Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new FX35 for my wife and she wanted the Clear Bra added. The dealer had it done and I'm not sure if I should accept it or not. The car is black (I also own a black 1 ton Dodge PU so I know about the care and feeding of a black vehicle) and the bra has a couple small bubbles and ripples in it. Is this something I have to live with since the car is black. I would quess that it would not show up on a light colored car.

I'm a new member and I have to say this is a great site. Wish I had discovered it prior to my purchase. It would not have changed what I bought, but I would have been a little better informed. The FX is a great car. I might have to buy another so I can drive one once and a while.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Depends on how bad it is, but if you believe it's something you wouldn't see on a lighter car, you may just have to live with it and accept that it's better than the alternative. I had my hood re-done three times because of things like this, and finally gave up and accepted the fact that there's absolutely no way to get the stuff perfect on a black car. I have a couple small bubbles over toward one edge of my hood, but just live with it; it does it's job. Anyway, if you've watched them install the stuff, as I have, you'd know that it's a real crap shoot getting the stuff on perfect; lots of variables, so if you have it re-done, it may come out better and may be worse. If it were something major, I'd obviously want it re-done, but you really just have to make a judgement call on the little stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Welcome :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
silverback said:
I just bought a new FX35 for my wife and she wanted the Clear Bra added. The dealer had it done and I'm not sure if I should accept it or not. The car is black (I also own a black 1 ton Dodge PU so I know about the care and feeding of a black vehicle) and the bra has a couple small bubbles and ripples in it. Is this something I have to live with since the car is black. I would quess that it would not show up on a light colored car.

Thanks for the help.
Silverback,

Maybe I can help you out a bit. When did the kit get installed? the reason why I ask is that it takes up to 3 to 4 weeks for the product to cure out according to 3M. The bubbles need to work themselves out. The water and alcohol is still under the product and need to evaporate out from under the film. You do not want to rub or push on it. Let this happen naturally. If the product doesnt improve after four weeks. I would recommend taking it back to have it fixed and/replaced. God knows you paid a lot of money for the vehicle and I am sure since you are local to me the dealer charged an arm and a leg for to have it installed.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's appreciated.

RockBlocker,

The car is only a couple weeks old, so I guess I will wait and see what happens. It does appear that a couple of the bubbles are disappearing. I will hope for the best.

You are right about the dealer. It kind of sucks when you don't really have a choice of dealers. The only advantage I had is a good friend of mine works at the Nissan Corporate home office in LA and he was able to help me out a little on the price. As it was they still did take one leg and left me with both arms so I would be able to write the check for the car.

Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
you might also try taking a blowdryer to the clear bra.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts