Infiniti FX Forum banner

Dashboard cracking across from vent to vent

8K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  DHolliy 
#1 ·
I have an fx35 2005. And all of a sudden the dashboard has cracks all across from around the steering wheel to the vents on left side to the right side. Went to an upholstered shop and was told it is a manufactured default in the making of the car. Has anyone else have this problem? Has there been a recall ?

#2 ·
No recall on this but there may be a class action lawsuit in your region. I believe there are a couple out there still. Infiniti extended the warranty to 10 years and unlimited mileage. I haven't seen widespread cracking but the soft touch surface has bubbled pretty badly on many 1st gen FX's. Mine is just starting after 15 years so I will be looking to replace or re-upholster the dash.

Search for "bubbling dash" for more info.

#4 ·
You'll have to search on this forum for "class action lawsuit" or "bubbling dash". I remember seeing a few posts about it. Not sure what region they were in, but they were in regards to the bubbling dash problem and extending coverage beyond the extended warranty.

#5 ·
So, Infiniti replaces your bubbling dash 2 years ago, only to have the new one begin cracking already? I’d go right back to the dealership.
I will say I’m shocked to see they replaced the dash, free of charge, 2years ago. This has been an issue for many years, and recalls only last 10 years by law in most States.

#6 ·
I live in Dallas, TX. This past Monday I purchased a 2003 FX 35 with 154k original miles from a private seller who listed the vehicle on Craigslist Dallas. I am the second owner. The vehicle was in Fort Worth, TX. The only thing wrong with it was the cracked dash.

Miraculously when I arrived to look at it, the original owner informed me that he'd just recieved a call from his local Infiniti dealer offering to honor the recall by replacing both the passenger side airbag and dash for FREE. The service manager explained it's a way for Infiniti dealerships to make money because Infiniti reimburses them for every recall repair.

The seller forwarded me the contact information for Infiniti service manager when I bought the car. I called him yesterday. He offered to send a flat bed to me with a loaner car on it and just to take my FX back, replace the airbag and dash for free, conduct a multipoint inspection and give me a free Mobil 1 oil change.

This morning that Infiniti flat bedded my to their dealership and promised it will be ready by tomorrow evening at which point they will flatbed it back to my driveway.

* He told me that rarely can the passenger airbag be replaced with out worsening an already cracked/bubbled dash and since Infiniti Corp is already reimbursing them, they just do it anyway.

I LOVE my FX35 and because of God's, blessing I'll be happy to pass on the name of the dealership along with the service managers name and contact information.

NOTE: I checked with the Dallas Infiniti dealership just to see what they'd say about the recall and they only wanted to replace the passenger side airbag..

Just let me know...Happy & Safe Motoring.

#11 ·
I live in Dallas, TX. This past Monday I purchased a 2003 FX 35 with 154k original miles from a private seller who listed the vehicle on Craigslist Dallas. I am the second owner. The vehicle was in Fort Worth, TX. The only thing wrong with it was the cracked dash.

Miraculously when I arrived to look at it, the original owner informed me that he'd just recieved a call from his local Infiniti dealer offering to honor the recall by replacing both the passenger side airbag and dash for FREE. The service manager explained it's a way for Infiniti dealerships to make money because Infiniti reimburses them for every recall repair.

The seller forwarded me the contact information for Infiniti service manager when I bought the car. I called him yesterday. He offered to send a flat bed to me with a loaner car on it and just to take my FX back, replace the airbag and dash for free, conduct a multipoint inspection and give me a free Mobil 1 oil change.

This morning that Infiniti flat bedded my to their dealership and promised it will be ready by tomorrow evening at which point they will flatbed it back to my driveway.

* He told me that rarely can the passenger airbag be replaced with out worsening an already cracked/bubbled dash and since Infiniti Corp is already reimbursing them, they just do it anyway.

I LOVE my FX35 and because of God's, blessing I'll be happy to pass on the name of the dealership along with the service managers name and contact information.

NOTE: I checked with the Dallas Infiniti dealership just to see what they'd say about the recall and they only wanted to replace the passenger side airbag..

Just let me know...Happy & Safe Motoring.
I'm in San Antonio and I'd appreciate if you could forward the Service Managers information so that I can contact him directly. I just purchased a 2003 FX35 with a severely cracked dash, but the rest of the vehicle is nearly perfect. If I could get this replaced by Infiniti it would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
I apologize for my late response to your post:

Have the passenger airbag and full dash cover ever been replaced by Infiniti on your FX?

I'm asking because it's my understanding that if they haven't, they should be.

Infiniti uses your VIN to determine if its eligible by year and model. If it is, they do it for free.

Admittedly you may have to call a few dealerships to get them to admit they need to replace the dash cover too, but you have leverage.

1 You could just tell them you called Infiniti Customer Service and were told your FX was eligible.

2. You could actually calli, give the CSR your VIN #, get the reps first name, last initial and Call Ref#. Then request a Confirmation of Contact email from them detailing the subject and information they gave you. Forward it to email of the service manager at the dealership as proof of your FX's eligibility for a free dash cover replacement.

* I wouldn't let them stall me because the airbag is NTSA safety issue. Neither would I give up unless Infiniti has previously replaced it under the recall.

Go Get Em!

#9 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum but I have 2 FX35s; 2007 & 2008. Both have the dashboard completely cracked; they started cracking over a year ago. They have recently informed me that the passanger airbags have a recall but they can't replace the dash because there is no recall on that. Does anyone know how to go about to get this done. I've looked into replacing them myself but they are so expensive and having 2 of these is even more expensive. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you

#10 ·
Depending on your area there may be a class action lawsuit in the works for this but you'll have to research this yourself.

Otherwise, you have a few choices:

1. Replace at the dealer for big bucks. Up here in Canada it's going to cost about $3000-$3500 Cdn.
2. Replace it yourself. It is a long process to remove the dash so this is not for the faint hearted. The part is about $2000 Cdn. You'll need the "interior and exterior" service manual.
3. Cover it with a carpet style dash covering. There are a few designed for our vehicles.
4. Cover it with a plastic covering. There is a company called "Coverlay" that makes one of these.

3 and 4 are not the greatest to look at but look better than a "blistered" dash.

#12 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Infiniti FX35. There is no bubbling going on the Dash but it has indeed begun to crack all around the softer side of the dash along with the glove box. I'll post later what the Infiniti Dealer says. I'm going to reach out to them later today.

The vehicle has 303,000 miles with the original engine. Replacements include,
1. Rear Left Side Wheel bearings
2. Condenser Air Conditioner along with the compressor.
3. Catalytic Converter (Driver's Side)

Engine Running strong on full synthetic and always topped off. I check it regularly.

#13 · (Edited)
I have an fx35 2005. And all of a sudden the dashboard has cracks all across from around the steering wheel to the vents on left side to the right side. Went to an upholstered shop and was told it is a manufactured default in the making of the car. Has anyone else have this problem? Has there been a recall ?

Speed Test
I believe there are a couple out there still. Infiniti extended the warranty to 10 years and unlimited mileage.