Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I tried saving some $$$ and picked up an OBX cat back system designed for the 350Z/G35. I was really surprised as to the quality of the system, considering the price. 3" mandrel bent, polished stainless steel, with straight thru mufflers (perforated core design).

So I decided to get under the car and line the exhaust up to see if everything is roughly in the right place.

First, you will need that 6" extension pipe for the midpipe.

Second, you will need to extend the tips about 4 more inches.

Third, and sadly, the Y-pipe will not work with an AWD FX. The y-pipe looks to have the same mounting points. But the problem lies in the bends of the "y".

The OBX piece looks just like the Fujitsobo y-pipe for the G/350Z. (imagine a Y with short arms and a long stump) The transfer case hangs off to the left side of the transmission, right where the y-pipe bends in towards the center. The stock y pipe has long 'arms' and the bends towards the center are at the end, near the collector. (imagine a Y with long arms and a short stump.)

I was really hoping the y pipe would work. It looks like I'm gonna have to sell it, or find a place that can do creative welding.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Good to know about the Y-pipe and AWD; you must be the first to try and put a full cat-back (non-true dual) on an AWD. I'm sure a good muffler shop would be able to mod it for you; just have them use your stock one as a template.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did mention AWD, didn't I??

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
His (IssaFX) is AWD? Hmm, every Y-pipe I've seen thus far has been the same basic design. Any pics of the one he has?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Moved by me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure why this was moved to the FX35 section, since my post was about my car........an FX45.

No, Issa's FX is RWD. My reply was in answer to Ak1nza, who mentioned that Issa had the Fujitsobo exhaust.

Let me be VERY clear about this.

On an AWD FX, the Fuji style y pipe will NOT fit because of the transfer case.

The RWD FX does NOT have a transfer case, therefore, the Fjui style y pipe MIGHT fit (I don't know since I don't have a RWD FX35).

The OBX y pipe I bought is a very close copy of the Fuji, so it does NOT fit.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Oop, sorry, I'll put it back. Nothing here states you have a '45 and most exhaust threads pertaining to Z/G exhausts being used on an FX are for '35s, though your info. obviosly pertains to both the '45 and '35 AWD models.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sorry about that mhgsx...everything I'd read up to my prior post indicated that you were only talking about the 3.5. :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts