Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to consider having the Xetronic 8000K HID kit installed for my FX45 to get a perfect match and brilliance to my 8000K HID headlights.

I just spoke to HIDExpress and the kit is $379 (bulb/ballast/wiring) with a $20 gift card I have. Lawrence there stated that they have a shop that installs the kit for $30 which sounds extremely inexpensive for the labor, but then again it's just replacing a bulb and tapping-in the pre-wired ballast. San Gabriel is worth driving to in order to get this done here in Southern, CA..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I spoke to the guy that will do the install and it will be~$48 to install (not bad), but I plan on driving to their shop this week (Weds) and having this little project completed. They even have experience and a solution for my LED running lights on the SL55 AMG which will have 6000K HIDs later this week with HID fogs to follow should this turn out amazingly good.

I hope and expect the FX45 to look fantastic on this upgrade. 8000K HID headlights and fogs! Of course, I'll post pics for those interested!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True HIDs: Xetronic 8000K HID Headlights and Foglights.

Ta' da! A perfect match! The installation and the end product is surprisingly better than one would expect. Even coming from the PIAA Spark Blue 7500K bulbs, I couldn't imagine the bulbs being that much better from already upgraded bulbs.

Surprise! I'm completely happy and those foglights have a brilliance unmatched by anything I've ever seen on lights. The 8000K HID foglights are even more dazzling than the HID headlights because of the way the foglight reflectors are constructed. I'm doing the Xetronic 6000K HIDs AND Xetronic 6000K HID fogs on my SL55 AMG tomorrow as these surpass my expectations. I've jsut gone out for a ride and I've never seen the road/signs so far so wide. I think I need to adjust my foglights down a bit since they are so much stronger than any halogen bulbs I've used, yet noone has flashed me once. Enjoy the pics! Day pics first............

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...And here are the night pics which you are looking for! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I would recommend the 8000k setup if you get it for both the front head light and the fogs. My fellow FXr in Taipei has that setup and looks better than my 10k with 6k setup.

Jim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another question. Do you have to but with all the wiring and stuff ?? Don't you just have to buy the bulb because we already use HID in our car ?? Sorry newbie here, just got my 05 last week.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
mine said:
Another question. Do you have to but with all the wiring and stuff ?? Don't you just have to buy the bulb because we already use HID in our car ?? Sorry newbie here, just got my 05 last week.
Thanks in advance
Headlights are HID. This thread is about converting the fog lights to HID, where a full kit is involved.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine said:
Thanks in advance
Hey mine:

Yes, the HID bulb is just a direct replacement if you are going to 6000K/8000K HID. Be sure to pull the headlamp fuse or disconnect the negative on the battery as that is high-voltage.

For the 8000K foglights, the HID conversion kit is relatively easy to install and I had an Audio shop DJ's (as recommended by HIDExpress) do it for ~$48. I've replied to several pms on the install and just remembered that I didn't post here. There is no cutting or replacing of wires and the install is very clean. The kit is basically the HID bulbs, ballasts (kind of like a voltage transformer) and additional wiring harness which all taps to existing OEM electricals. The only thing in the engine compartment which indicates HID fogs are the ballast boxes secured high and dry (one on each side). I'll take pics of the engine bay/ballasts shortly for you.

Regarding the legality of 6000K/8000K HIDs in CA., I've sent an e-mail to HIDExpress in order to get a formal response from them. I see 6000K/8000K/10000K HIDs everywhere in LA. everyday. The 6000K in my opinion are the classiest and most conservative overall. On the MB reflectors they look really nice and not drastically different from stock on the streets unless you compare them side by side. In that case the OEM 4300K HIDs look yellow and not as brilliant. 8000K is flashier though you see 3x as wide and as far just like if you had your OEM HID high-beams on (highway). I've had not one single person lift their rear-view mirrors with me behind them (even on compacts) nor flash me on the streets.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am a bit confused here, so if you want to just change the headlight. You just buy the bulb and change it. So the high beam stay OEM right ?

Second, if I want to change my foglight to maybe like yours, I have to buy all the wiring and balast stuff right ?

How much do you spend just changing the bulbs ??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Headlights are Bi-Xenon. Single bulbs produces high and low beam, only reflector inside housing moves to switch. You can simply replace the fog bulbs with any 9006 halogrn bulb of your color choice, but you need the full kit if you want to convert them to HID. Bulb swaps are basically for the "cool factor". Stock HIDs will give you the best visibility. Browse this section of the forum and you'll find all kinds of info on bulb colors, swaps, etc.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine said:
I am a bit confused here, so if you want to just change the headlight. You just buy the bulb and change it. So the high beam stay OEM right ?

Second, if I want to change my foglight to maybe like yours, I have to buy all the wiring and balast stuff right ?

How much do you spend just changing the bulbs ??

Thanks
mine:

As stated, the HID foglights conversion from the OEM halogen foglights requires a HID kit (includes HID bulb, ballasts and wiring harnesses). Seriously, do a quick search to read more on this. Also, as MustGoFastR pointed out, the HID bulb acts as both high/low beam HID (Bi-Xenon) as a reflector tilts the light output up higher. You'll see it on the stock HID with someone's help switching low to high beam.

My experience is that the 6000 Kelvin temperature offers the best visibility as this temp offers the cleanest light, and best approximation to "direct sunlight at noon" vs. OEM 4300K. Interestingly, If you search the Internet, most technical sites state that 5300-5600K best approximates white "natural daylight" which coincides with choosing 6000K over 4300K OEM. 6000K is closer. You see, sunlight is actually "white" which when passed through a prism, produces a full spectrum of all basic, visible colors which the human eye can see. In other words, the human perception of "white" is a mixture of all colors (red through violet).

The color of 6000K is a "cooler" tone (bluish-white) while 4300K is more "neutral" (yellowish-white). Natural daylight @ 5300-5600K is close to bluish/aqua white. Lumens do decrease as the color changes from aqua-white ~5500K to aqua 6500K to blue 8000K to violet-blue 10000K then violet 12000K based on progressively shorter wavelengths up the color spectrum. Different magnitudes of "white" will be present in differnt temperatures (color). You'll really notice the effect of shorter wavelength colors and their respective visibility in rain/fog.

Here's some general Kelvin color scale vs. daylight approximation and some info on HIDs:
http://www.hidexpress.com/index.asp?Pag ... ustom&ID=5

Also, color vs. wavelength chart and explanation:
http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wave ... olors.html

In regards to lumen (brightness output):

A "Lumen is a measurement of light output. One Lumen is equal to the light emitted by one candle that falls on one square foot of surface located one foot away from the candle." -quoted in laymen terms.

Search the 'Net, and I'm sure you'll find more information on light output (lumens). I definitely have better visibility overall with the 8000K 35W HID fogs (less power) as they beat the stock 55W halogens by more than 3x the lumen output, not to mention the higher quality of light. There are other factors which make 6000K appear to be much brighter than stock 4300K just as 8000K is to 4300K even though they produce less "lumens." Does a difference of say 500 Lumens break a threshold of human perception at say 20 ft vs 1ft for 1 Lumen? One would think so, but I know for a fact that I see much wider and farther with 6000K/8000K than with 4300K. Other's have stated the same. I need to do more research and ask more questions of "WHY" as "color" and "brightness" are human perceptions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
WowWWWwww. Thanks a lot for the very detailed discription of how the light works. Well, now I understand so maybe the 8000k is the better decision ? with the 8000k foglight like yours Ru ?? So I just need to buy the 8000k bulb from hidexpress and the wiring and stuff for the foglight right ?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Mine

I bought the hole HID kit for 9006 and I think it would be a little easier than gettting all the parts seperately.

my 2 cent.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Mine

You are correct.

Jim

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine:

Take a look at the HIDExpress website for further clarification ( I listed it above). Only you can determine if 6000K or 8000K is best for you. Don't forget that the reflector housing changes the look/tone/color of the HIDs as well. 6000K is best for me. 8000K is noticeably blue. 10000K/12000K are completely obvious as aftermarket on the streets.

Additionally, I did receive a response from Lawrence @ HIDExpress.
"As for the 6000k/8000k/10000k HIDs. They are illegal. Within 2 years in the business of selling HID's, we've only had a couple of cases in which our customers getting a $10 fix-it ticket. So therefore all aftermarket HID's are illegal and are not DOT (Department of Transportation) approved. Only factory HID's are legal and DOT approved." - Lawrence @ HIDExpress

Here's an analogy. This is the same type of modification as going lower than the legal 30% (35% std availability) tint on vehicles. I have 20% tint on all of my vehicles and an officer could give me a fix-it ticket although I've never received one when pulled over or not.

At night, if I were to be pulled over, I just turn on all of my cabin lights and open both front windows completely. It's respect for an Officer's safety and visibility so Officers either don't question me about my tint or do not give me a ticket even if they know it's 20%. I've spoken to CHP & LAPD Officers face-to-face and they agree on my perspective would likely not give me a ticket for that. Besides, I give to the LA County Sheriff's & LAPD service funds. 8)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hmmm, should have learn that when I am driving my clk. I used to have 20% tint. And I got pulled over twice for just the tint. Lost 120 for each tiket. Damnnn.....

So btw Ru......Your car is using the 6000k headlight ? not the 8000k ?? the 8000k you are using is just for the foglight right ?

Sorry if I kept on asking the same Qs over and over again. Newbie here.

Btw Thanks everyone for the response.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have 6000K HID headlights on my SL55 AMG (figuring-out a solution soon for the 6000K HID foglights). On my FX45, I have 8000K HID headlights and foglights now. mine, start reading all of the valuable information on the searches and feel free to pm me. Read carefully, read my signature, look at the pics and the title of each thread! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts