Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my own oil tonight because it is due and we're going out of town and I can't wait to take it to the dealer.

Well, I'm glad I did wait because I discovered two very bad things that Frontier Infiniti in Santa Clara did when they did my first oil change.

1) The drain bolt took 65 ft lbs of tq to remove.

2) They used the FX35 oil filter, no the FX45 (31U00 or 9E000).

I'm pretty pissed as I just went 7K miles (granted it was all freeway) without an oil change. Still within schedule 2, but not when using the wrong oil filter.

What should I do when I go in on Tuesday? What should I demand of them? Is there any real harm done?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Sorry to here that. :cry:

I would think your still filtering the oil even if its the wrong filter.
What is the difference in size between the two filters?
So, I'm guessing the filter sealed ok? No signs of leaking?
The 45 and 35 filters are threaded the same?

That really sucks :evil: :evil: :evil:

Save that filter for your service manager and bring your receipt.
I'm guessing you dont want free oil changes from them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm guessing that there's just a flow rate difference between them. Assuming that that is true, your oil pump was probably straining with the smaller filter...possibly shortening its lifespan. I doubt that they'll do anything for you, but if I were in your shoes, I'd make **** sure I called customer care and expressed my anger, and concern...and ask that it be documented so if you do have an early meltdown, that they cover all the expense. And, keep the filter as evidence.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
I would think your still filtering the oil even if its the wrong filter.
What is the difference in size between the two filters?
So, I'm guessing the filter sealed ok? No signs of leaking?
The 45 and 35 filters are threaded the same?

IIRC, the FX45 oil filter is just a little longer than the FX35 model, less than an inch I think. All other dimensions are the same. Mobil 1 told me the bypass valves are identical, so there should have been no damage from oil starvation even if the filter was clogged. I was considering using the '45 filter on my '35, but the difference was so slight it didn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts