Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off no offense to those who have taken a car with a brick interior because they genuinely and honestly LIKE IT.

that having been said in MY OPINION infiniti has marketed the FX very poorly. To begin: foisting its obtuse colors and purchase requirements on the public. i'm sorry but brick is really orange and they could have sold a lot more berilyum, copper and black fxs for that matter if they used charcoal ONLY or even willow in the black and berilyum instead of the sickly brickly. also orange just doesn't go with berilyum.

if you go to the infiniti site to build a car, you can no longer get black roof rails with certain packages, even though the car is still trimmed in black, you are forced to take silver which matches nothing on the vehicle. also want XM from the factory? it costs $4000 because they ONLY offer it with the nav system. there are lots of little annoyances like this that make purchasing an fx far less than a desirable proposition, which in my opinion is dumb and works against the overall goal of selling your vehicle to the public in the greatest numbers you can.

Again, it's just my opinion but they need to let the customer CHOOSE (at least from what is offered) instead of forcing their options, package requirements and color combos on them. i post this in hopes that somebody in infiniti might read it and wise up.

All i can think is that somebody in japan must of gotten a GREAT deal on orange leather cause the FX and Muranos are full of it!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I agree with you on the packaging scheme and how the customer should have these choices.... It is definitely silly and can turn away a lot of potential customers.

I think many members will disagree strongly with your opinion on the Brick interior/color schemes. I certainly disagree with you on the silver roof rails - I think it looks fantastic on my silver car and the silver rims go well w/ the rails. All a matter of opinion ofcourse. ;)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I agree with your assessment of some of the color combinations and the deal with the roof rails IS a shame. My '03 came without rails altogether, and while I originally wanted them (but they cost an arm and a leg to have dealer installed), I prefer my FX now without them, which isn't even an option for '04. In defense of the Brick leather, it has held up the best of any of the colors, does not get dirty easily and hasn't exhibited any of the infirior quality issues of the graphite leather. I love my brick and think it looks awesome in a black FX. I especially like the black headliner you get with the brick; very sporty and IMO much better than the willow headliner that matches nothing but the willow interior. Sorry you don't like it and I agree that the dealers seemed to have a lot of it on the lots, which may have turned some people off from buying right then and there, but that's why you order what you want (which unfortunately won't help anyone with the roof rail situation).

·
Registered
882 Posts
Let them market the car poorly...the Less fx's I see on the road the more special I feel :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for the misconception. all i know is that i wanted an fx45 berilyum with the $10k off deal and all they had was a brick interior. i said no thanks and found a white one with willow (which is all you can get with white btw - i would have loved a charcoal interior with a white fx).

i guess it all goes back to the notion that you should try to give the customer what they want instead of dictating their choices. hopefully that's something that can be understood.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
ujmot said:
I think many members will disagree strongly with your opinion on the Brick interior/color schemes.
Oh, come on, does ANYBODY really think a red FX with brick interior looks good? Guess they had to have some offering to those whose sense of style and good taste is inversely proportional to the size of their bank account (you know, those rich, fifty-something ladies with big hats, gaudy rings and skin tight leopard print pants). :wink:

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I was looking for my FX my first choice was Copper/Brick, my second choice was Berilyum/Brick for the first month or so the only berilyum FX's i could find was with the charcoal interior. I did find a Copper/Brick that I got. It seems that the dealer always has the color combination that you don't want. Personally I would not have bought my FX if the only choice of interior was willow (to light) or charcoal (to dark).

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
so_cali said:
sorry for the misconception. all i know is that i wanted an fx45 berilyum with the $10k off deal and all they had was a brick interior. i said no thanks and found a white one with willow (which is all you can get with white btw - i would have loved a charcoal interior with a white fx).

i guess it all goes back to the notion that you should try to give the customer what they want instead of dictating their choices. hopefully that's something that can be understood.
Well that I understand. Perhaps it was all the insulting rhetoric that clouded your point (like sickly brickly, fugly silver rails, etc..).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
so_cali said:
I'm sorry but brick is really orange
Suh, them's fightin' words! <glove slap>

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
so_cali said:
I guess it all goes back to the notion that you should try to give the customer what they want instead of dictating their choices.
No, the first job of a business is to make profits. I'm sure someone at Nissan considered long and hard about what colors to put where. Sometimes the customer's needs can't be met- thank God for a free-market economy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guess i expected that the brickys would be out in force to defend their "choices" but i think part of it is based on the notion that early adopters are so enamoured and excited about getting one of the first FXs (which is admittedly a VERY cool ride) and since they have that sense of excitement and mindset they gotta have one, the orange starts to look okay to them.

