Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I just need to express my appreciation for all the various posts on the magic of the clay bar treatment of paint for convincing me to give it a try. None of the local auto parts guys carried any, but Pep Boys had the Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Kit for $16.99, so even though I thought this was probably a ripoff for a piece of clay, I decided to give it a try. The kit comes with a large spray bottle of detailer that is used to lube the paint for the clay treatment, and a small bottle of Mothers carnuba wax.

Now, to set the stage, I had already been incessantly washing and waxing this thing (with Waxing Frenzy) but was very unhappy with the feel of the paint. I used to have an LX400 that had paint a mile thick and was just plain lush, and this felt shallow and rough in comparison. I have a Brilliant Silver FX35, and wondered if it had to do with the color, my memory or paint quality. I had bought the FX used from a guy in Philly, and remembered that when I picked up the car it was really gritty feeling, so I immediately gave it some TLC when it came to my home (plus a garage).

Now back to the story at hand - I realized that just maybe all that grit was some kind of pollution becoming somewhat embedded in the paint, and that is why it never felt really perfect after waxing. I washed the car, then completely treated it with the clay bar (which took very little time - ~1hr or little less). As I was wiping the clay and refolding it on itself to get clean surfaces, I noticed all the little gray specks in it. Sure enough, when I was done it was smooth as silk. And then adding the carnuba brought out a shine I had not seen on the car and a sense of depth in the paint that rivaled the Lexus.

I am a believer - so much so that I actually told my wife I would clay her beloved grand caravan!

Can't say enough about what a difference it made - if you have an opportunity, give it a try. A little time and a couple towels are all you'll need for lots of satisfaction...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
next time follow clay with Zaino. will make you throw out the carnuba wax. Huh, Piniti?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts