Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought 2007 fx35 awd 3 months ago and last 2 months car has been in my garage. Here is short story....one day I was just sitting in the car at idle and car just died, restarted fine. Installed new battery 2 weeks later I drove over tracks and car stalled out on me....would crank but did not start, I think I hit fuel tank and it started, drove home and shut it off and will not restart. I looked at forums and figured I order fuel pump from amazon and camshaft sensors, replaced all and still just cranks but no start :( now from time to time I try to wiggle wires or tap gas tank and it starts, not sure if it has anything to do with me hitting tank or move wires cause most of time doesnt do anything it just cranks. When I am able to start it and rev up it dies...I saw big craks in rubber boot by thottle body and siliconed it but now I am just lost....one thing I did notice is that when I put key in ignition in on position the fuel pump does not energize, and sometimes when it does the car starts and stays running for a little or dies right away. Is there maybe fuel filter? Any help guys? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
defective fuel pump, connector at pump is bad sounds like to me, Autozone pumps are cheap but not the best quality try replacing it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, today was my last day on amazon to return pump. I will try again. Its just at some times fuel pump turns on but mostly nothing, no noise from pump when I turn the key ON.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got new fuel pump but I am not installing it cause I need to make sure they return miney for first one :) here is my concern, I hit fuel gauge connected by fuel pump and there is 0psi. Where is the fuel pump relay located? I found relays by battery but no cover to tell you fuel pump relay

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same Issue - Crank but Not Starting

Warhead - you say you replaced a fuel pump relay. Where is it? I hope that it isn't near the gas tank because of the weather we're having right now.

I have a 2007 FX35 with 138,000 miles. Regular scheduled maintenance has been performed. All of the spark plugs were replaced 1 year ago. I moved it around in the driveway on Monday evening March 13 before the major storm was supposed to hit the East Coast on March 14. On March 14 I got in the car and it would not start. I don't seem to have any security lights on. The car just seems like it isn't getting any gas. I tried to start the car with both Intelligent Key Fobs and with the actual key inside the fobs. The engine acts like it wants to start but it never does. I've put the battery on a charger because of trying to start the car so many times in the last 2 days. I've tried to jump start it from a portable jump starter and from a full size Chevy Silverado with a 165 AMP alternator. Still nothing. I don't think that I have a battery or a starter problem. It's either a fuel pump problem or some electrical issue.

One thing that I don't think that I ever noticed before - should the steering wheel be locked when the ignition is OFF? I can turn the steering wheel. Not very far because the car isn't moving but the wheels are turning left and right with the ignition OFF. Is there some interlock in the steering column that has failed so the car won't start?

The temperature has been below 25 degrees F for the last couple of days. I've read that 2003 to 2006 FX35's have had a problem with the Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM) that is behind the battery. Could this IPDM be a problem in cold weather for a 2007 FX35? Because of the temperatures, I have not wanted to remove all of the plastic that surrounds the battery to get back there. I made a little diagram of a fuse panel that was behind the battery a few years ago when my fog lights weren't working. There is a 15A fuse that I've labeled "FUEL PUMP". That isn't a relay but I suppose that it could be blown.

I suppose that the filter on the fuel pump may be plugged but that is on the pump and inside the tank. I am not sure if I am hearing the fuel pump cycle when I turn the ignition to the ON position.

Sorry if I'm all over the place on this post. I've afraid that I'll have to have it towed to an Infiniti dealership and that will cost me an arm and a leg once they dive into diagnostics and parts at full retail prices. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been reading about others with this Crank & No Start issue. What is an "A/C amp meter" that some have suggested should be checked? Where is it? I've always started my car with the A/C off if that matters.

Just in case, I've waited several hours between attempts to start the car in case there was a chance of it being "flooded".

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
This is the first that I've heard it was a problem with the fuel pump. Usually it's the crank shaft sensors or the "A/C AMP meter" that you mentioned. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have anything to do with the A/C but the electrical system in the car. I'd have to read the full thread again, but since you're getting power to the crank, I don't think it's that. Don't bother taking your car to the dealership. They usually have NO idea what's going on but will charge you an arm and a leg. Try looking around for a local mechanic that has a good reputation... Preferably someone that's worked on a lot of NISSAN's before. That'll be a better bet for you. The base version of these VQ engines have been used in the ALTIMA's, MAXIMA's and the Z's so anyone that's worked on NISSAN's before will know them quite well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since the car is cranking and has acted like it might start a couple of times, I guess that I could get some MAF spray cleaner and see what happens. There has got to be a throttle position sensor - right? What if that has gone bad? I'm hoping for weather that is in the low 40's this weekend so that I can do something on the car without freezing my fingers off.

I've read that there are some components related to the fuel pump that should be under the back seat. What will I find there if I remove the lower cushion of the back seat?

I have searched for independent service centers for Nissan and Infiniti and there isn't much to pick from in and around Pittsburgh, PA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A few years ago, I bought the factory service manual for this car on CD from someone on eBay. I'm going to have to find it. I need to follow some defined process or I'm just going in circles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can someone with more than 15 posts send a PM to warhead asking him/her to post where to find the fuel pump relay?

I only have 11 posts so I'm prevented from contacting anyone directly. Sorry but when you are stranded, this rule is annoying.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would spraying a starter fluid or Gumout into the air intake do anything for helping to start a fuel injected engine and not ruin the MAF. I figured that I would ask first before creating another problem.

BTW - the Chevy truck that I used to try to jump start the FX35 yesterday now has the same crank and no start problem!!!!

There is some storm cloud hanging over my head right now!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had Air Bags Replaced under Recall

At the end of January, my car was finally taken in for the Takata air bag recall. Since they had to take apart my dashboard to replace the passenger side air bag, is it possible that they unplugged something that wasn't plugged back in completely and it took 1.5 months to show itself?

Grasping for anything at this point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Fingers are Crossed

This may be a bit hard to believe. It warmed up to 35 deg F air temperature plus a clear sky so stuff is melting like crazy. At 3:30 PM, the car kicked over. It sputtered for 2 seconds and then ran smoothly.

I have a friend that is a mechanic and he was able to come over at 3:30 PM on what he said was his "lunch break". He plugged in his expensive scan tool and entered the year, make, model, and engine in the car. He scrolled through several screens of data with the ignition turned on. He proclaimed there to be nothing wrong with the car so he turned the key to check the starter & cranking data and it started on the first try.

He asked me what has been going on since the car was running last and I explained all of what I have written thus far. His idea is that the car wasn't running long enough when my wife moved it over on Monday night so I could get the snowblower out and condensation formed and then froze as the air temperature dropped. When I replaced the spark plugs a little over 1 year ago, I didn't replace any of the stems and boots on the coils. He thinks that the rubber boots have micro cracks that allowed moisture to get in around all of the plugs and it froze. Then she ground down the battery on Tuesday and also flooded the engine. I didn't think that it was possible for a fuel injected engine to be flooded but he said that every time that the ignition was turned on, fuel was shot into the cylinders and not burned. Then on Wednesday, I tried to start the car and it was only about 15 deg F. Still frozen, the car almost started at about 5:30 PM on Wednesday but then I flooded it again. The best thing that happened today was that the temperature warmed up to above freezing and I didn't try to start the car all day while ingwas checking the internet and also trying to get my truck started (which by the way does have a fried fuel pump because there is absolutely no fuel pressure at the fuel rails). So my friend suggested that I replace all of the stems and boots on the 6 coils. I'm thinking that perhaps after 10 years and 138,000 miles, if I'm in there, I'm going to also replace all 6 coils. They won't last forever - right? I just ordered 6 new coils from Advance Auto at a grand total of $359. They will be ready for pickup after 2:30 PM tomorrow.

I've used the key and I've used the intelligent key fob to start the car. We'll see if it starts tomorrow morning so I can get to work and I'll know if we've made a proper diagnosis. I'm going to try to resist going outside to start it tonight so that I don't have a possible condensation-frost problem.

Thus, my fingers are crossed.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Glad you got it working! Could be the cold, but I'm pretty sure it gets colder in Canada, and I haven't had many issues. I've had LONG cranks and it finally turns over and runs with a rough idle for a few seconds while it splashes the oil around... But maybe it's because we're used to having FREEZING weather over here so we put more anti-freeze and whatever in our winter gas and whatnot...

Hope it's fixed and you won't need to worry about it anymore!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts