Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W00T!! Aite, so it's been a while, but no sick profs nor sadistic TA's can keep me from my one sole desire in life that is to mod my FX.

As with many of you I'm sure, I've been wanting to replace our Infiniti clock with a decent digital one, and I finally got around to doing just that. However, I couldn't stop there, and so I had to make a design statement, ..and add GPS

What you will see here is what I put together over the course of a few weeks (in terms of design and fabrication). I installed it all tonight, and I am ecstatic. OMG does my FX look hot!!!

What I have is a computer that links up with the NavStar GPS satellite network to download the time, date and Latitude & Longitude (updated every second, accurate to ~3 feet). Yet, that's the "blah" part. It is the DiSPLAY method that adds the quiet life of design, form, and beauty.

I've scoured the world for just the right kind of Nixie Tubes, and I've finally found them, in East Germany, no less. These are numeric displayes that proliferated form the late-1940's to the mid-1960's before LEDs and digital displays existed. You've probably seen them used on old science fiction films and horror movies, or seen them in uber-rich design magazines (in $4,000 clocks). They've stopped making them decades ago, but you can still find them around (on eBay, in Russia, etc.).

I've always found that these displays have a very appealing look and aesthetic appeal, and I've always wanted to build a clock out of the few I've gathered over the years.

I've done that, and put it in my truck. The high-tech interior of the FX, plus the clean aluminum finish melds so beautifully with the neon glow of the displays. See for your self below. I have ordered a new clock plate, with the intention of machine-cutting out a much nicer design--this was just to test it, so no comments about the aluminum dremmeling job

Upon boot-up and acquiring the NavStar signal (a few seconds), the time is displayed synced to the Cesium atomic clock of the US Military (..yey!). I have it set now to cycle through the following every minute: Time, Latitude, Longitude, Date, Interior temperature, back to time (24h format); the PLC is fully programmable to display whatever/whenever. For me, its perfect. When looking outside into the car through the tint in the windows, you can only see the glow of the numbers themselves, not the tubes, which has a wonderfully clean aesthetic effect. When my new clock-plate comes in, I will cover the display with a tinted plastic as well.

I have just videos take with my digital camera. This is because I installed it at night (tonight), and my camera would either use the flash, obliterating anything to look at, or over-expose each image (so you see nothing but an orange blur)--The video mode did work, however, and you can see the clock animation in real-time. (Please ignore the background muzik At sun-up I'll venture out to take some photographs.

Anyhow, I'm tired and have lots of homework I gotta do--just thought I'd share what is most likely the FiRST car since the 60s to have Nixie Tubes used in it, and most certainly the first FX with such a hot GPS

Ciao!

FoxHawk

The computer on my desk, pre-installation:

Another, showing current coordinates of...my desk :)

In the FX!!!! (Showing the coordinates of my garage!!!--where am I?)

Check this one out.

With the Lights ON.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Way to go, Fox. ...and Welcome! (move to >> electrical? >> audio/video/nav >>) not very nice 05fxguy :x

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
FoxHawk said:
W00T!! Aite, so it's been a while, but ...
Its been a while?? - this is your first post :?:
Don't assume that everyone over here knows about over there :?

PS: Welcome to THIS group.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, it's certainly unique. Very Buck Rogers. Good job, man! 8)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
FoxHawk said:
I've scoured the world for just the right kind of Nixie Tubes, and I've finally found them, in East Germany, no less. These are numeric displayes that proliferated form the late-1940's to the mid-1960's before LEDs and digital displays existed. You've probably seen them used on old science fiction films and horror movies, or seen them in uber-rich design magazines (in $4,000 clocks). They've stopped making them decades ago, but you can still find them around (on eBay, in Russia, etc.).
Reminds me of the 80's movie "War Games"

To each his own; but it ain't doing it for me.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Well I like it. Found one similar on ebay, see my other post.

Some like it and obviously some dont. :roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FXECUTIVE said:
Well I like it. Found one similar on ebay, see my other post.

Some like it and obviously some dont. :roll:
Hi--what post? Sorry, couldn't find it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Very cool Foxhawk!

For those of you who don't know him, he's been around the FA forum for a long time, and come up with some very inovative ideas. The style may not be for you, but ya gotta give the guy credit. 8) Personally, it reminds me of some of the equipment I used to work on in the '70s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts