Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a teaser...:p Numbers coming soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Since they'll be no engine cover, the NITI Logo on the plenum looks sweet. - heat may be an issue :( Lots of pics. too - let's see alot of underhood close-up shots of EVERYONE'S clean, modded, STB'd engine bays. ~ SMILE :D All the best on your completed "breathe in" install.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
GO GEO!!!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PINITI-FX said:
Since they'll be no engine cover, the NITI Logo on the plenum looks sweet. - heat may be an issue :(
brnjugfx45 said:
GO GEO!!!
Thanks y'all. I'm thinking a "high-temperature" clearcoat sprayed over the the logo should do the trick in keeping that logo on.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What causes the plenum to get hot? ...circulating air from under plenum (air only-right?) or engine bay heat, or both, or is this a stoopid ? :? GO GEO GO!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The heat of the motor{metal) will transfer to everything it is in contact with(including transferring to the air in the manifold and plenum).Then you have the heat coming off the headers which cooks underhod everything.So everything gets hotter unless you have airflow under there-speed.But sitting in traffic,it all gets hot!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the completed plenum install. Couldn't take any detailed pics of the install so rfer to the plenum install write-up in the How-To sections. :(

Anyway, the logo is still sitting there firmly after a 45 minute drive home...:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gtech Results!!!

0-60 Gtech results were done before and after plenum install on MGFR's drag strip near his house. Ambient temperature was 89 degrees with a 88% relative humidity (weather.com). VDC and AC off. Launch from a dead stop in auto mode (unless otherwise stated)

Pre-plenum install runs:

Avg (after taking out highest and lowest) = 7.43 secs

Post-plenum install runs:

Avg (after taking out highest and lowest) = 7.30secs

Conclusions:

After the plenum install, 0-60 times were reduced on an average of 0.13 secs. I noticed that the engine had a lot more pull at higher rpms with the plenum vs. stock. Also, I felt that the ECU hasn't fully compensated for the mod yet as I did additional runs in manual mode showing good times (7.20, 7.24). It'll be interesting to see the times after a week of break-in (will need similar weather conditions to make a meaningful comparison). With my results from the Stillen CAI/Ztube install (see earlier threads), I can confidently say the CAI/Ztube/Plenum combo will give at least 0.20 secs faster times, maybe more under Manual mode testing. Also I don't know if the ECU has fully adjusted to the plenum yet.

CrawfordZ has peviously stated that most of the performance gains will occur at the higher RPM ranges (> 5K) and I believe them. As to whether this performance increase will translate to noticeable increased performance in day-to-day driving is debatable (unless you constantly drive at RPMs over 5K).

Thanks to MGFR for the help on the install and use of the Gtech meter. 8)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but ****, $400 for about a tenth of a second improvement.

You guys really need to hit the track to see what kind of traps your cars pull. Hopefully, a stock 35 will be testing too for and idea of what the baseline is.

·
Registered
662 Posts
How's the sound? Better?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
mhgsx,your post brought a smile and a thought.I am not real thrilled with the availability of parts,their price or packaging.Geofx has done parts that are all proven,the gains are all top end and therefore everyother addition should build on that base.

Where are the CAI,plenum,cat,exhaust packages that yields 0.5 or more for$1000 or whatever.Get the parts that work for a nice discount and all the parts compliement each other.STB and Eibachs for a deal.Forget brand loyalty,if someone else makes a similar part and gains the same performance go there

In climates like Texas you can race all year and go to the track for testing(no drinks,but lots to learn)

We should all be upset over costs as you were...what I have in my trans is silly,but it works...and it better for those $

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mhgsx said:
Maybe it's just me, but ****, $400 for about a tenth of a second improvement.

You guys really need to hit the track to see what kind of traps your cars pull. Hopefully, a stock 35 will be testing too for and idea of what the baseline is.
At least it wasn't slower...:p Yeah I was expecting more.

Ya know...the stated gains that people seem to get from all these mods never seem to involve entering the weather conditions as one of them. Running a 7.0 sec 0-60 time in 90 degree weather and 80% humidity and then getting hyped up about a 6.5 sec 0-60 time after a "mod" in 60 degree weather and 40% humidity is plain wrong. Expecting the same kind of performance gains based on someone's subjective observations half-way across the country is very risky (unless it's a dyno - even then...). To do an adequate test before and after installing a mod people need to make sure that the test conditions (weather, road, etc.) are the same (or at the very least, similar). Otherwise it's very misleading to the uninformed out there.

I applaud our HFXA group for being one of the very, very few who have actually taken the time to measure A/B comparison tests with different mods and post them here- no matter how disappointing they may be.

I agree that we need a track day to do comparisons - perhaps this Friday when temps will fall into the 60s at night? :) Stock FX35s (RWD and AWD) around here are getting fewer and fewer...:p

FWIW - I'm gonna keep the Crawford. Sounds nice and I do feel more pull on top. Maybe not reflected in 0-60 times but am gonna give it mo' time for the ECU to adjust hopefully and 1/4 testing. :)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I added the plenum it really seemed to pull all of my mods together.

When I pulled her out of the garage and stepped on it, it was like ****....there's my power. :D

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I am really thinking about the crawford, see if it will help with my exhaust and headers, but not sure when APS is going to release theirs.

Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
Jim,

I asked the APS guys at SEMA and do not expect the Tall Boy until Spring '05.

BTW, since you changed the headers and exhaust, what have you done with the CATS?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I have not done anything with the cat yet, afraid it might get way too loud of exhaust note.

Anyone else done the cats, how does it feel.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts