Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was getting gas and cleaning my windows with the foam squeegee thing at the station.

My drivers' side mirror was dirty, so I used the foam thingie to rub it, then flipped it and tried to squeegee it off.

Unfortunately, the foam part then touched the drivers' door, putting, what I thought, was some grime on the door.

So, in a blink of an eye, and flash of stupidity, I used the foam part to brush/scrub the door. Then I realized I was not cleaning it, I was scratching it! Arrrrgh!

It's hard to tell, but I took a pic, below. I enhanced it a bit, so you can see the scratches.

So here's my question: How do I remove this? This buffable with something?

To add to the mystery, perhaps this was doomed to happen. As you may recall, http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3323 I had my door skin replaced about a month ago. Perhaps the paint job the repair place isn't as tough as it should be? .. I suppose I could try the same rubbing with the squeegee foam thing on another part of the car, to see if, perhaps, the repair shop should be fixing this.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
yeah i can see the scratches.........i don't know....looks pretty deep......only thing I can suggest is Scratch-X...but that's for light scratches. Might be worth a shot. You can keep it for inevitable lighter scratches no matter what! :eek:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Last Saturday I worked on a couple of scratches on my hood. :(

>Worked the scratches with very mild rubbing compound. Mcquires has the best rep for this.
>Applied 2 coats of Zaino Z5 (made to fill in light scratch and buff marks)
>Applied 2 coats of Zaino Z2Pro (high polish look)

Obviously I didn't do Zaino on small sections. I used Z5 over the entire front end to get even results and Z2Pro over the entire car.

The result is I can't find where I had the scratches before the work. All is not lost. A little elbow grease and time and you will be living large again. Good luck. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
man... I feel your pain about the scratches.... it looks like deep scratch...This morning I had the most frustrating car wash... As I was washing my car, pollens and seeds were falling onto my car and I found about 5 chipped paints on the hood and the column of the windshield.... so I didn't even bother drying my car....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never used a rubbing compound before. Is it a wipe-on, wipe-off type product?

.. Or how about those wax liquids that are supposed to remove swirl marks, that are semi color matched? Would that work?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Rubbing compounds are applied like wax (rub on rub off). You need to be really careful with rubbing compounds. They contain abrasives intended to even out scratches, but the abrasives will also put swirl marks in your clear coat.

If you're not willing to go slow with the rubbing compound and follow up with a filler like Zaino 5 or equal you should just try a filler. If the scratches are too deep for a filler, then try the rubbing compound. But don't get too aggresive. Try a little at first and keep checking to make sure you aren't doing additional damage :oops: you can't live with.

Check out the Detailing section of this forum for lots of advice and product recommendations. 8)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the all the info.

Just a comment .. If I brush my finger across the marks, I don't feel indentations .. if it were a deep scratch, I'd feel them, right? So perhaps they're just "marks" that need to be removed with some sort of cleaner.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whew.

I tried a product called "Scratch Off" .. some liquid white cream.

Rub on, rub off, buffed it a little, repeated a few times.

All the scratches, minus one, were 98% gone. The one that remains is about 1/8th of an inch .. but that's totally fine. There are other little nicks in the car here and there, from regular driving.

Thanks for everyone's help! -- I'll try the Detailling forum next time I do something stupid!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.