Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just checked the oil level on my suzuki DRZ400s....no oil on the stick :shock:

im looking around and i see that there is dried up oil under the rear brake pedal and sure enuf, i look up and the clutch cover is cracked about 1.5 inches long :shock: (obviously from the brake pedal hitting it on some hard landing or something :( )

i cant remem ber hearing the engine running bad on the last ride, but god knows how long i was running this thing with little or no oil :x

anyone else ever have this happen? what do i need to inspect now to make sure i havent destroyed the engine?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Once you replace the clutch cover and fill it back up with oil, I would start it up and give it plenty of time to warm up slow at idle allowing the oil to thoroughly circulate and lubricate. If it runs smooth and you experience no unusual vibrations you'll probably be allright.

If the crack was at the top of the cover you probably didn't loose all the oil even though the dip stick didn't read anything. These engines are very forgiving. Your bike is also water cooled so unless you were really pounding it, I doubt you did any damage from over heating. Most mechanics will test for damage by listening and feeling for vibrations. Unless you want to tear down the engine you'll have to use your other senses.

PS: you want to buy a matched pair of 1997 Honda CR125's? I'm tired of 2 cycles and ready for a 4 stroke to match my Warrior 350. 8)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually looking at the owners manual now, it looks like all of the oil settles down into the bottom of the engine and does not read on the stick anyhow when its cold. from the picture it looks like there may be a bunch of oil below the crack (which is half way up on the cover).

i think im going to buy an sfb billet cover and replace it myself, change the oil and see how it runs.

i think ill drain the oil and see how much comes out (if any) before i start it up and i see that there is a special oil check release on the bottom of the engine that i can open to do a quick check too.

looks like a have some work to do next weekend

...sorry, no 125s for me. i need that 4 stroke power to haul around my fat a$$ :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.