opening. ****, I was so close!

Aaargh,
Mike

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd look into trying to order the dvd harness from your dealer or online (save $$), if avaliable.

Do you have Sat radio or plan to? If not, I'd give the PAC unit a try. It'll give you 2 AUX inputs via Sat button. I dont think there's any wires to splice, just plug n play. Like Shady did. I am going to get this interface myself to plug in the modded xbox. I think it would save you from a lot of grief trying to directly connect to the pin outs on the back of the radio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
definetly try the PAC

The PAC install is very simple, and Shady did a great job documenting it. It is likely to be just as hard, or harder, and more expensive to get the harness if it cannot be found. For under $100 and an hour or so in time, you will be pleased with the results, assuming you are not going to use SAT radio.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
WasRXNowFX said:
I should have looked forst, but figured most FXs have it.
What's that they say about hindsight being 20/20? :)

My FX35 was built in June 04 and I did not have the harness so that's when I started looking for alternatives. But hope is not lost for your trip this weekend... the hardest thing for you will be to find the PAC parts locally.

WE (collectively) are here to help if you need help with the install, but really, if you were ready to away drill and already soldered together your own cable, you will be laughing at the simplicity of the plug-n-play install of the PAC solution.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Instead of using the SAT radio input (I already have SAT radio), can I use the DVD port instead for the PAC solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
GeoFX said:
Can I use the DVD port instead for the PAC solution?
GeoFX, this can be done but unfortunately not with the PAC components. The PAC device is specifically designed to fit into the SAT port.

Take another look at the posts by gtxjoe in the Write-Ups section, I am pretty sure he describes how to wire directly to the back of the radio HU to use the DVD audio wiring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, first of all... my apologies for being so rude. After reading my post, I realized it was my first ever posting here at InfinitiFX.org, and all I did was complain. I never even said hello. I guess I've been following the threads here, and on the Fresh Alloy site for awhile, knew a few of you by your screeennames, and felt so "at home" here, that I neglected to introduce myself. My bad.

Also, thank you all for the encouragement and the advice on the Ipod install. ShadyNJ, especially for the message, the encouragement, and the detailed advice.

I'll probably try the Shady installation, but I won't have time to try it before the weekend getaway tomorrow. ****, but I'd have loved to bring the Ipod on this trip. I'm really looking forward to taking the FX on a ride up the Northway, and Rt. 73 - the twisty mountain two lane into Lake Placid should be fun. Three of us going backpacking in the Adaks. My friend has a new Saturn Vue, and I have the new FX-35. He suggested his car - that it might have more room, might be more economical.... I said, "I don't think so!". He understands... I'm anxious to get my FX out on the road. Had it for almost two months now, and barely broke 1100 miles. I'm loving the performance, the handling, the comfort inside, and of course... the way it looks! No mods to it, but it's beautiful just the way it is - brilliant silver, with the graphite interior, touring and sport packages (all it needs is an MP3 player!). I should get some good pics of it up in the Adirondacks this weekend. The brilliant silver Infiniti should stand out nicely against the backdrop of fall colors up there.

I'll work on the Ipod when I get back.

Later, y'all....
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Welcome to the ORG..

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts