Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some pics of my clear bra being applied and the final results. I had the bumper, leading edge of hood, around front marker lights, and bottom of rear doors done. It's very difficult to tell it's even there unless you get pretty close.

See this thread.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a few more...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
They didn't use a pre-cut kit? Man, I'd have been about to jump out of my skin, standing there watching them cut it by hand with a razor a fraction of an inch from my paint. :shock: Did they wrap the edges around the hood?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
404 Posts
Looks undetectable in the photos...nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MustGoFastR said:
They didn't use a pre-cut kit? Man, I'd have been about to jump out of my skin, standing there watching them cut it by hand with a razor a fraction of an inch from my paint. :shock: Did they wrap the edges around the hood?
It's all custom fit - the bumper is done in one piece. Wherever possible, the edges were wrapped, such as the hood, grille opening, etc. I'm not sure, but they may use a special blade that has a limited cutting depth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
PhilP69 said:
MustGoFastR said:
They didn't use a pre-cut kit? Man, I'd have been about to jump out of my skin, standing there watching them cut it by hand with a razor a fraction of an inch from my paint. :shock: Did they wrap the edges around the hood?
It's all custom fit - the bumper is done in one piece. Wherever possible, the edges were wrapped, such as the hood, grille opening, etc. I'm not sure, but they may use a special blade that has a limited cutting depth.
Custom is not only easier, but Better, for your reasons stated, plus others. There is no such special LCD blade, it's just pure Skill & experience! :D Nice Job. Let us know how it's holding up 6 mos. to a year from now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
how thick is that stuff?

looks so thin that it wouldnt do much :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bradical said:
how thick is that stuff?
I believe it's 6 mil film. 3M also makes a 12 or 14 mil film, but it does not conform well to compound curves and would have much more noticeable edges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
is it the same stuff that the dealer tries to sell you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bradical said:
is it the same stuff that the dealer tries to sell you?
I believe so, but I don't know if they use 3M or other brands. 3M is supposed to be the best, both from a protection standpoint, and appearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
i ask becuase, after the fact, i kinda wish i had done this with all of the chips on the front of my FX. i keep teasing my fiance to get get a G35 sedan when the honda lease is up and if she does, i think we would get the clear bra. i used to have a G35 myself and i really liked the car (except for all of the chips in the bumper and hood).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wish I had it done sooner - I got about 5 chips on the bumper in only 6 months... :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
PhilP69 said:
MustGoFastR said:
They didn't use a pre-cut kit? Man, I'd have been about to jump out of my skin, standing there watching them cut it by hand with a razor a fraction of an inch from my paint. :shock: Did they wrap the edges around the hood?
It's all custom fit - the bumper is done in one piece. Wherever possible, the edges were wrapped, such as the hood, grille opening, etc. I'm not sure, but they may use a special blade that has a limited cutting depth.
Custom is not only easier, but Better, for your reasons stated, plus others. There is no such special LCD blade, it's just pure Skill & experience! :D Nice Job. Let us know how it's holding up 6 mos. to a year from now.
They DO have special limited cutting depth knives; my installer showed me his (not used on mine, though, since I had a pre-cut kit installed). Wrapped edges are certainly better, but I bet he paid a heck of a lot more than the $395 I paid. Mine is holding up quite well after 15 months/16.5k miles. The mojority of small impacts leave behind no evidence whatsoever. In some places, rocks leave small scuffs or indentations in the film and I had one rock that hit at an angle and actually tore the film, but did not touch the paint. The scuffs can be buffed, the indentations aren't really noticable and I just slapped a dot of touch-up paint on the one nick and it's all but invisible. Keep in mind my car is black as well and EVERYTHING shows, so this stuff really works. Oh, I've never had any nicks or anything on any of the small areas that are exposed due to the edges not being wrapped, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
The pre-cut kits are usually a little less costly but not by much, the custom cut job usually comes out nicer. It all depends on the installer, I have noticed that when an installer gets good enough, he'd rather just custom cut it. If you wanna check out the pre-cut kits, go to http://www.xpel.com or stongard.com. These are the most popular pre-cut kits.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top