Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doorbell rang an hour ago .. it's my neighbor. Her son has backed into my car. :shock:

Looks like he hit the drivers' door square, so if I'm (they) are lucky, the only repair job will be on the door.

I can open/close the door .. but I think it might have a small hitch in it, which would mean the hinges may be mis-aligned, though.

Unfortunately, we don't have a garage and have only a single lane driveway, so I must park on the street every so often to get my wife's car out. What pisses me off is that now I have to fear some 16 year old ramming my car right in front of my own house. :cussing:

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear that duncantuna. Let's hope the door is the only thing that will need fixing/replacement. :cry:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
****, that's enough to make you sick. Hopefully it is a quick fix.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the well wishes. I think I did a pretty good job not going ape **** on them. Both of them were very sorry. Decent neighbors, albeit a bit religious.

I think once they get/pay the bill, I'll tack on an additional requirement, that the boy hand write "THOU SHALT NOT BACK INTO THY NEIGHBOR'S CAR" 1000 times. :twisted:

·
Registered
509 Posts
ShadyJC said:
KID DRIVERS NOT PAYING ATTENTION are the most dangerous things on the road!
ShadyJC is absolutely correct. That hurts to look at. Sorry for your misfortune. It reminds me that both of my kids (girl and boy) had car accidents (their fault) when they were 16. Fortunately they were minor and no injuries. It got their attention and I hope it made them better drivers. The daughter turns 21 in March with no more incidents.

I waited until I was 18 to rear-end a Cadillac with my brand new Plymoth Duster. Steel chrome bumpers saved the day. Todays cars can't take much abuse. 8)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Required age...

In my opinion, much of the problem is on the driving schools and driving requirements. I know from a fact that in Germany you need to be 18 to drive, and the actual road test is very long, involving AutoBahn driving, city driving, and rural driving. It is also more expensive to get you license. When I took my driving test it didn't last more than 10 minutes, and it was basically just a lap around the block. And my driving school was a joke...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
ShadyJC said:
ShadyJC is absolutely correct.
Actually any driver not paying attention is the most dangerous thing on the road.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
duncantuna said:
Thanks for the well wishes. I think I did a pretty good job not going ape **** on them. Both of them were very sorry. Decent neighbors, albeit a bit religious.
Sounds like they are going to do the right thing and take full responsibility w/o a hassle. Where I live it is against deed restrictions to park on the street. Accidents happen (even to the best of drivers); let him who is without traffic incidents (accidents, citations, tickets, etc) cast the first "pencils" 8)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
religious? Advantage > duncantuna

Bring out the bible and ruler. It's time for a good ol smitin! :)

duncantuna said:

I think once they get/pay the bill, I'll tack on an additional requirement, that the boy hand write "THOU SHALT NOT BACK INTO THY NEIGHBOR'S CAR" 1000 times. :twisted:

·
Registered
662 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
Silver Bullet said:
ShadyJC said:
Actually any driver not paying attention is the most dangerous thing on the road.
Actually, one time when I was backing out of my garage, I ran into the cleaning lady's car. :oops: I was in real hurry...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
She must have been pissed when you told her to clean up the mess on the driveway :lol:

topguy said:
msu79gt82 said:
Silver Bullet said:
ShadyJC said:
Actually, one time when I was backing out of my garage, I ran into the cleaning lady's car. :oops: I was in real hurry...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
msu79gt82 said:
Sounds like they are going to do the right thing and take full responsibility w/o a hassle. Where I live it is against deed restrictions to park on the street. Accidents happen (even to the best of drivers); let him who is without traffic incidents (accidents, citations, tickets, etc) cast the first "pencils" 8)
.. Well, the other stupid thing about this is that my wife warned me that this would happen. We've had a good two feet of snow over the past 10 days, and the streets are narrower with high snowbanks. She said she saw our neighbors maneuvering to get into their driveway and was concerned for my car.

So .. about an hour before the accident, I parked in front of my house, ironically, so my wife would take her own car to a semi-dangerous part of town (for cars). The thought actually went through my head about the neighbors backing into my car, so I made extra sure I ran the FX up on the snow, right up next to the curb.

Fat lot of good that did me!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry for your situation bro. Hope it repairs well and fast.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
duncantuna said:
.. Well, the other stupid thing about this is that my wife warned me that this would happen. We've had a good two feet of snow over the past 10 days, and the streets are narrower with high snowbanks. She said she saw our neighbors maneuvering to get into their driveway and was concerned for my car.
Oh wow; what's the worse pain? The FX can be fixed - the wife's "I told you so" could go on for a while :shock: :oops:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Naw, she won't do the I-told-you-so routine .. I mean, I parked my car out in front of my own house. Did she expect I wouldn't ever do that horrible faux pas again?

Anyhow .. just got back from the body shop. Any guesses? I'll post the estimate

down

here

Did you guess?

$1,600 big ones. The costly part is actually the pearlized paint. They are replacing only the door "skin" for $300, plus the lower body molding strip for $90. The remaining $1200 is for labor, but a lot of it is paint .. he said pearlized paint takes 3x as long. And, it's a 3-4 day repair. All that for a 3-5 mph hit. And they're booked for the next two weeks. :?

·
Registered
32 Posts
duncantuna said:
Naw, she won't do the I-told-you-so routine .. I mean, I parked my car out in front of my own house. Did she expect I wouldn't ever do that horrible faux pas again?

Anyhow .. just got back from the body shop. Any guesses? I'll post the estimate
My estimate was actually $4,500. Glad to see I was so far off. I got hit by a shopping cart a couple of years ago, and even though the damage was less than yours, It cost about $4,500 to replace the door (on a 328i). A SHOPPING CART for Pete's sake. And in case you're wondering, no I didn't pay the $4,500 out of my own pocket. My insurance paid for it. And no points either, because it wasn't my fault.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, got my precious back yesterday. My body shop guys are really good. The repair looks flawless, but they clean the exterior extremely well .. looks showroom ready. Gave me some touch up paint for anything that happens in the future. Plus a dozen melty chocolate chip cookies.

Boy, I tell you, driving without the FX for the week, renting a craptacular Sebring .. makes you really remember how cool this car is. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Glad that Precious is back in shape, give her a Pinstriping Present 8)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.