when i was at the dealer talking to the sales people they weren't real excited about the brick (they kind of winked and laughed about it) and mentioned it had cost them some sales. their comment was something like, "do you think infiniti listens to us?!?" since that's the hand they were dealt by the mfg, they are forced to make it seem cool to their customers. in my mind it always gets back to the concept of no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it's still basically an oinker.

i freely admit it's about profit but i gotta think that the FX profit situation would be higher had there never been any brick to cloud the issue or that you had to REALLY want brick it to get it, and that most FXs came with and could be chosen with more neutral colors (charcoal in the pearl white for example). i mean c'mon this is supposed to be a classy vehicle. do you think BMW or Mercedes would ever offer orange interiors in their X or ML classes? i'm sure THEY were HAPPY to see the brick! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
that having been said in MY OPINION infiniti has marketed the FX very poorly. To begin: foisting its obtuse colors and purchase requirements on the public. i'm sorry but brick is really orange and they could have sold a lot more berilyum said:
first off the brick interior is sick and it is what seperates nissan from the other boring cars out there. when i custom build rides on the internet at sites like lexus etc i am forced to have a black or willow interior. black to me is boring. white is impossible to keep clean and again boring to me. i think they look great in an fx so i am not putting down peeps on here with those colors! i am just saying to me they are not very interesting. but i like to stand out and i love how nissan gives u that option :D

and in terms of the roofrails i dunno why peeps are complaining the wheels are silver and so is ur big azz grill and the door handles so it matches perfectly!

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I would have been greatly disappointed to see the beautifully progressive, aggressive and evocative styled FX only come with "neutral colors". Would white with charcoal be nice? I guess. Would black with willow? Probably. But I don't get you; you couldn't get charcoal so you whine about the brick leather instead. Or are you bored and simply trying to start a brick war? I chose brick because it looks nice, fit the style and color of the car, it felt more durable than charcoal or willow, and has a very nice texture. Same goes for the chrome rails; they look perfect and match the rest of the car. So no, I didn't buy the car because it looked "okay", I bought it because it looked awesome - inside and out.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Black/Brick was my first choice. My wife has vetoed that idea after seeing how much time I spent cleaning my last black car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm definitely NOT trying to start a brick war and respect people for getting what they want - IF it's available (which IS the point)! i will definitely also agree that brick can never be called boring.

again no offense attended to all you brickys. my main point to this thread is that in my opinion nissan is limiting my choices (and similar potential customers) in an illogical and counterproductive way and i just wanted to express that.

that having been said, a fine medium gray would have nicely served those that didn't want charcoal or willow. :twisted:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a brick fan either. However, I think your argument about regarding the FX profit situation is flatly refuted by the increase in sales that Infiniti has seen since introducing the FX (as well as the G35s)...they've sold quite nicely, though they did get burned at the end of the model year.

Would they sell more if they offered every color option anyone could want...sure! But, it costs MONEY to do that, and that's why you won't see it happen.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
so_cali said:
i guess i expected that the brickys would be out in force to defend their "choices" but i think part of it is based on the notion that early adopters are so enamoured and excited about getting one of the first FXs (which is admittedly a VERY cool ride) and since they have that sense of excitement and mindset they gotta have one, the orange starts to look okay to them.
I wouldn't say that's the case at all. If you don't like the brick, then find one in another color combo and wait a bit to get it. DG/Brick was my first choice; my wife liked black exterior and DG was VHTF, so black it was. There was never a question about the preferred interior. I traded a 6MT DG/G G35 coupe for my FX; liked the coupe, but thought the color combo was kind of boring (not why I traded). I originally ordered a 350Z in Silverstone with the burnt orange interior; just thought it looked cool and was always my first choice.

I suppose it can be frustrating if you have something in particular in mind, but can't get it from the factory (I originally wanted a Chrome Silver Z with burnt orange, but you can't get it that way), but if you're dropping this much cash on a car, then it shouldn't be all that big a deal to have a custom interior done if you really want it; probably be higher quality stuff anyway...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
so_cali said:
You're on crack. I bought my FX in early November, after it had been out on the streets for 6 months (and huge as SoCal is, while I had one of the first ones, I still saw a few on the roads).

I absolutely positively didn't want any color but the Copper/Brick, and for the 32.5 seconds where I'd considered the Murano, I wanted only their sister colors. I shopped 5 dealers in the greater LA Metro area (Peyton Cramer, Glendale, South Coast, Miller, and Cerritos) and my first question was "What do you have in LQ/BB?" Not only that, but after 4.5 months and 13,000 miles, my brick interior has none of the seat problems others have mentioned.

Just 'cause you don't like it means nobody else does.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
kcrudup said:
and for the 32.5 seconds where I'd considered the Murano
:lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts