Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if my 2008 FX35 is different from others, but this installation was NOT EASY :evil:
Everything went well except installing the 4 7/16 bolts in the aluminum bumper. There was NO WAY I could drill the inside bolt holes by flexing the rear fender--it would have damaged it :!exclaim:
Outer bolts were easy to drill and to install the bolt. The two inside bolts were another story.
My bumper had a screw with nut that attched the bumper to main frame, and a large styrofoam locating plug that interferred with installation of bolt :cry:
I had to take a hacksaw blade and saw the plugs before bolt install :cry: This was very difficult and time consuming. After removal of this interfeering styrofoam the bolts almost fell in.
I might add that my methoid of bolt installation was to cut a metal coat hanger--the correct length--and simply form a hook to go around the bolt. Hooked in a fashon that would allow wire to disconnect when bolt is located and wire is pushed forward. I simply pushed the rectangle washer into position with bolt. 8)

I might add that I was a certified Auto Mechanic before retirement and this type work was done frequently :wink:

The main purpose of my post is to find out if anyone else had this problem--maybe my Infinity is a little different :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daschlag said:
I'm considering getting a hitch, sounds like installation is $100 well spent.
Please don't misinterpret my post--Others may not have had the problem I did. But if I had it to do over, I would consider paying for installation. :oops:
I am sure others have installed the same type hitch without problems. :) Just trying to find out :?:

·
Registered
126 Posts
When i installed my non-hidden hitch from curtis, i had to drill holes in the aluminum bumper support. They supplied a wired which wraps around the bolt as you stated. All i had to do was loosin all the clips that holds the trim under the bumper and pull it back as i drilled. I fished in the bolts and the washers and tightened everything up.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I've heard of a few horror stories on hitch installs... mostly cause the bolt holes never line up properly... good thing I never plan on towing... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Haha, when I installed the OEM hitch on my FX35, I left out a bolt because I could not get the **** thing to go in no matter how much I tried.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
GJBenn85 said:
because I could not get the **** thing to go in no matter how much I tried.
Uhm... ... ... nvm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts