Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 03 FX45 about a week ago, and much to my dismay I have discovered the cruise control is capped at a silly 90MPH. It's even in the manual. While this is fine in something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which they DO cap at this speed), it seems illogical in a vehicle of this design. I have had loaners from Lexus, the RX330, and I do NOT recall any ~90MPH cruise control cap. VERY disappointed in this finding. :evil:

Someone, PLEASE tell me there is a way to get this removed... :cry:

I have posted this on freshalloy as well and gotten several fairly unhelpful responses, so hopefully this will be a bit more fruitful. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
I found this a bit odd as well but there aren't many places where you can cruise at 90mph. Maybe highway 5 but cruising at 90mph is not very practical.
On a side note my 98 accord coupe didn't have a cruise control limit. Go figure :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mushutofu said:
I found this a bit odd as well but there aren't many places where you can cruise at 90mph. Maybe highway 5 but cruising at 90mph is not very practical.
On a side note my 98 accord coupe didn't have a cruise control limit. Go figure :roll:
Yeah, my 2002 GS300 had no limit, as most foreign cars don't. The 2004 Lexus RX330 had no limit as far as I recall, either. Seems bizarre that Infiniti did this, and I know there has to be a way around it. Does anyone know if the same limit exists in the G35 et al?

Also, couldn't this be exported to germany, etc, where these speeds "are legal" to cruise at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
skitzo said:
Also, couldn't this be exported to germany, etc, where these speeds "are legal" to cruise at?
If you're only cruising at 90 on the autobahn, please keep to the right to avoid impeding traffic. 8) That said, in the six years that I lived there, I never felt the need or desire to use cruise. The country is only the size of a medium sized state, so it never really took long to get somewhere. And, I don't believe that Infiniti is offering the FX in Europe at this time.

Although I see the 90mph limit as an arbitrary figure, I really can't imagine where you would want to use it above that speed...and I've done more than my share of triple digit driving. I'm just guessing that they did it at the insistance of some attorney, just like making us hit the **** button on the nav every time we start up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FromHereToInfiniti said:
skitzo said:
Also, couldn't this be exported to germany, etc, where these speeds "are legal" to cruise at?
If you're only cruising at 90 on the autobahn, please keep to the right to avoid impeding traffic. 8) That said, in the six years that I lived there, I never felt the need or desire to use cruise. The country is only the size of a medium sized state, so it never really took long to get somewhere. And, I don't believe that Infiniti is offering the FX in Europe at this time.

Although I see the 90mph limit as an arbitrary figure, I really can't imagine where you would want to use it above that speed...and I've done more than my share of triple digit driving. I'm just guessing that they did it at the insistance of some attorney, just like making us hit the **** button on the nav every time we start up.
I'm starting to wonder if I truly am the only one who has ever asked/cared about this or not, it is starting to seem so. I routinely make a 300+ mile trip 2x a week. I have become accustomed to driving at a flat 95-100MPH w/ cruise on for 90% pf the trip, well, at least I did in my GS. I travel late at night when the (lack) of traffic patterns permit such speeds... I am finding the 90MPH limit in the FX very distressing, to the point where I'm already considering selling the vehicle due to it. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
I manage to hit triple digits every day, and went to Lo$t Wage$ doing no less than 110 wherever I could- but I'd never use cruise-control at those speeds. Never. This is on you, dude- you're the only one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,609 Posts
kcrudup said:
I manage to hit triple digits every day, and went to Lo$t Wage$ doing no less than 110 wherever I could- but I'd never use cruise-control at those speeds. Never. This is on you, dude- you're the only one.
You really should make a movie of that and post it here. :shock: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
skitzo said:
I'm starting to wonder if I truly am the only one who has ever asked/cared about this or not, it is starting to seem so. I routinely make a 300+ mile trip 2x a week. I have become accustomed to driving at a flat 95-100MPH w/ cruise on for 90% pf the trip, well, at least I did in my GS. I travel late at night when the (lack) of traffic patterns permit such speeds... I am finding the 90MPH limit in the FX very distressing, to the point where I'm already considering selling the vehicle due to it. :cry:

Wow... this is at least the second complaint about the FX cruise control system that I've read. The first was about lack of cruise control function while in manual shift mode with ICC; now a complaint about no auto-cruise above 90 mph.

Here's my take on it, and I'm not being judgemental (everyone has different abilities and limitations)... but in my opinion, cruise control (ICC moreso) is meant for those times when you'd rather be sharing your driving attention with another task, such as scanning a CD, changing the radio station, topping off a cup of coffee, arguing with the wife, etc, or just need to give your foot or leg a rest. For me, when I'm doing in excess of 90 mph, I want MY right foot to be in complete control of the stop and go pedals, and all my attention focused on the task of actively being the driver of my FX. These cars are absolute marvels of electronic and mechanical engineering, but there is a point where the auto systems are best turned off and seat of the pants driving is desireable. I guess somene at Infiniti thinks that point is 90 mph. For me, that doesn't seem out of line at all, considering the general road surface conditions in my area, and the abundance of lousy drivers on any of our roads.... I'd rather be restricted to manually *driving* my FX at 120 mph or more any day or night than letting the cruise control in a Lexus RX330 do it for me at any speed!

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I have to agree with RSSFX on this. When I'm traveling at those speeds I want to be in complete control.

After all, this is a "Sports" vehicle. I want to enjoy the feel of driving it, not have the car do everything for me.

Once again, this is just my opinion. If you are really considering selling your car over this issue, I'm sure there is an electronics person somewhere who knows how to override this limit. Keep searching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RSSFX said:
Wow... this is at least the second complaint about the FX cruise control system that I've read. The first was about lack of cruise control function while in manual shift mode with ICC; now a complaint about no auto-cruise above 90 mph.

Here's my take on it, and I'm not being judgemental (everyone has different abilities and limitations)... but in my opinion, cruise control (ICC moreso) is meant for those times when you'd rather be sharing your driving attention with another task, such as scanning a CD, changing the radio station, topping off a cup of coffee, arguing with the wife, etc, or just need to give your foot or leg a rest. For me, when I'm doing in excess of 90 mph, I want MY right foot to be in complete control of the stop and go pedals, and all my attention focused on the task of actively being the driver of my FX. These cars are absolute marvels of electronic and mechanical engineering, but there is a point where the auto systems are best turned off and seat of the pants driving is desireable. I guess somene at Infiniti thinks that point is 90 mph. For me, that doesn't seem out of line at all, considering the general road surface conditions in my area, and the abundance of lousy drivers on any of our roads.... I'd rather be restricted to manually *driving* my FX at 120 mph or more any day or night than letting the cruise control in a Lexus RX330 do it for me at any speed!

Ron

Ron,

Just for the record - I dont set the cruise to 100 and sit indian style in the seat; I DO do it (as you speculated above) to give my foot a rest, I have personally found the position of the gas petal to be somewhat uncomfortable after long periods of time - not sure why, but I can't seem to find an ideal position from the seat for it. In the meantime, when I do cruise at speeds of 100+, I can more than assure you I am doing ANYTHIng but directing my attention "elsewhere" - foot is either hovering over the gas pedal (or more likely, the brake pedal) and my eyes are on the road...
And, once again, I have NO desire to get the 90mph limit removed from the ICC - just the normal CC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
particlefx said:
kcrudup said:
I manage to hit triple digits every day, and went to Lo$t Wage$ doing no less than 110 wherever I could- but I'd never use cruise-control at those speeds. Never. This is on you, dude- you're the only one.
You really should make a movie of that and post it here. :shock: :D
Of what? the triple digits in general, or?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
particlefx said:
kcrudup has posted many times about his daily driving adventures around LA. My comment was directed at him to someday make a movie of his high-speed romp thru lane-blocker alley and share it with us.
Ah - sorry, trying to get in context here..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
skitzo said:
Ron,

Just for the record - I dont set the cruise to 100 and sit indian style in the seat; I DO do it (as you speculated above) to give my foot a rest, I have personally found the position of the gas petal to be somewhat uncomfortable after long periods of time - not sure why, but I can't seem to find an ideal position from the seat for it. In the meantime, when I do cruise at speeds of 100+, I can more than assure you I am doing ANYTHIng but directing my attention "elsewhere" - foot is either hovering over the gas pedal (or more likely, the brake pedal) and my eyes are on the road...
And, once again, I have NO desire to get the 90mph limit removed from the ICC - just the normal CC.
This morning on the way to work, I had to try to set the cruise above 90 mph. As they say, negative function in either ICC or normal cruise mode. Now, although I personally didn't feel very comfortable with the cruise set even as low as 90 mph, as I thought about it more, I did find it a bit irritating that some corporate legal department gets to make this decision for me. I hope you can find a firmware update, or some other easy fix to remove or change this limit, since you obviously are driving as safely as possible at these speeds. It would be a shame if you had to get rid of your FX because of this "feature".

My previous vehicle, a Ford F-350 Super Duty pickup had the absolute top speed governed at 92 mph! But that was a 4 X 4 one ton pickup truck with good old live axle/leaf spring suspension front and rear, and probably wasn't considered very stable at anything near triple digit speeds. It would comfortably pull right up past 90 mph, then just start chugging and missing as the ignition was shut down by the big brother computer.

Ron
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
My '94 Blazer is governed at 95mph.

These are the Mods we have done on it: Powertube, Chip, Glass-pack, K&N, TBI Spacer, Thottle Body Expander and it still only goes 95.

It wants to go faster, but the computer pretty much shuts down the whole car. Now that feels un-safe, compared to driveing it over 100. The computer over-rides the gas pedel and sucks it to the floor and the whole truck down shifts to what feels like second.

Why they make goverens so low on some, boggles the mind. I have tried to pass semi's (which you need to get some speed) and then the govener kicks in and it will almost cause an accident, now that is safe :roll: . I hate Big Brother so much. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
particlefx said:
kcrudup has posted many times about his daily driving adventures around LA. My comment was directed at him to someday make a movie of his high-speed romp thru lane-blocker alley and share it with us.
I've had folks in rec.autos.driving ask the same thing. I have a digital camera that also takes .AVI files, and a 64-MB SD card that could hold about 25 mins of video, and would love to make a movie one day- but the time I tried it, the tripod kept falling over due to my acceleration and cornering, and it was a big pain in the ass.

As soon as I can find a way to secure the **** thing, I'll do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet Fx said:
My '94 Blazer is governed at 95mph.

These are the Mods we have done on it: Powertube, Chip, Glass-pack, K&N, TBI Spacer, Thottle Body Expander and it still only goes 95.

It wants to go faster, but the computer pretty much shuts down the whole car. Now that feels un-safe, compared to driveing it over 100. The computer over-rides the gas pedel and sucks it to the floor and the whole truck down shifts to what feels like second.

Why they make goverens so low on some, boggles the mind. I have tried to pass semi's (which you need to get some speed) and then the govener kicks in and it will almost cause an accident, now that is safe :roll: . I hate Big Brother so much. :evil:
I think this is some american car/truck limit thing - because this in specific is ANYTHING but uncommon.. I know most(all?) new american trucks are governed around the 95-110MPH mark.. :twisted: But yeah, i know what you're talking about re: safety, a friend had an F-150 that acted similarly.. if you went over ~95 I think it would completely stop feeding gas to the engine for a moment until it slowed down (or you stopped trying).
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top