Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Mr. Happy bought an '04 FX35 AWD Loaded Last year for 43K (before trade) and this year goes back to Upgrade, is it realistic for him to take an 8-10K Depreciation Hit? :? ...btw, Mr. Happys FX is X-tra clean with extra low mileage. [Wanna see?]

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
From what I understand, my 48-52K '45 Tech is worth about 300 bucks right now. Good thing I like the car ...! :oops:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
well...the goof thing is that mr happy is trading in a 35 and not a 45.... :lol:

in 1.5 years my car is worth about 10 K less than the price i got it at..... in all reality that seems about normal for the first year or two. ....sad, yes,.....realitistic, yes :roll:

you just need to decide whether the upgrade is going to be something that you'll keep for the full duration (i.e.. 5 or more years).

its not like you are trading the car to another kind....you just want more torque, so its easier to justify this if you wanted to keep the orignal FX anyhow, but want the top dog in the stable

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Hey Piniti, that recent thread (about people wishing they got the 45) get to ya? You should call the new one Super Kiti! You could change your plate to SUPRKITI.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Figure 25-28% 1st year depreciation for Infiniti. FA veterans may recall an article some1 linked after the end of '03 model year where some east indian dude from an obscure marketing firm was saying how Infinitis would get 5-7% reduction in value loss once '04 cars roll around due to unexpectedly strong showing of '03 G35C/S and FXs. Well, it turned out to be a bunch of bakhlava. I just ran mine on KBB and it again showed 25% drop. And that's based on my VPP asking price of the car. Without factoring in a near $4K mark-up.
BTW, when I was shopping around my '03 G35S 4 separate dealers - Acura, BMW and 2 Infiniti - offered me same exact KBB trade-in price. Which they called " wholesale " since none planned to resell my vehicle due to whatever. And that particular offer reflected 28% loss in value. Luckily the G was purchased on the old VPP program which used to be below invoice, plus I paid cash for the car. Thus the total loss I had to eat up came to about $5K only. Not too shabby, considering I've got to drive it for 12 months like Mario Andretti - earning a shitload of citations in the process - for such a modest cost :twisted: .

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
johnmax said:
Hey Piniti, that recent thread (about people wishing they got the 45) get to ya? You should call the new one Super Kiti! You could change your plate to SUPRKITI.
It was the primary reason why I asked that question in that Thread header http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2949 After deciding on an 35 AWD/Sport last year, I should have reasoned on it a little more to realize that negotiating would've yielded us a 45 for @ an extra 6K more ~ My mistake. ~ We just got back from the dealer today and to get a 45 Now would cost us more than Twice that amount. :( After comparing Stock 35's and 45's today, we realize that KITI is about in the middle of the two, and for that kind of $$$, at this point, it's just not worth it for us Now. *One mistake back then was enough, I didn't want to make a 2nd Now that would cost me a small fortune.* We felt that the 2nd mistake would be tougher to live with, than not have gotten the 45 to begin with. :shock: I just have to figue out how to get better MPG's outta KITI so we can stay Mr. & Mrs. Happy and enjoy R'NITI-FX! :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm not even thinking about selling the FX. So far I love it and would not trade it for anything else on the market.. As to the depreciation, Infinitis tend to go down in value quickly for some reason; not sure why...

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
krzys4 said:
I'm not even thinking about selling the FX. So far I love it and would not trade it for anything else on the market.. As to the depreciation, Infinitis tend to go down in value quickly for some reason; not sure why...
this is slowly changing now that infiniti is a real player in the past 2 or 3 years. they are slowly marking out their niche as the japanese BMW

·
Registered
779 Posts
they are slowly marking out their niche as the japanese BMW
Based on my last experience with BMW, I sure hope you are wrong. I owned POS 3-series for 4 years and within these 4 years I have visited BMW service department 19 times. :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I went to various Nissan dealerships with a fellow HFXA member in December to get a trade-in value of his 04 FX35 RWD Sport (no tech) w/10K miles. He got offers from $26K-$28K for it. Expect about several $K less for an 03. Price quotes were given from the Infiniti dealer down the road and independent wholesalers. CarMAX also offered the same range but of course selling to them will negate any trade-in tax advantages you get here in TX (which can be A LOT).

Figure the Tech package might get you an extra $2-3K but don't count on it. That's assuming the dealer is in a good mood and he's making some profit on the new car...otherwise you won't get jack. I think people are deluded if they think they can get over $30K for any 03 at a dealer (unless it's private party where the buyer can appreciate any performance mods, upkeep, color combination, etc.). Low mileage doesn't mean squat when you're talking about a year old car - it's the model year that counts.

I would wait until depreciation levels off at the end of year 3 if you can wait but hey it's your money. I was thinking about trading up earlier but the bath certainly wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
krzys4 said:
they are slowly marking out their niche as the japanese BMW
Based on my last experience with BMW, I sure hope you are wrong. I owned POS 3-series for 4 years and within these 4 years I have visited BMW service department 19 times. :evil:
this is what was said in Automobile magazine. more of a homage to good performance than overall quality :)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
GeoFX said:
I think people are deluded if they think they can get over $30K for any 03 at a dealer (unless it's private party where the buyer can appreciate any performance mods, upkeep, color combination, etc.). Low mileage doesn't mean squat when you're talking about a year old car - it's the model year that counts.
this is pretty much right, but i did get an appraisal of my 03' 35 AWD Tech with 23500+ miles from carmax at 31K which was KBB private party trade in good condition. ... not bad for the year and milage for a non private party appraisal :)

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
bradical said:
this is pretty much right, but i did get an appraisal of my 03' 35 AWD Tech with 23500+ miles from carmax at 31K which was KBB private party trade in good condition. ... not bad for the year and milage for a non private party appraisal :)
When did you get it appraised? Before or after the 2005 FXs came out? My guess is that you wouldn't get that now...;)

Over here CarMAX is a rip-off...seems like they're more sensitive to regional supply-and-demand factors than here in Houston (where supply is always high) and can price cars more in line with KBB. Wouldn't get the trade-in tax breaks though out there...

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
GeoFX said:
bradical said:
When did you get it appraised? Before or after the 2005 FXs came out? My guess is that you wouldn't get that now...;)

Over here CarMAX is a rip-off...seems like they're more sensitive to regional supply-and-demand factors than here in Houston (where supply is always high) and can price cars more in line with KBB. Wouldn't get the trade-in tax breaks though out there...
just a couple of weeks ago for the appraisal. it was right at the beginning of january so im assuming that since the 05s have been out for a bit that this would still be close. ... but ya never know ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts